Inverness CT -V- Hearts

Scotty

Feel a bit disappointed not to come away with a win after the performance put in by the team and the challenges that had to be overcome with the loss to injury of Fon Williams, Tremarco, Doran and Vigurs. Don't know what happened to Fon Williams but Tremarco looked like a hamstring injury and Doran and Vigurs looked like groin injuries so all could be out for a few weeks. Had we kept them all on, result may well have been different.

Back to the game and, to be honest, only one team tried to play football and it wasn't Hearts. If anyone ever accuses ICT of being a physical team, they should look at Hearts. Yet again some of their play acting was dreadful and in this they were aided and abetted by a truly woeful refereeing performance. Don't think Doumboya got any protection from the ref and was constantly being fouled. Glaringly obvious pushes by Hearts went unpunished. Craig Thomson was truly truly dreadful and should be ashamed of such a poor performance.

While we are still a work in progress as a team, if we can keep these players together, we can go places as a team, maybe not this season but the potential is there. The public of Inverness need to get out and support this team as today was really good entertainment.

The only disappointment was failing to hold onto a two goal advantage but, aside from that and the injuries, a very positive day.

Firstly, we witnessed a hugely entertaining match at the TCS, just how often were we able to say that last season ? Secondly, after a shaky and indifferent start to his personal season, we welcomed back the David Raven of old who had an outstanding match despite playing out of position and fully justifying the new contract that the Chairman agreed with him at the end of last season. Thirdly, now that he is coming to terms with the particular demands of the league, we may just have that dependable source of goals we have been badly missing since Billy McKay went on his way.

Lastly and by no means least, a special word for our young goalkeeper who did not look at all out of place despite being thrust into the biggest game of his career at the very last moment.

Could, and probably should, have won that. 

Thought the Hearts defence were all over the place in the first half, and might have got more than two goals. Hearts first goal came after a slip by one of our defenders and changed the momentum of the game. 

Hearts were obviously told to be more physical in the second half, and unfortunately the referee was complicit in allowing them to do that. The first equaliser was disappointing in that the ball was allowed to travel a long way. It was pleasing that we came back to take the lead, but then we sat too deep, struggled to get the ball out, and it felt like a matter of time before we conceded again. In fact it felt like we were hanging on a bit at the end. 

Given that we lost Fon Williams and Tremarco, I'd have happily taken a point, but it does feel a bit like a missed opportunity. 

I though Doombouya played well, he held the ball up,well and took his goal well. The Hearts centre backs were all over him - it was like WWE at times - and a stronger referee would have given him more protection. Polworth stuck to his wide position well, and it was good to see Doran back - I think he gave us an out. The defence generally coped well with the changes, and I though Mackay had a steady game. 

Hearts seemed quite happy to be physical when it suited them, but became unbelievably fragile when they were tackled. Walker in particular wouldn't have looked out of place in a synchronised diving team. 

The referee was appalling. The yellow cards he was flashing at the end were ridiculous, and identical fouls at the other end were not similarly punished. He fell for everything Hearts did, and the stuff he missed was embarrassing. 

A decent display by us, and at least there was plenty of entertainment today. 

Great seeing Doran start. Composure and creativity on the ball, cool head to score. Hope he's not out again. Like having a new signing.

A little disappointed with draw after 2-0, 3-2 up but Hearts could have edged it in the end so can't complain too much.

Hearts either played the ref like a piano or he's a closet Jambo who came out today. That simple. Most people I walked past after the game were talking about him. They just had to fall over (embarassingly given their obvious physicality) to get a free kick. We were often man handled and usual got nothing. Loved Draper's sarastic applause of a positive decision near end. Said it all.

Can't helped wondering what the score might have been with OFW. Cammy Mackay did OK but, with OFW's miracles of recent weeks, he might have prevented one or two who knows. Hope he's back soon. It's a shame Brill seems to be rotting on the bench at Motherwell.

Edited by cif73
  • Agree 1

One of those games where I would have taken a draw beforehand but felt disappointed with the draw at the end.  We gave away two shockers but in general it was a pretty solid performance all round in what was an exciting end to end game.  Having lost OFW in the warm up and then Tremarco soon after the start we did brilliantly to establish a 2 goal lead.  On reflection, a draw is a good result but what will be more important is the seriousness of the various injuries.

Special mention from me has to go to Lonsana Doumbouya.  I thought he put in a fantastic shift and worked the Hearts defence very hard.  He held the ball up and distributed the ball well under a lot of (usually illegal) pressure.  He thoroughly deserved his goal and I hope the performances like that will give him that little extra confidence and sharpness that translates into scoring for fun.

A real blow to lose Tremarco who has been the season's stand out player, but what a great performance off the bench from Dave the Rave.   

• Agree 3

A very enjoyable game. We could and should have won, but equally we could have lost!

Fon Williams was holding his side in the warm up, so not surprised that MacKay started. His kick outs were very good, but I just wondered if we defended deeper to try to protect him, and at times that got us into trouble. My only other criticism was a couple of times we had runners at set pieces which came to nothing as we steadfastly did not try to take any quickly.

i hope Tremarco is ok, but credit Raven who did very well, and has probably not had a better finish.

I thought the ref was poor, as Hearts were playing for decisions and Neilson was mouthing all afternoon (and outside his area shouting instructions).

