Greg Tansey...

scottbamby

How can we think that the Dons will continue to be interested in a player who can so easily be depressed, or gone off the boil through disappointment or feel aggrieved at what he may feel is his divine right to a transfer on demand to better his career, or even just plain boredom or such, just baffles me.

The owners of Aberdeen F.C. are ambitious (because they have invested tons of money in their new stadium for one thing) and need players  who will constantly have a forward-looking and positive attitude to  their game and who will give their all for the club. Otherwise, Jimmy,  it's....TTFN...... Ta Ta For Now.

And perhaps it would not be a good thing for Miles Storey to return to ICT, deflated in his ambitions. It might overwhelm him and lead to him turning into  another player with a definite lack of interest. Frank Kelly speaking, methinks it's not good to go back, only forward into the unknown. If it fails and it hurts then that's fine since you will have learned another of life's lessons one of which is either to put more effort into your place in the scheme of things or quit and move on until you do find your niche. Been there, done that, like. :ictscarf:

• Disagree 2

3 hours ago, Donview said:

Strong rumour circling Aberdeen this week that he is indeed Dons bound and we are getting Storey back plus Callum Morris.

I would not be too unhappy if this comes to pass.  At the moment we need a forward more than a midfielder.  With a bit of luck Polworth will be back in January and he can fill Tansey's role.

• Agree 1

Doubt the Storey or any other loan is on the cards but if they want Tansey they can have him for £50k which is 1/5th of what they should have paid last year if they wanted him (miserable b******s).

Polworth is our attacking option these days and £50k would give us an extra player next year

No idea why there is such feeling towards tansey on here, one of our most gifted players. His form may have dropped off but name a player who hasn't this season, we know his qualities and based on our limited resource and options he's better than most. There may be factors from last season affecting him only he knows that, but perhaps the new management or tactics don't use him effectively enough? There and over worse performers this season but seems he is being made a scapegoat by some and they want him out, much like Hughes last year - if Greg goes who next to vent at?

• Agree 1

I don't see Tanz being used as a scapegoat at all, every player has been 'outed' for having bad performances- Vigs, Tansey, Warren Draper etc.  Note that these are all our 'Stalwarts' the players you want to step up when we're having a bad run. Also likely to be our highest earners as well, so it's only right that they get some stick for playing sh1te! 

As paying customers we have every right to vent on here if we're not happy with the product. 

And yes, Yogi got it in the neck last year for the games being miserable as sin, which they were, and regardless of the results, the games are a better spectacle to be watching...

Many people identified that with Richie taking over this wouldn't be the smoothest of seasons and perhaps we've been lucky with the way other results have fallen, but I expect things aren't going to go smoothly for the rest of the season either. But sitting in last place, just 3 points off the top 6....not exactly a major drama to be fair.

And if our 'top' players continue to play below their par, then they should expect a hard time on here.

Richie's time will come-if he proves to be as stubborn over style/formation/tactics as his predecessor then he will be in line for some stick too...but it's early days in the Foran era...DONT PANIC!

#believeinthebeard #dontpanic #topsix #prideofthehighlands 

• Agree 2

• 3 months later...

Big call whether we play him again this season. Is he really going to be 100% committed to the predicament we are in just now? In our position we need everyone to give 100% to try and save ourselves. Not a go at Tansey but if our survival is to depend on a 50/50 tackle where injury is likely, will he stick his foot in? He isn't playing for his future, that's safely tucked up now.

Edited by Broonerz
Grammar

I don't see it as a big call at all, despite the conflict of interest. He will undoubtedly want ICT, his teammates and friends, to stay up, plus he has no desire himself to be part of a failed, relegated team.

• Agree 2

No real surprise that he is going, finally.  In hindsight, it might have been better to take the money for him in the January window 15 months ago, when his likely move to Aberdeen was first mooted.

Personally, I have liked Tansey. Definitely one of our better signings.  We'll miss his free kicks and especially, penalty kick taking.  He has been a good servant and I wish him well, but probably best that we don't use him over these last few matches this season.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

I don't see it as a big call at all, despite the conflict of interest. He will undoubtedly want ICT, his teammates and friends, to stay up, plus he has no desire himself to be part of a failed, relegated team.

Whilst I agree mostly with that I always keep thinking back to when Wyness signed a PCA with Hearts. He never mentioned it until the end of the season and he, allegedly, didn't want Hearts to announce anything until the season was over. No doubts were cast over his commitment to the side. Tansey now finds himself in a difficult position were even the slightest hint of shitebaggery will likely led to criticism.

That said, look at how Graeme Shinnie performed after his PCA was announced. He seemed to get better!

The timing still stinks a wee bit announced just a few days before we play Aberdeen. I'd like to think that players might want to follow the example Wyness set especially if, like Tansey, they are in an almighty relegation scrap.

He has improved drastically in recent games by playing a bit further forward. I think dropping him due to this is a bit old fashioned. This pre-contract era has been on the go for a while.

Both Tansey and Meekings have been clear for a while they were not interested in signing new deals. This is good for the club to have clarity, both players have been good servants and deserve respect until their contract runs out.

As long as Tansey gives his all in training and games he will start. If this standard/effort drops, then he shall be dropped. The same goes for any player in the squad.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Stirling Observer said:

He has improved drastically in recent games by playing a bit further forward. I think dropping him due to this is a bit old fashioned. This pre-contract era has been on the go for a while.

Both Tansey and Meekings have been clear for a while they were not interested in signing new deals. This is good for the club to have clarity, both players have been good servants and deserve respect until their contract runs out.

As long as Tansey gives his all in training and games he will start. If this standard/effort drops, then he shall be dropped. The same goes for any player in the squad.

Some interesting points being made on Twitter regarding this kind of comment. Does a good servant jump ship twice having failed to do so another time?

I'm not so sure.

• Agree 1

Not really bothered by his departure. I have never rated him. He is anonymous in far too many games for my liking. Looking forward to someone else coming in, maybe someone with a bit of fight in them. I think of all the ICT players who have gone to Inverness XI (Aberdire), he is by far the poorest player they have signed

• Disagree 4

I don't think "servant" is ever an appropriate wording for a professional footballer these days. They are highly paid to do something they love, and get loads of time off into the bargain. It's hardly servitude!

Good employee, if anything.

• Agree 2

Terrible news, at a terrible time this should have been kept under wraps until the end of the season. Hardly going to galvanise the dressing room is it, one player guaranteed top flight football and big wages, the rest scrapping for their future. Couldn't make it up.    

Short career, nearer the end than the beginning. Chance of much higher pay. Not from the area so no particular heart strings pulling ... who wouldn't make the move in his shoes or in any walk of life for that matter?

If we had turned on Shinnie when he had signed a "pre-contract", might we have still won the Cup? I really hope the fans "do a Graeme Shinnie" and cheer him on for the rest of his time with us because he has made vital contributions/goals right up to this point (latest being the goal v County) ... and hopefully he has future contributions yet to make ... that could be the difference between us staying up and going down. 

Quite apart from just giving respect to our players (which we should obviously do), Tansey has wore our colours with distinction on many occasions including our very best times ... so we should cheer him on until the end just as though he was continuing with us beyond this season ... and so, when the dust has settled at the end of the season and we remain an SPL club, we can then thank him for his valued contribution and wish him well for the future ... (apart from he's playing us!)

Edited by cif73
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Some interesting points being made on Twitter regarding this kind of comment. Does a good servant jump ship twice having failed to do so another time?

I'm not so sure.

I class anyone that is a first team player contributing to the most successful period (or at least at the highest level) the club has experienced to date deserves some credence within the club. Perhaps its the wrong expression to use. However, they were both integral along with others to that success. 

Fans are loyal (well mostly), players not so much. They continually want to progress their ability and make as much money as possible in a career than can nosedive at any moment.

Tansey leaving and coming back, is not a problem in my eyes. Tansey being courted by a bigger club, is recognition of his form and talent. I dont think he has engineered this move. He has never requested a transfer, or publicly criticised the club about tansey-gate. He just stated he was happy with Inverness. He was honest this season, never giving the fans false hope he may sign. He has acted professionally throughout in my eyes.  

You could say his form has dropped this season, until recently, perhaps this was more to do with tactics/positioning rather than anything else. Only the player himself knows. I bear no grudge against him. As long as he puts in 100% until the last game. Thereafter, he is simply an opposition player who i have no concern about.  

• Agree 3

I'm sure the players will be fine, they are professionals.

Whatever happens at the end of this season, stay up or go down, we have a huge rebuilding job to come.  The core of the side for the past few seasons have either left or lost form.  Tansey has left, Meekings will probably join him and Warren and Draper's performance levels have dropped (Warren's more than Draper's).  We need to replace them with solid, reliable starters to build our team around.

The signings we have made this season do not fill me with confidence that we can do this.  None of the signings we've made have established themselves as a starter.  The closest is Brad Mckay but he has shifted around in terms of his position, from right back to centre back.  We've also had to dip into the loans market pretty heavily in January to try and drag ourselves over the finishing line and Billy Mckay is clearly the best signing we've made this season.  The danger we have is that we are going to replace excellent starters with players who are really bench-warmers.  We've done that to a large degree this season.

Just as we need to improve our play if we are going to stay up we have to improve our recruitment if we want to progress.

Signings

Scott Boden - 3(8) - 1 goal

Jake Mulreany - 7(13) 

Kevin McNaughton - 2(0)

Lonsana Doumbaya 17(2) - 5 goals

Brad McKay - 19(1)

Louis Laing - 5(0)

Henri Anier - 5(2)

Billy King (loan) - 14(7) - 1 goal

Jamie McCart (loan) - 5(0)

Larnell Cole (loan) - 11(6) - 1 goal

Billy Mckay (loan) - 7(0) - 2 goals

• Agree 1

Yes, definitely a massive rebuilding job, and very defendant on which league we find ourselves.

The more recent signings have been better than the early ones. 

Jake - took a while to settle. could be a star player with a good run of games/ stays fit.

Cole - took ages to get up to fitness and physicality of the game, can be brilliant but lacks the defensive know how.

Boden - lets not talk about it...

Kev - Surely finished

Brad - looked good at full back, lost his way a bit when he starting changing his positions

Lonsana - very ofere, scored goals, but Billy contributes way more

Laing - really impressed, hope he stays

McCart - seems to get better each game, big future maybe, would love to sign if we could

King - meh for me

Anier - strong, not a scorer, meh

Billy - so much love

The chances of signing any of the loan players could be slim, 0% if we drop.

39 minutes ago, Stirling Observer said:

I class anyone that is a first team player contributing to the most successful period (or at least at the highest level) the club has experienced to date deserves some credence within the club. Perhaps its the wrong expression to use. However, they were both integral along with others to that success. 

Fans are loyal (well mostly), players not so much. They continually want to progress their ability and make as much money as possible in a career than can nosedive at any moment.

Tansey leaving and coming back, is not a problem in my eyes. Tansey being courted by a bigger club, is recognition of his form and talent. I dont think he has engineered this move. He has never requested a transfer, or publicly criticised the club about tansey-gate. He just stated he was happy with Inverness. He was honest this season, never giving the fans false hope he may sign. He has acted professionally throughout in my eyes.  

You could say his form has dropped this season, until recently, perhaps this was more to do with tactics/positioning rather than anything else. Only the player himself knows. I bear no grudge against him. As long as he puts in 100% until the last game. Thereafter, he is simply an opposition player who i have no concern about. 

Fair comments there.

I for one am not too fussed about Tansey leaving, it's the fact he's going to Aberdeen that's annoying me. It's a pity a passionate player who knows the club is leaving, but he's been a bit of a passenger this season imo. I still think we should have gone to Aberdeen with a trade offer to get Storey back at xmas.

To be a bit more positive, this may be the start of the resurgence of Liam Polworth who has thouroughly unimpressed out wide (not dropping back to support the full backs and leaving massive gaps on the wing while he's galavanting in central midfield) and shown only brief flashes of good play in central midfield this season. Maybe he'll step up in our time of need and be the creative player we're desperately needing at the moment. All I can say is please god don't choose Vigurs over Polworth, Richie :blink: