Motherwell -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

a very satisfying evening .... hope I am able to say the same thing later tonight after the Toronto game. TFC take on Philadelphia in the first round of the MLS playoffs tonight ... its a one-off knockout game here in Toronto. Winners go on to face NYC FC on Sunday

95% of this post belongs in other football thread :wink:

Just kiddin hope you get a result as good as :ictscarf:

Great result and much improved performance, hopefully that now kick starts Doumb into a run of goals

The other results just show how tight this league is, yet again teams dropping points you wouldn't expect - that's us on 13 points from 11 games, hardly an outstanding haul but sitting in 6th and 5 points of 2nd yet only 4 off 11th. Other than Celtic who have games in hand so may yet take 31 from 33 points after the 11, to have 2nd place teams on only just over half the available just shows the gap Celtic have and how competitive the rest are. Its been an inconsistent first round set of results, but gives something to build on but I think we need to be a bit more ruthless especially at home where we have dropped points to Killie and Rangers recently but in both cases know we should have done better.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

a very satisfying evening .... hope I am able to say the same thing later tonight after the Toronto game. TFC take on Philadelphia in the first round of the MLS playoffs tonight ... its a one-off knockout game here in Toronto. Winners go on to face NYC FC on Sunday

I wonder if 12th Man put a spread bet on Philadelphia :smile:

Did not see that coming especially at half time. In the first half I thought we were pretty poor and struggled to really attack Motherwell. Whilst we largely looked okay at the back the better of the chances in the first half fell the way of the home side but they were mostly half chances which were wasted. Well's best chance came from a nice ball floated into the box which was laid off to Moult (I think) who hit the side netting. For Inverness we struggled to get a grip of the game and really create anything. Polworth was culpable of giving the ball away far too frequently in the first half and, along with Doran, the other wide man for us last night, often drifted infield leaving us with very little width going forward. A lot of our promising attacks were simply broken down by Well crowding out the midfield.

Second half we were much better. Polworth seemed to move infield, Draper dropped slightly in front of Tansey and Vigurs seemed to have a free role roaming across the middle of the pitch. The opening goal came from a Brad "Hungry Wolf" Mckay cross from the right which Motherwell failed to clear and Tremarco popped up to poke the ball home via the crossbar from a couple of yards out. Doran came off for King who I felt gave us a bit more of what we needed on the left wing. Doran was frequently cutting infield but King, for once, tended to hug the touchline and drive for the goal line before getting a cross in.

A Vigurs corner saw Doumbouya stab the ball in from close range following a corner which Motherwell again struggled to clear and he almost nabbed a second when King dug out a cross which Doumbouya sent goalwards but Samson scooped the ball wide.

Polworth rounded things off with a fine shot from about 25 yards which beat Samson and crept inside the post to put a bit of gloss on the scoreline. Well could have had a goal back but it was disallowed for offside. I doubt we'll see a replay which offers any kind of evidence whether that was the correct decision or not.

Overall a fine result with a much improved ICT performance in the second half. Tremarco and Mckay were probably our standouts. Polworth improved a lot after the break and Vigurs was pretty good without being overly spectacular. He did perform an outrageous turn to breeze past a Well player which I hope was caught by the cameras. King also did well after he came on. Shame he doesn't seem to perform over 90 minutes yet. Good confidence boost going into Saturdays match.

• Agree 3

17 hours ago, ferben1994 said:

95% of this post belongs in other football thread :wink:
Just kiddin hope you get a result as good as :ictscarf:

Hey ! the matchday thread says "Discuss ICT & other games in this thread as they happen" .... so I am covered :wink: but yes, the result was a very satisfying 3-1 victory with a great atmosphere in the ground. good day all round for me with ICT winning and then that ! next up, NYC FC - with David Villa, Frank Lampard, and Andrea Pirlo come to town on Sunday for the semi-final 1st leg. Will talk about that in another thread though ..... 

8 hours ago, RiG said:

.....Polworth was culpable of giving the ball away far too frequently in the first half and, along with Doran, the other wide man for us last night, often drifted infield leaving us with very little width going forward. A lot of our promising attacks were simply broken down by Well crowding out the midfield.

Second half we were much better. Polworth seemed to move infield....

....Well could have had a goal back but it was disallowed for offside. I doubt we'll see a replay which offers any kind of evidence whether that was the correct decision or not.

.....Tremarco and Mckay were probably our standouts.....

Thanks, RiG - useful account! A few things: The narrowness of the team with Polworth and Doran is not a surprise - it's been that way with Polly all season and Doran is often like that on the left. Much better to play him central or down the right....as Foran clearly did at half time.

Moult's effort was just offside - see BBC highlights.

Tremarco and Mckay standouts AGAIN - great to have such effective full backs!

This is how I saw us lineup overall between the first and second halves. obviously it might be skewed given we were much more attacking in the second half and of course it's just my thoughts but certainly a few changes seemed to evident - 1) Polworth playing more centrally, 2) Draper dropping a wee bit from his more advanced position, 3) King playing much more as a wide man compared to Doran who seemed to be playing very narrow and 4) Mckay getting a lot of space down the right all to himself to attack.

Lineups.png

• Agree 4

Looking at the league table, a couple of things caught my eye.  I hadn't realised that our games have contained more goals than every other team except Celtic. Only them and Aberdeen have scored more than us, whilst only Killie have conceded more.

It's slightly surprising to be as high as 6th given the results we've had.  If you extrapolate our points per game across the season (very simplistic, I know) we'd end up with 45 points. That's 7 less than last season and would put us in 10th place - but well clear of relegation.

Having now played every team once, I would describe this start to the season as no less than "satisfactory" given our rookie manager and limited resources. If Foran can keep learning and if any of our strikers can become reasonably prolific, there's potential to do much better than satisfactory.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Yngwie said:

Looking at the league table, a couple of things caught my eye.  I hadn't realised that our games have contained more goals than every other team except Celtic. Only them and Aberdeen have scored more than us, whilst only Killie have conceded more.

It's slightly surprising to be as high as 6th given the results we've had.  If you extrapolate our points per game across the season (very simplistic, I know) we'd end up with 45 points. That's 7 less than last season and would put us in 10th place - but well clear of relegation.

Having now played every team once, I would describe this start to the season as no less than "satisfactory" given our rookie manager and limited resources. If Foran can keep learning and if any of our strikers can become reasonably prolific, there's potential to do much better than satisfactory.

The difference being that we seem to be picking up draws where last season we would be leaving with no points.

4 minutes ago, ictfcsince94 said:

The difference being that we seem to be picking up draws where last season we would be leaving with no points.

Yes, the happy knack of scoring late goals has been our saving grace several times this season.  Long may it continue, especially if these goals are for wins.

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic