The Rangers

Kingsmills

I listened to the coverage of The Rangers first ever visit to Pittodrie on Sportsound on Saturday afternoon and was struck by two things.

Firstly; I could clearly hear vile sectarian singing almost from start to finish including 'The Billy Boys' with it's most offensive lyric. By all accounts the away section was awash with the body fluid of Irish Catholics and the Pontiff was being frequently sexually abused.

Such conduct, apart from being grossly offensive, is in breach of UEFA rules, in breach of the SFA's rules, against the rules of the SPFL and contrary to the criminal law. The old club inhabiting Ibrox came to be regularly sanctioned by UEFA for such conduct during European fixtures with the supine SFA and then SPL never taking any significant action.

Our supporters have been warned off relatively harmless and non malicious banter with our local rivals in the form of 'The Wheels On Your House' yet this disgraceful conduct on the part of a five year old club who's predecessors brought shame and financial pain to the whole of Scottish football not just for their bigotry but financial impropriety which may yet be established to be criminal seems to be turned a blind eye to.

Secondly; I note that the BBC have yet again been excluded from Ibrox presumably on the basis of yet another paranoid petulant huff. The BBC have a contract with the SPFL which provides valuable income to all clubs which, I suspect, stipulates the right to broadcast from all stadia and to pre and post match interviews with players and management. The Rangers are putting the organisation at risk of being in breach of that contract with the potential, if not for damages for breach of the current contract, for any future contract to be negotiated on reduced terms.

Rangers caused their own demise and, in the process, caused great harm to the reputation and finances of Scottish football by their conduct in their previous incarnation. Surely The Rangers can't be permitted special treatment to be allowed to do the same again.

Scottish football is potentially a great product and could and should enjoy a much higher and more positive profile furth of these shores but until the game is administered and regulated for the benefit of all rather than two large Glasgow clubs, one of which is in it's first season in the top tier, they will always drag us down. The latest manifestation of this bias is the scheduling and venues for the two League Cup Semi finals obliging Aberdeen fans to engage in a 300+ mile round trip for a lunch time kick off whereas Celtic and The Rangers get to play in their own back yard kicking off two hours later no doubt affording two hours additional drinking time to fuel the vitriol on both sides.

Time now for the other clubs to put aside petulant threats of boycotts and get together to put an end to the Weegie tail wagging the Scottish football dog.

• Agree 7

They had a chance at the time when the other erse cheek caused the referee strike. If all the clubs had showed some cojones and resigned from the league and formed their own, the ugly sisters would have to play each other every week. That would have put the cat among the pigeons :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Excellent post, Kingsmills.  Couldn't agree more.  It really is pathetic how various bodies do nothing about the conduct of this odious club and their equally obnoxious followers.  As well as the SFA and SPFL, the police take no meaningful action either despite the law being openly flouted.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if the BBC's contract did not have the kind of clauses in it which it ought to have.  Rather than requiring teams to provide access, interviews etc, it maybe details payments for such access which The Rangers would simply forgo. I can well imagine the SPFL agreeing to such an unsatisfactory contract under pressure from Ibrox.  If The Rangers are contractually obliged to provide access to the BBC then the BBC is probably unwilling to take action for breach of contract on the basis that they probably wouldn't then have the contract renewed next time round.  

The other clubs pussyfoot around the issues because they are worried that meaningful action against the big two would seriously affect revenues.  If action is to be taken it will have to be from outside and it would be good to see MSPs do some serious campaigning on this issue.  If I am suitably offended when we offer a warm Highland welcome to The Rangers on their first visit here, I just might write to local MSPs  to ask them to take up the issue with suitable bodies.

• Agree 2

They are the scurge of Scottish football, videos online smashing up Parkhead toilets, ripping up seats at Pittodrie, throwing seats, coins & cups of pi$$. Utter scum, would like to say its just a minority but its seems like reasonable numbers going by footage and its behaviour that both that club and its fans are proud off. They moved up through the lower leagues singing and spouting their bile and hatred with deplorable behaviour and these teams were lucky that they were in those leagues a short time - now they are back and we have to deal with them.

Sadly the SFA and Police Scotland seem to turn a blind eye, the media brush over the behaviour and its ignored into being accepted as the norm. On here there were heated words when some very minor issues arose at Pittodrie with some fans where it was made clear by the majority that our clubs name does not want to be tarnished yet at a club with 40k+ season ticket holders there never seems to be a voice speaking out - the board say little and the fans groups spout the same old lines - its like a cancer and a disease that cannot be cured and even moves through generations.

Not sure what the solution is until we (Scottish football) gets a governing body with a spine that will hit The Rangers (and any other significant offenders) where it hurts with real fines based on % of income - not a few thousand and a soft telling off but £100k's, closed door games and banning or expulsion from competitions. Publically when pressed all the bodies condem and say they fight to clean up Sottish football but until actions are there to back this up then nobody believes it.

