Greg Tansey...

scottbamby

Greg Tansey on form is, without doubt, one of our most talented and influential players. There have been signs lately that, after being poor by his standards for most of the season, he is returning to form. In our current predicament, we can't afford not to play him and that includes the game at Pittodrie. His performances against Aberdeen have been generally excellent over the years which is the principal reason he will be pulling on their shirt next season.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, forresjags said:

The issue here is Aberdeen are ripping the p*** and there is absolutely nothing we can co about it ..............again. 

how? (why?)

if you could buy a house for 100k or wait 6 months and get that house for free...what would YOU do? It makes good business sense.  The accounts situation at ICTFC are of absolutely no concern to anyone at AFC.  

In Aberdeen Caley Thistle's defence, they did make an attempt to buy that house some time ago, the house wasn't for sale. Not their fault. The keys for that house have been put in the bowl...they picked them up.

No ill feelings towards Aberdeen or Mr Tansey.  Both have made sound business/career choices.

Anyone in their respective positions would make the same decisions.  There is no room for sentimentality in ANY line of business these days.

Edited by ictfcsince94
inverweigan translation
  • Agree 3

We should in no way blame players. Their careers are partly regulated by the transfer window and other restrictions. It is not an easy life and come the season end many will be without clubs for months or even forever again. It is a very short career and realistically we should wish Greg well and trust like everyone else they seek to get at least a point at Pittodrie. 

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, ictfcsince94 said:

how? (why?)

if you could buy a house for 100k or wait 6 months and get that house for free...what would YOU do? It makes good business sense.  The accounts situation at ICTFC are of absolutely no concern to anyone at AFC.  

In Aberdeen Caley Thistle's defence, they did make an attempt to buy that house some time ago, the house wasn't for sale. Not their fault. The keys for that house have been put in the bowl...they picked them up.

No ill feelings towards Aberdeen or Mr Tansey.  Both have made sound business/career choices.

Anyone in their respective positions would make the same decisions.  There is no room for sentimentality in ANY line of business these days.

Speak for yourself, I have plenty of ill feeling towards Aberdeen they have unsettled one our key players during a crucial part of the season, a deal that could have waited until the end of the season,  

No idea what the relevance of buying a house is either. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Im not sure what the significance of the announcement is....to unsettle the player ahead of our fixture....to please the dons support.....not much benefit for ICT, although he may want to prove his commitment and respect to the club by giving his all for final few games....unless he returns for a third time!!

3 hours ago, forresjags said:

Speak for yourself, I have plenty of ill feeling towards Aberdeen they have unsettled one our key players during a crucial part of the season, a deal that could have waited until the end of the season,  

Why would Aberdeen wait until the end of the season? Another team could have come in and swiped him. 

Hayes Shinnie and Tansey all at Aberdeen and not a penny coming our way. That's the bit that dissapoints we don't seem to do well in the transfer market as far as getting value for our prize assets 

• Agree 1

On 19/11/2016 at 10:17 AM, PerfICT said:

Interesting thread! Certainly, Tansey's not been very consistent over the past 12 months: Crisis in confidence? Eyes elsewhere? Asked to play a different role? Who knows? I said at the time that we might have been better taking the cash from Aberdeen when offered, rather than risking losing him for free, which almost certainly happen at the end of this season. I agree with the comment above about Polworth - IHE's suggestion of Tansey for Storey + cash in Jan is a cracker!

As I said back in November, we should have taken the cash when we had the opportunity: losing a player on the free was inevitable this year. That is not to say that I wanted shot of Tansey - on his day, he's as good as we've got. However, it is poor business to miss out on rare cash for a player, when it is inevitable that he will leave. The timing of this announcement is appalling, but I'd continue to play Tansey, with a view to dropping him if his form slips. As others have said, there were similar reservations about Shinnie and he was outstanding for us after signing his PCA.

• Agree 1

I think its a bit of a catch 22 situation really.  You get transfer fees when players are signed up on longer contracts but longer contracts tend to cost more and risk you being left paying a player who has not performed.  A small club like ours simply can't afford the risk of longer term contracts although I think it tries to do the best it can within the resources available.

With regard to Tansey, he has benefited from being here and we have benefited from having him here.  He's been a great player for us and I wish him well in his future career (except when playing against us, of course).

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

I think its a bit of a catch 22 situation really.  You get transfer fees when players are signed up on longer contracts but longer contracts tend to cost more and risk you being left paying a player who has not performed.  A small club like ours simply can't afford the risk of longer term contracts although I think it tries to do the best it can within the resources available.

With regard to Tansey, he has benefited from being here and we have benefited from having him here.  He's been a great player for us and I wish him well in his future career (except when playing against us, of course).

Couldn't put it better....GT has been a good player for us (one of our better?) across the seasons he's been with us, think we will miss him next season, hope he fares better at Aberdeen than Miles Storey (but obviously hope he's rubbish when he plays against us)

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, forresjags said:

Whilst I absolutely understand your frustration, can I just point out, and I could be wrong ( Usually am ) that we had to sign him now in order to register him for the European games, as with the games starting so early, they start before the Transfer Window opens, and I believe we can register Greg now that he's signed a pre-contract. 

Whilst not confirmed, it appears that Ryan Jack will be moving on and I think behind the scenes, McInnes knows this, therefore acted by confirming Greg's pre-contract, meaning we won't be short when Jack does leave. 

Sorry for intruding ladies & gents, absolutely no-one knew anything about this move until today though, quite incredible really the amount of ex-ICT players we have now. Hayes, Rooney, Shinnie, Storey & Tansey & this isn't a **** take, but allegedly, if Ash Taylor leaves, Josh Meekings is being lined up to replace him! With Accies defender Mikey devlin also a shout. Would take both over Taylor any day of the week!

Anyway, hopefully you guys stay up, always a fiery, entertaining fixture between us & for some bizarre reason, whilst not doing too good a job, I have a soft spot for Richie Foran and wish him well.  

• Agree 5

Now that's a classy post from  our new visitor from the East, DonInPeace.

Where is Donview when you need him with his input?:smile:

In view of Tansey's drop in form it is a little bit surprising I must confess. What has gone on behind the scenes  we will probably never know but this move may well have been on the cards for quite a while. Anyway we should wish him  "well" because he seems to be a  decent lad all told. Going round the doors handing out jerseys to the youngsters with a smile are positive gestures that we should note amongst other things. 

Whilst wishing him well at Aberdeen I can't help but have a nagging feeling that  unless he can pull out top form in most matches his glory days may actually be past. On the other hand it is also entirely possible, in view of the fact that he is not yet an "old-un" that he may  be rejuvenated by the bigger scene and get fresh energy and fresh , enthusiastic, legs. Let's wish him all the best.

Meantime, it is also noted with some interest that the Aberdeen City Council has not approved the transfer to their new stadium and the club  may have to actually change their drafted plans, not to mention their ambitions, to satisfy the Aberdeen Council's wishes.  Anybody able to throw some more light on this?:ohmy:

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

A positive could be our own home grown Liam Polworth stepping up to the plate next season, constantly played in his natural position and. at last, becoming the nailed on first XI pick he deserves to be.

I don't doubt Polworth has the ability but does he have the application? TBH I don't know if he has as to me he sulks and huffs too much for a grown laddie! 

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, forresjags said:

i am speaking for myself? never declared i was speaking on behalf of anyone else?

I respectfully disagree, while possibly unsettling other players and perhaps Richie, i think this may actually settle Tansey, as it removes the cloud of doubt and uncertainty hanging over him.

the relevance of the house - it's called an analogy. perhaps not the best one I could have come up with, but actually thought it was pretty self-explanatory

• Agree 3

Really sad to see him go for the 2nd time. He has been a fantastic player over the years for the club and i wish him well. Having said that i think he will struggle to make the starting 11 at aberdeen. They have a very good midfield and also have a better depth to the squad than we do, He will no where near get as much game time at aberdeen

32 minutes ago, Doofer said:

Really sad to see him go for the 2nd time. He has been a fantastic player over the years for the club and i wish him well. Having said that i think he will struggle to make the starting 11 at aberdeen. They have a very good midfield and also have a better depth to the squad than we do, He will no where near get as much game time at aberdeen

At least he will have a familiar face in the form of Miles Storey to chat to whilst sitting on the bench.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

A positive could be our own home grown Liam Polworth stepping up to the plate next season, constantly played in his natural position and. at last, becoming the nailed on first XI pick he deserves to be.

Polworth has a fair bit of work to do if he is to become a nailed on first team pick. Nobody "deserves" to be a first team pick, they have to earn it and Polworth has not done that for me yet.

As for Greg Tansey, I am astonished that some posters are effectively saying good riddance to him and he was not that great a player/will be a big loss. He has been the midfielder most able to influence games for us and we are undoubtedly a poorer team without him. I don't think he has been as bad this season as some make out but not playing him in his best position in games has diminished his influence in my opinion. All the best Greg for the future.

• Agree 5

My view is that anybody that has the nerve to sign a pre-contract with another team should be frozen out. Tansey has been a great servant and endeared himself to many - but why Aberdeen - and consider why he is suddenly playing better when he probably knew that the deal was done ?

• Agree 1