Doran back is great news, and hope he remains fit. Vigurs was clearly struggling for a while before he went off.

So, disappointed not to win, relieved not to lose, but a very enjoyable afternoon.

Celtic next week, then Aberdeen, so a tough run, but 14 points in the last 9 games (when County have only taken 4) is very encouraging!

Well done all!

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

Firstly, we witnessed a hugely entertaining match at the TCS, just how often were we able to say that last season ?

True, and following on from that, only runaway leaders Celtic have scored more goals than us this season!

Scary that when the crowd was 3500 and Hearts fans numbered about 900-1000 makes our fan base look on a downward tumble!   what do we have to do?

Bearing in mind the population of the City and surrounding area this level of attendance is quite poor, the club seem to be trying hard but is it enough?

Today was a pretty exciting match, goals, bit of niggle,shyte referee(as usual) lots of entertainment for the fans, but still the attendance is poor, wonder what happened to the fans who turn out for the Rangers and County games?

It was the third home Saturday game in a row and I would question the amount of ICT fans at the Rangers match anyway.

A good game, with a good vocal support coming from the young team. 

That's what sells the game to others.

Expect a good turnout for the Dons.

• Agree 1

Quite an incredible game, loads of action, goals and questionable refereeing. Strong start from ICT with Doumbouya passing up a great chance to open the scoring when Tremarco chipped the ball in from the left but the resultant header hit the bar. Tremarco was injured putting the cross in and was replaced by Raven at left back who opened the scoring a few minutes later. Polworth chipped the ball into the box and found Draper who had stolen in behind the Hearts defence and he cushioned the ball down into the path of the inrushing Raven who steered an effort past Hamilton to put inverness one up.

Hearts hadn't really done too much of note apart from lump long balls forward but they had started to press ICT back when they were hit on the counter attack. After a Hearts corner was cleared Vigurs linked quickly with Polworth to send Doumbouya into the box and he lifted the ball over the onrushing Hamilton to put Inverness firmly in control. But in the lead up to half time Hearts were very much on top in an attacking sense and grabbed a goal back when Johnsen was played in after a slip by Meekings and he nearly burst the net to bring Hearts back into the game just before the break. I'm not sure how much of a difference the slip by Meekings really made, I don't think he was going to cut it out, but Johnsen seemed to have a lot of space.

There was an element of luck for the second Hearts goal which came just after the break. A deep cross from the left touchline from Rheras (?) evaded all the players in the box as well as the despairing Mackay and ended up in the next. Whilst it could be argued it was a bit of a lucky goal for Hearts I was disappointed by how easily we let the ball sail through with Meekings appearing to misjudge the flight of the ball before it bounced in.

From there on Hearts really dominated possession and kept ICT hemmed in for long periods. Now it was Inverness who were resorting to long balls up the pitch to relieve the pressure on the defence and it was from one of these speculative balls forward that saw the third goal for the home side. Vigurs leathered the ball high and long in the general direction of Doran but he looked like he would be beaten to the ball by Cowie who should have easily mopped it up however he got into all sorts of bother and Doran won the ball before coolly slipping it under Hamilton to restore the lead.

Again, Hearts upped the pressure and forced three corners in a row. Each time Inverness struggled to clear and it was after the third corner that Hearts grabbed another equaliser. A poor attempted clearance saw Hearts back on the attack and Cowie feed Djoum who somehow found the net with a low shot to restore parity. 

Disappointing to have conceded three goals at home. Defensively we didn't look great at points however we were obviously unsettled with the loss of Tremarco (and Fon Williams in the warm up) so all things considered we probably did quite well. Raven was solid at left back which was pleasing given it isn't his natural side. Doran had a good game before he came off and Polworth also performed well but was absolutely burst before the Hearts third goal and probably should have been subbed. MotM for ICT was probably Doumbouya. He missed a great chance early on but took his goal well and did a power of defensive work chasing and harrying Hearts players and had a good few tackles as well to win the ball back.

Overall a cracking game which will probably be given about 2 minutes on Sportscene so they can talk about Rangers.

• Agree 7

In many respects a great result, especially after being pegged back to 2-2 ...wish I could have been up North for this one. Is Doumbuoya growing into his role and game?

In an unrelated note I watched a good Aberdeen v Celtic game on the box earlier, and poor old Miles Storey left stuck on the bench and Ryan Christie nowhere to be seen, aside from the obvious financial benefit, football-wise both players going nowhere in building reputations whereas if we only had the means, how good would it have been for both us and them to have kept these two guys? Oh well.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Eagle4Caley said:

In many respects a great result, especially after being pegged back to 2-2 ...wish I could have been up North for this one. Is Doumbuoya growing into his role and game?

In an unrelated note I watched a good Aberdeen v Celtic game on the box earlier, and poor old Miles Storey left stuck on the bench and Ryan Christie nowhere to be seen, aside from the obvious financial benefit, football-wise both players going nowhere in building reputations whereas if we only had the means, how good would it have been for both us and them to have kept these two guys? Oh well.

In fact, Miles didn't even make the bench this week! 

3 minutes ago, wynthank15 said:

IHE what's with the "WE" why pick on the Free Presbyterians of which I am proud to be a member? they are a godly congregation. I know this is not ICT related but you started it.

Stick to football.

Please stick to the topic. Any more such posts and you will be excluded from posting on this thread.

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic