Greg Tansey...

scottbamby

Im probably his biggest fan, but am I the only one who thinks Greg Tansey is well overdue being dropped? He hasn't been himself since the Aberdeen saga. Consistently gives the ball away, offers very little protection to the back four, set pieces are consistently poorer, and just lets games pass him by. He used to be the anchor who everything we did flowed through - now he hardly looks for the ball!

I find it particularly peculiar as personally I rate Liam Polworth as our top prospect - shifting him out wide to accommodate an ineffectual Tansey seems bizarre, especially when it means dropping King or Doran!

• Agree 1

I for one completely agree with you there. Any of the players who haven't been performing under Foran have been dropped even just for a game, but Tansey hasn't once and his form has been below par, to say the least. It'll be interesting to see who replaces him this weekend with him being suspended, and whether they can do well enough to give Foran options in the next match. I personally think Tanseys hearts not in it any more, for whatever reason and he's not showing that level of determination and commitment he once was

• Agree 1

Since the start of the year, Tansey has turned back into the player he was in his first spell with us - a decent touch of the ball and the odd long range drive but too often goes missing, short passes go astray and far too keen to try the 'Hollywood Pass'. Ross Draper was dropped earlier in the season for far less. 

Considering he's missing Saturday's game, I do wonder should we get a positive result if this will turn into a good excuse to see him benched. 

• Agree 1

I agree. I think Tansey should of been dropped long ago. Its just a pity Liam Polworth has got injured just when Tansey is going to miss the Aberdeen game due to suspension. Polworth would of been the ideal player to come in in Tanseys position and allow King or Doran to start out wide. A central pairing of Draper and Polworth would be a decent fit in my mind.

• Agree 1

Regrettably I agree with everyone else here.  There was a time he would have been my first name on the team sheet but he is generally pretty anonymous these days.  Draper, Polworth and the oft criticised  Vigurs have all been more effective this season.  When he does get fired up he is more likely to lunge into a reckless tackle than deliver something positive.  There was a time when he would give useful central support to the attack but he frequently sits too deep now.  On current form, I can't see Aberdeen maintaining their interest in him.  Such a shame for such an obviously talented player.  Still the go to for penalties though.

• Agree 1

Some of the comments here are a bit harsh, but I think it is fair to say that he is not as influential as he has been in the past. That could of course be due in part to the new manager wanting him to play in a certain way. 

• Agree 2

Well I suppose you folk have got to snipe at someone now that J H has gone.

There are many good reasons why a player can go 'off'', take David Raven for example his form dropped because he was trying too hard to live up to the fans' expectations.

Tansey is still performing well enough to justify his selection and the Team needs his influence.

• Agree 5

Tansey's game is his passing, distribution and vision, perhaps there has to be a link that since we lost a lot of our creative players who could read the game such as Christie, Watkins, Mckay it looks like Tansey isn't performing, where passes that once he would find players running onto or in positions is lacking? Our forward line has changed a lot and over time familiarity is required, they need to learn his game as much as he does theirs, currently he looks a frustrated player who is trying to compete alongside Vigurs playing the same type of role.

There is no doubt his natural ability to play a pass, hit a free kick or nerves of steel when we get a penalty are enough why he warrants selection. During games he works hard and while not everything comes off for him just now I think we are stronger with him in the side than without.

• Agree 1

I am actually nowhere near as annoyed as i should be if we we're to lose Greg.

For me he has been one of if not the biggest  disappointment of this season.

Given every  start  possible never dropped and am really struggling to think of anything great he has done  this season that stands out.

If he leaves am fine with it, even if it is to Aberdeen.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

There's no question that Tansey hasn't hit the same peaks he once did after the sorry transfer saga with Aberdeen in January but I'm still a massive fan of the guy. He's still one of our best players even playing below par and the first name on the team sheet pretty much every week he is available. I feel he's almost become symbolic of ICT since his return such is his importance to the side. Sadly I think his departure is inevitable and whilst he may not have been at his brilliant best over the last few months I would still be very sad to see him go. Patchy form or not if he decided to stay with us even for another season I'd be delighted.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

Interesting thread! Certainly, Tansey's not been very consistent over the past 12 months: Crisis in confidence? Eyes elsewhere? Asked to play a different role? Who knows? I said at the time that we might have been better taking the cash from Aberdeen when offered, rather than risking losing him for free, which almost certainly happen at the end of this season. I agree with the comment above about Polworth - IHE's suggestion of Tansey for Storey + cash in Jan is a cracker!

• Agree 1

Except...would Storey relish what he might view as a backward step to ICT and could we possibly afford the wages that he has become accustomed to now?  And is Aberdeen still interested in Tansey if he is not still consistently showing the best that he can offer to the team who is currently paying his wages?

I also like the comment about the possibility of his not now being able to rely on players being in the right spot for his passes? If so what's to stop him doing the surging forward himself on occasion to show how keen he is?

If he wants a move he may  achieve that only if he  adopts the aggressive attitudes and dynamism of his boss ,Richie Foran, in the latter's former days as a player which wasn't that long ago?

Just a thought or two...

I think he was definitely missed from the midfield against Aberdeen and truly cannot believe some of the criticism he has been getting on this forum. Has Tansey been our worst performer this season, far from it and while he may not be hitting his normal high standards, he should still be one of the first names on the team sheet as he does offer something different for our midfield. As for being dropped, it wasn't that long ago that many posters on here were wanting a certain  forward dropped and looked how that has turned out.

As for a deal with Aberdeen for Storey, that is a complete non starter.

Except that nobody is saying that he is a bad person. Just that his form is claimed by some fans on this site to be off this season. If so then it's up to Richie to offer a word of encouragement and to remind him that unless his form (i.e. at least his effort) improves then the chances of his getting a move to the Dons or elsewhere could be  be severely restricted OR  to simply let him know honestly that he may be dropped if he doesn't put in more effort.

If it's about complacency or a lack of  motivation, or getting to the root of the problem(s) of a player gone stale, then that's the Manager's responsibility  and he has to take action one way or the other if he feels that the player is not playing to his potential. Mr. Foran has a good eye and a shrewd grasp of these matters and so it's  fair  to expect that he should  take action. If after these options  have been used to get to him the player does not respond then complacency could be the root of the issue. Yep.

:wave::ictscarf:

I agree with the statement that tansey should be dropped. He's not played his best this season and feel he's not got his confidence in himself or playing anymore. He's a good player and I just wish he get back to how good he used to be.