Hamilton -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

That was a surprisingly poor display after a few weeks of really disciplined and positive performances. Obviously it's unrealistic to expect the same level of performance in every game, but after a reasonably bright start, we lost any hold we had on the game and spent the rest of the first half, and parts of the second, just clinging on. With better finishing, Accies probably could have been three up at half time. I was surprised to see Mulraney dropped and Vigurs brought back into the middle of the park, altering a team that had just produced our best performance of the season, and although Vigurs, as usual, looked neat and tidy, it did seem that we were missing Polworth's energy and ability to close players down more quickly than Vigurs in the middle, and missing Mulraney's pace in the wide areas. When Mulraney was finally brought on, and then switched to the right after initially being played down the left, he produced our most incisive attacking moment up to that point by knocking the ball past Darian MacKinnon and tearing past him to get to the bye-line and fire over a cross which went behind, probably because he was fouled as he made it. From the resulting free kick, we had our best chance of the match, as Draper's downward header was saved brilliantly by the Hamilton sub keeper. With all of our strikers essentially being target men, we need much more of the sort of play that Mulraney produced here, and surely there is a strong case to be made for starting him on the right so he doesn't have to keep cutting inside.

At least, however, the equaliser was a thing of beauty, with Polworth picking up possession maybe twenty five yards out, making space for himself and turning onto a low drive which flew in to the bottom corner. The fact that he has this sort of shot in his locker is also, perhaps, another argument for playing him through the middle instead of out wide. Great in the end to get a point that we didn't really deserve, and maybe it's no bad thing thing if we can produce a strong reaction to this performance in our next game, with players like King and Mckay, who were much less effective today than in recent matches, hopefully upping their games again. A wee repeat of the December 2006 evening game against Rangers would do me fine; we do seem to be making a habit of last-minute goals this season, after all.

As for the aggro after the game, it was obvious that the Hamilton young team and our young boys were winding each other up throughout the game, but we only saw the tail end of what happened afterwards, so no idea who started what outside. There is a group of absolute wee welts who follow Accies, however, that we've seen noising people up and fighting among themselves at previous games, so it's no real surprise that if this sort of thing was going to happen, it would happen there.                

Edited by alternative maryhill
  • Agree 5

They made us look awful in the first half-I found myself questioning how many players they had! It really looked like they had an extra body on the pitch!

when we were on the ball, they closed us down quick and forced errors. When they were in possession they moved it so fast, with accurate one touch passes that carved up our defence.

much better in the second half, Richie must've read the riot act! It did look like it wasn't going to be enough though, but what a goal Polly! #hesoneofourown

that feeling you get when a last minute equaliser makes it feel like you've won! 

#comeonthecaleyjags

• Agree 2

Absolutely shocking performance from the point Accies scored until Polworth slotted home the equaliser. I won't dwell on this abject performance and take some solace from taking a point when we deserved nada. Onwards and upwards !

With regard to incidents after the game I missed the initial incident outside the ground but was party to an attack by the same four or five Hamilton dicks in the car park further from the ground. Absolute sh1thouse behaviour from these guys against a group of our younger fans who were clearly not looking for aggro. I sincerely hope these guys get their comeuppance at some point this season but fear they choose their targets carefully and focus on non combatants who are not looking for bother. 

I have to say that the performance of the local constabulary was nothing short of a disgrace. If we had a "firm" looking for bother then I'd almost understand if they chose to let them get it on but the police were simply too lazy or complacent to keep on top of a very small group of Accies neds who were allowed to run riot today. 

First time I've seen bother after a game since Highland League days and hope it's a one off but would hope we can collectively avoid a repeat at Hamilton in the future.

Unfortunately not the first incident at Hamilton, drum got stolen last season and we had to get the Chairman of Hamilton involved to get it back.  That's why CJT but got free tickets for this game and got to park the bus in the ground to try and avoid any trouble!

12 hours ago, ymip said:

With regard to incidents after the game I missed the initial incident outside the ground but was party to an attack by the same four or five Hamilton dicks in the car park further from the ground. Absolute sh1thouse behaviour from these guys against a group of our younger fans who were clearly not looking for aggro. I sincerely hope these guys get their comeuppance at some point this season but fear they choose their targets carefully and focus on non combatants who are not looking for bother. 

I have to say that the performance of the local constabulary was nothing short of a disgrace. If we had a "firm" looking for bother then I'd almost understand if they chose to let them get it on but the police were simply too lazy or complacent to keep on top of a very small group of Accies neds who were allowed to run riot today.

That's what these lads do sadly. I wasn't party to the whole thing but we've had plenty of problems with these neds in the past. Needless to say they weren't so keen to get fired in about some of the older / larger ICT fans who responded to their taunts. The police didn't seem too bothered about them either although I did get a telling off for telling the neds to f'ck off.

As for the game it was incredibly forgettable save for the goal by Polworth which seemed to be our first really 'direct' piece of play. A real comedown after some inspiring performances of late.

17 hours ago, us2 said:

sounds like there was some unsavoury incidents outside after the game Hamilton fans trying to provoke a reaction from our travelling support disgraceful

Our fans are not without blame here. Quite a few people saw one particular individual goading the Hamilton fans towards end of game. They take the bait and then this individual goes sniffling to the police that they were hiding behind a car and jumped out on him. Pitiful, pitiful. Then proceeded to be aggressive towards the police. Caley Thistle supporters used to have a good reputation in the football community sadly one or two individuals seem hell bent on spoling that. Getting drunk and behaving aggressively is not big and it's not clever. There was a lot of good natured singing and banter between the two sets of fans during the game. Now all we remember is the moronic behaviour of a few. The vast majority of our young fans are passionate about their football but also manage to be responsible and good natured. Hopefully these are the fans who will prevail. Rant over.

• Agree 7
  • Disagree 1

Are they simply getting nervous at the thought of IHE watching from the stands ? It certainly was nowhere near as bad as Tynecastle, although Hearts may well have hit five against us and we were fortunate that their last touch was very poor and their shooting was rushed and mainly way off target. The statistics will suggest that this was a close affair but I feel that we did NOT deserve to take anything from this and that was a real “smash and grab” in injury time. But playing poor away from home, coming away with a point and stretching the unbeaten run to four games. Well you shouldn’t complain but I have enjoyed better games down the park on a Sunday morning.

I wonder if other away teams lament the Hamilton experience. Due to the unfriendliness of local hostelries we enjoyed our pre-match bevvy in the Auctioneers in down down Glesga prior to catching the 14.20 train from Central Station. Then a wee trudge to through a shittty alley way and in to practically empty stadium. Attendance was given at 1611 but it did not even look like that. Only two stands in use. The Main Stand had three sections full and the rest sparsely populated. We must have had 200-300 but we were spread out all over the place an there was little atmosphere to enthuse about. The only craic was the exchanges between our Young Team and their Hamilton counterparts.

I don’t think that I will have to use much space to report on the actually game. We looked the part for the first 10 minutes but it was tippy-tappy stuff. Then we faded and let Hamilton take control. It looked like a Warren error allowed D’Acol to put the Accies ahead in the 18th minute. Their young kids basically looked like they had more energy and commitment until we went for broke in the last 10 minutes and Accies also looked as if they had run out of steam and settled for a 1-0 win. It sounds as if that is the story of their season.

Not sure why Foran decided to start Vigurs instead of Mulraney. He then took Mulraney on to play wide left whilst Hamiltons right flank looked as unsteady as one of the nearby slum tenements. Draper appeared to be in more of a centre forward role and it appeared that a lot of balls were being launched at him instead of Doumbouya. Again the match stats state that we had 7 attempts on target. Well we were looking dangerous only from dead ball situations. Mckay and Warren (twice) had half efforts in the first half. Draper had a great header saved by the substitute keeper – Scott Harrison – late on and then of course Polworths drive deep into injury time. I suppose that people will say that Foran got the substitutes right but I don’t. Our main savior was the amount of injury time which resulted from two stoppages for the keeper, time wasting by the Hamilton substitutions and Hamilton sitting back and us going fer broke. We could even have snatched three points if Doumbouya had put the last minute header on target. It was nice to see Dougie Imrie prostrate and distraught at the end.

And I have to add that Hamilton’s youth Academy appears to continue to bring up talented yooungtser. I would love to know their recipe for success. Docherty looks a winner and He and Crawford bossed the midfield which turned the whole game in their favour. Imrie to be fair did look illustrious and effective. But I feel that we missed a trick by not targeting the young lad, at left back, making his first appearance. I also thought that Sarris dominated and bullied Doumbouya.

Talking about bullying a wee mention for the so called Hamilton Youth Team. What a feckin firm. They joined us at the trudge back down the alley way to the Station. They spouted filth at families and disabled supporters. They passed by us and ignored our shouts of abuse. Some of them were 11 or 12 years old. They did not retaliate. They then grouped at the end of the alley in clear sight of the Polis and entered in to the dancing and come on gesturing. It looked more like Junior Strictly Come Dancing than Green Street.

I can’t even be bothered doing a Smileymometer as I think that I have summed up the performance previously. Fon Williams did nothing wrong. McKay looked less reassured. Warren and Meeking looked shaky at times but probably not helped by Hamilton totally bossing the midfield. Tremarco continues to be consistent and gets my MOM. Cant believe that we continue to play Polworth wide right and he proved that by coming through the middle for the late goal. I only noticed Tansey for the first time when he went off injured. Same could be said of Vigurs !! King had an off day. Draper had to slot in to three different roles but he looks wholly suited to the front hole role. The surface did not appear to bother him and he looked like our real driving influence. Sorry but I am still not enthralled by Dounbouya. I felt that he let Sarris bully him. Get him down the Gym and on the weights and a wee bit of sprint training as well. But again what service and support did he get. I have already decried taking Mulraney on to the left and when we switched we began to look dangerous. Boden simply looked disinterested and added nothing. Cole is clearly “green” but got involved, appears to have a good touch and pace. Then I bet Doran is one cheesed off punter forced to watch that for 97 minutes. So in essence the first 93 minutes were shocking but the last 4 were promising.

As fer Mr Cook – well we would have been better with Mary feckin Berry in the centre. He upheld the current reputation of Scottish officialdom.

Post match Richie added – “I thought we had the better chances, their keeper pulled off one or two decent saves, we had one cleared off the line so on chances alone I think we deserved a point. On overall play, I thought they were the better team.” Not sure if he was at the same game.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Anyway the REAL reason that the Hamilton Young Team shatt themselves in the alley leading to the Railway Station is because they encountered ICT Senior Citizens Squad, led by Donview and maself. It was like a throwback to the 70's when the Ferry and the Caley Animals combined.

old gits.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Hearach said:

Our fans are not without blame here. Quite a few people saw one particular individual goading the Hamilton fans towards end of game. 

here we go again...

yes, there was goading! of course there was, but that goading was inside the ground! and it hand been going back and forward the whole game, and likely as a result of the incident that happened last season.  i dont think a few wee scuffles after a match quite constitutes the idea that the image of our club is being brought into disrepute! 

glad to hear that some more senior members of our support actually stuck up for the lads, but this moaning about OUR OWN FANS is getting really quite annoying, when we struggle to bring in fans as it is!

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

S

12 minutes ago, ictfcsince94 said:

here we go again...

yes, there was goading! of course there was, but that goading was inside the ground! and it hand been going back and forward the whole game, and likely as a result of the incident that happened last season.  i dont think a few wee scuffles after a match quite constitutes the idea that the image of our club is being brought into disrepute! 

glad to hear that some more senior members of our support actually stuck up for the lads, but this moaning about OUR OWN FANS is getting really quite annoying, when we struggle to bring in fans as it is!

Sorry but if some of our fans look to cause trouble at a game, then I for one don't want these "fans" attending. Not at the game so cannot comment specifically on yesterday but having been verbally abused by some of our "young fans" after the County game when I told them to behave and not cause trouble outside the ground, if these are the same fans then as far as I am concerned they are not welcome.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 2

36 minutes ago, ictfcsince94 said:

here we go again...

I can only assume that you either weren't at the game and/ or are not aware of various incidents that took place yesterday. And I am glad you are glad to hear some of the more senior members of our support took part in this childish behaviour by also shouting abuse.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

There would appear to be only one "child" on this thread. I can't EVER remember when I was last at a game when the opposing supports did not have a go at baiting each other. All the problems were started by the Hamilton support. There was absolutely NO stewarding whatsoever and very little policing. The urchins actually tried to noise up the older "crew" at the end but instead of an "ambush" walked / ran past us with inane comments. Our responses were merely sharp, concise and well meaning. :lol: I am going to change ma signature.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Hamilton away.jpg

Actually pretty decent getting our usual 200 down to the game, but with us spread all over the stand it looks ****! Getting serious pelters on social media. No mention of course of the piffle home support.  Likely they were all at Ibrox! 

4 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

There would appear to be only one "child" on this thread. I can't EVER remember when I was last at a game when the opposing supports did not have a go at baiting each other. All the problems were started by the Hamilton support. There was absolutely NO stewarding whatsoever and very little policing. The urchins actually tried to noise up the older "crew" at the end but instead of an "ambush" walked / ran past us with inane comments. Our responses were merely sharp, concise and well meaning. :lol: I am going to change ma signature.

How the Inverness support is perceived and is perpetuated by our own support...

IMG_0590.JPG

how our own support perceive the Young Team/NSB's:

IMG_0591.JPG

Shanny deek mun!! We seem more intent on criticising our own support and booing our own team than anything else these days! 

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 2

29 minutes ago, ictfcsince94 said:

How the Inverness support is perceived and is perpetuated by our own support...

IMG_0590.JPG

how our own support perceive the Young Team/NSB's:

IMG_0591.JPG

Shanny deek mun!! We seem more intent on criticising our own support and booing our own team than anything else these days! 

This thread is taking a nasty turn with  remarks aimed at the people who give up a lot of their time to ensure all fans who travel to away games have the best experience . What chance do they have of success when you have immature adults condoning bad behaviour . We all need to pull together to nip this in the bud .

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

20 minutes ago, izzy said:

This thread is taking a nasty turn with  remarks aimed at the people who give up a lot of their time to ensure all fans who travel to away games have the best experience . What chance do they have of success when you have immature adults condoning bad behaviour . We all need to pull together to nip this in the bud .

Eh?! Who's condoning bad behaviour? And I'm certainly not criticising anyone for organising away trips! What I DO have issue with is that our image as supporters is that of the 'sweetie rustler' variety and there are members of our own support who perpetuate that by criticising the more vociferous amongst us. 

Violence is not the answer and is never acceptable, but goading and 'banter' between groups of fans is part of the football match experience.  I honestly don't think any of our fans travel to games with the intention of being involved in any argy-bargy but perhaps some lack the maturity to walk away from confrontations. 

It doesn't help when people who weren't even at the match make assumptions based on pre-conceived ideas.

as has been said previously, due to our small numbers at both home and away matches, these 'issues' seem to gain more attention than they really deserve and are no more serious than the handbags we saw on the pitch with Brad! 

All of the 'incidents' our supporters have been involved in could have been prevented and/or minimised by better policing and stewarding.

edit. 

And while I'm at it, what's with leaving home games early? We moan about poor attendances but still feel the need to be rushing from the ground five minutes before time or at the very least leaving our seats and obscuring the views of those remaining. It's not like there's 50,000 of us trying to get home! How off putting it must be for the players to watch an exodus when they haven't even finished playing! 

Edited by ictfcsince94

I really am quite bemused at the constant whining we seem to get from what I would imagine to be our younger supporters but, which failing, certainly the less mature, who appear to believe that there is some extra virtue in going to a football match and making a complete &rse of yourself in the process. On the other hand, if that's what they want to do then I'm quite happy to let them carry on - as long as they don't detract from the enjoyment of others or behave in an anti-social manner or break the law. On the other hand these people should also be tolerant of those who would prefer not to make the said &rse of themselves and who have actually grown up. They should also realise that they will eventually get to, say, approaching 60 and look back with some embarrassment on their previous demeanour....apart from the odd sufferer from Peter Pan Syndrome who will continue to behave in such a fashion even though they are approaching 60.

As for the young team, it seems to me that these kids are simply undergoing an anti-social rite of passage and, as time goes by, will steadily morph into acne-ridden little garden gnomes in baseball caps, peering over the dashboards of sandwich boxes on wheels with pen!s-substitute exhausts as they thrash them about the city streets.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

8 hours ago, ictfcsince94 said:

Eh?! Who's condoning bad behaviour? And I'm certainly not criticising anyone for organising away trips! What I DO have issue with is that our image as supporters is that of the 'sweetie rustler' variety and there are members of our own support who perpetuate that by criticising the more vociferous amongst us. 

Violence is not the answer and is never acceptable, but goading and 'banter' between groups of fans is part of the football match experience.  I honestly don't think any of our fans travel to games with the intention of being involved in any argy-bargy but perhaps some lack the maturity to walk away from confrontations. 

It doesn't help when people who weren't even at the match make assumptions based on pre-conceived ideas.

as has been said previously, due to our small numbers at both home and away matches, these 'issues' seem to gain more attention than they really deserve and are no more serious than the handbags we saw on the pitch with Brad! 

All of the 'incidents' our supporters have been involved in could have been prevented and/or minimised by better policing and stewarding.

edit. 

And while I'm at it, what's with leaving home games early? We moan about poor attendances but still feel the need to be rushing from the ground five minutes before time or at the very least leaving our seats and obscuring the views of those remaining. It's not like there's 50,000 of us trying to get home! How off putting it must be for the players to watch an exodus when they haven't even finished playing! 

8 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

I really am quite bemused at the constant whining we seem to get from what I would imagine to be our younger supporters but, which failing, certainly the less mature, who appear to believe that there is some extra virtue in going to a football match and making a complete &rse of yourself in the process. On the other hand, if that's what they want to do then I'm quite happy to let them carry on - as long as they don't detract from the enjoyment of others or behave in an anti-social manner or break the law. On the other hand these people should also be tolerant of those who would prefer not to make the said &rse of themselves and who have actually grown up. They should also realise that they will eventually get to, say, approaching 60 and look back with some embarrassment on their previous demeanour....apart from the odd sufferer from Peter Pan Syndrome who will continue to behave in such a fashion even though they are approaching 60.

As for the young team, it seems to me that these kids are simply undergoing an anti-social rite of passage and, as time goes by, will steadily morph into acne-ridden little garden gnomes in baseball caps, peering over the dashboards of sandwich boxes on wheels with pen!s-substitute exhausts as they thrash them about the city streets.

8 hours ago, ictfcsince94 said:

edit. 

I was at game on Sat and saw first hand what was happening ,and yes I agree there was equal amounts of abuse from both sets of fans .This is not anything new ,and actually sometimes the banter /singing can be more entertaining than the game , and believe me nobody enjoys a bit of banter more than I do .Saturday was a bit different as I was also at the Hamilton game when our boy was attacked and had his drum stolen .The outcome of this was whoever was on our supporters bus that night  got free entry on Sat as an apology from Hamilton .Now do you think that one of our younger fans holding up a drum and making rude gestures to opposition at the end of the game is acceptable Then the inevitable happens . 

I hope I've made my point clear . 

As for leaving a game early no idea what this has to do with current thread but I've personally never done it but I'm sure people have different reasons for this .

• Agree 1