• Agree 1

News flash kingsmills wants to talk about Rangers! In other news water is wet .

Think its pretty obvious where your allegiances lie with your consistent spouting of about all things sevco,the rangers ,zombies or watever name is flavour of the month.

You dont deal in facts you go by watever blogger or faceless twitterati yahoo says, for starters the BBC are not banned from ibrox they have chosen not to cover any games from there in support of bbc journalist who had his press pass removed because of unbalanced reporting.Also you state bigotry nd sectarianism but you fail to mention the sickening chants mocking the Ibrox disaster one of the greatest tragedies in Scottish history( did ur old trannie lose its reception at that point? )or the defacing of the Rangers team bus.Yes the billy boys is a disgrace but chants mocking an 8 year old boy who never returned from a football match offend much more or because its The Rangers or sevco is it ok to mock there dead? Next time you want to listen to Rangers play how about you turn the radio off nd go to the glenalbyn bar where im sure you will enjoy watching the other half of the old firm with your friends nd maybe u will join in with the songs nd chants that frequently get overlooked by the press nd people like you only hearing what u want to here. 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 4

8 hours ago, fox83 said:

News flash kingsmills wants to talk about Rangers! In other news water is wet .

Think its pretty obvious where your allegiances lie with your consistent spouting of about all things sevco,the rangers ,zombies or watever name is flavour of the month.

You dont deal in facts you go by watever blogger or faceless twitterati yahoo says, for starters the BBC are not banned from ibrox they have chosen not to cover any games from there in support of bbc journalist who had his press pass removed because of unbalanced reporting.Also you state bigotry nd sectarianism but you fail to mention the sickening chants mocking the Ibrox disaster one of the greatest tragedies in Scottish history( did ur old trannie lose its reception at that point? )or the defacing of the Rangers team bus.Yes the billy boys is a disgrace but chants mocking an 8 year old boy who never returned from a football match offend much more or because its The Rangers or sevco is it ok to mock there dead? Next time you want to listen to Rangers play how about you turn the radio off nd go to the glenalbyn bar where im sure you will enjoy watching the other half of the old firm with your friends nd maybe u will join in with the songs nd chants that frequently get overlooked by the press nd people like you only hearing what u want to here. 

I would hope it is indeed abundantly obvious where my allegiances lie, they lie, in football terms almost entirely with ICT subject to a soft spot for Clach who were my late father's team.

I confess that as a young child, I did briefly have a 'big team' and that team was Rangers. I was a child and knew no better. Thankfully. I do now.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 1

I admire your honesty (i have my doubts) as like yourself i to supported the blue half of Glasgow in my younger years It all goes back to the days standing in the howden end as a youngster ,blue was always my favourite colour & after all caley were the Rangers of the north due to the success of both clubs.

As i said its the blatant hatred u seem to have with all things Rangers that i fail to understand iv not once seen you post anything regarding the anti British songs,the glorifying of terrorists ,the support for palestine protest or the various political banners that occurs at celtic games home & away ,or i ask you again  have you yet condemned the Aberdeen fans for mocking the Ibrox disaster? is that not offensive to yourself being a fan of Scottish football? You seem to be offended by one club & one club only what happened ?did Rangers mess up your Saturday coupon a couple of times. 

Scottish football will never move on or be successful until the fans of every club accept that no matter how bad the crimes of one club were we actually need them more than ever as yes they bring unwanted baggage but they also bring the sponsors, the tv deals & they fill stadiums across Scotland along with the other lot.

Anyway fellow must dash some of us have work to do, have enjoyed the chit chat lets do it over a pint next time nd we can maybe discuss our favourite billy urquhart goal versus Thistle or if ud prefer your favourite parkhead moment lol.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 2

As a devoted Caley fan who followed Celtic in the old days I confess that I sang a lot of that Republican / Secretarian shitt (without really having a feckin clue what I was singing about). I suspect that you have may have done likewise in your own favoured list of ditties. I also suspect that you still hold a pretty strong loyalty to the team that used to be called Glasgow Rangers. When we talk about the scum from clubs other than the Old Firm we are talking about the minority. With the Old Firm it is more like a majority.

Hail, Hail :cheer01:

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

What's happening at Ibrox?  The club saying they have accepted Warburton's resignation and Warburton saying that he's not offered to resign!  What a shambolic club they are.

If Dave King say's he's resigned then he's resigned. He just doesn't know it yet.

Yet another The Rangers matter heading for litigation. Maybe they should stop playing football and start playing tennis as the most entertaining and significant drama takes place these days in the court rather than on the pitch.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 1

• 8 months later...
On 28/09/2016 at 8:44 AM, fox83 said:

I admire your honesty (i have my doubts) as like yourself i to supported the blue half of Glasgow in my younger years It all goes back to the days standing in the howden end as a youngster ,blue was always my favourite colour & after all caley were the Rangers of the north due to the success of both clubs.

As i said its the blatant hatred u seem to have with all things Rangers that i fail to understand iv not once seen you post anything regarding the anti British songs,the glorifying of terrorists ,the support for palestine protest or the various political banners that occurs at celtic games home & away ,or i ask you again  have you yet condemned the Aberdeen fans for mocking the Ibrox disaster? is that not offensive to yourself being a fan of Scottish football? You seem to be offended by one club & one club only what happened ?did Rangers mess up your Saturday coupon a couple of times. 

Scottish football will never move on or be successful until the fans of every club accept that no matter how bad the crimes of one club were we actually need them more than ever as yes they bring unwanted baggage but they also bring the sponsors, the tv deals & they fill stadiums across Scotland along with the other lot.

Anyway fellow must dash some of us have work to do, have enjoyed the chit chat lets do it over a pint next time nd we can maybe discuss our favourite billy urquhart goal versus Thistle or if ud prefer your favourite parkhead moment lol.

Have to agree with Fox here, have listened to Celtic games on radio home and away and the level of sectarian songs has just increased, also, since he posted this the green brigade area has been closed, uefa have fined Celtic for sectarian singing and a fan for attacking an opposition player, I suggest Kingsmills you take off the green blinkers. We don't want this in the Scottish game but taking sides doesn't help.

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect that the old  firm fans  ( Not all in fairness ) don't really  care about the football  . Their  motivation seems to be  to bring   chaos  if  they can't win or even if they do win.

Glasgow is a City not much different to Liverpool, the people of both Cities are similar, but in Liverpool the two teams get on well as can be expected of rivals.

I am perfectly in tune with Kingsmills in this  and agree with his thoughts.   You would have thought that wandering around the small towns in Scotland  playing the likes of Peterhead and  Montrose would have taught them a lesson, but it appears not.

I do feel for the genuine Rangers fans and their children  ,  My  suggestion to them is to go round to Partick  or  St. Mirren  and  take their kids there.

I refer the readers to my piece on Maidstone a lesson of true support.          Something of a sermon this I must apologise  if I am boring you.

If anyone has answer other than another draconian punishment  , they are wiser than me, which s  isn't hard  to be these days.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I do feel for the genuine Rangers fans and their children  ,  My  suggestion to them is to go round to Partick  or  St. Mirren  and  take their kids there.

I don't feel anything for Rangers or Celtic fans but you are making the (not uncommon on here) mistake of thinking that all or even most Rangers fans are in Glasgow. They are actually a nationwide pox - I suspect there are more people who would identify as Rangers or Celtic in Sneck than ICT. Every town and city in Scotland, from Falkirk to Forres, from Perth to Paisley, has people who either go to watch an Old Firm team and ignore their local side, or never go to football at all but still call themselves Rangers or Celtic supporters and, again, ignore their local side.

Anyway, thought this was a thread that needed a god kicking into life.

• Agree 1

Yes I suspect more fans of the ugly sisters leave Inverness every weekend and head down the A9 to watch those teams continue to destroy Scottish football. If half of those fans not just in Inverness but around the country supported their home town team and not go glory hunting then maybe we would have better teams across the country.

• Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/01/2018 at 3:42 AM, MorayJaggie said:

Yes I suspect more fans of the ugly sisters leave Inverness every weekend and head down the A9 to watch those teams continue to destroy Scottish football. If half of those fans not just in Inverness but around the country supported their home town team and not go glory hunting then maybe we would have better teams across the country.

Is your post not hypocritical? Your name is Moray Jaggie and you live in Burghead, Elgin (as addresses there have Elgin included in them). 

Should you not support your local team - Elgin City? 

Or are you just a glory hunter as well? 

:ohmy:

Edited by Guest

20 hours ago, MorayJaggie said:

No as I was born and bred invernessian. 

So why on earth do you live in Burghead?

Did you marry your sister or get a sixth finger sown on to qualify as a resident? :wink:

I am also an Invernessian, but with a capital I 

:whoosh:

Edited by Guest

34 minutes ago, Caman said:

So why on earth do you live in Burghead?

Did you marry your sister or get a sixth finger sown on to qualify as a resident? :wink:

I am also an Invernessian, but with a capital I 

:whoosh:

No my sister married my son who is my nephew. I moved for a job but have since moved to Aberdeen.

1 hour ago, MorayJaggie said:

No my sister married my son who is my nephew. I moved for a job but have since moved to Aberdeen.

Moray Jaggie = Ryan Christie.

Nice hair. :cheer01: