Andy Murray = Number One

Caley Mad In Berks

What better way to get over the disappointment of another ICT loss than to watch Andy Murray comprehensively beat his old adversary, Noval Djokovic in the ATP World Tour finals, this evening.  A truly great climax to an incredible year, especially the last six months, which has seen him deservedly reach number 1 in the rankings.

Also, not to forget his brother Jamie, who with his doubles partner, Bruno Soares, are the year end number 1 doubles team too.  Just brilliant. What a credit they both are to themselves, their sport and their country.

Saying "well done" hardly seems sufficient to recognise their achievements, but I'll say it anyway, "Well Done"

This rise to No 1 is not to be underestimated. Andy's success is possibly the greatest sporting achievement by a Scottish sportman ever. Heightened by his brother being part of the No 1 doubles pairing in the world. We tend to knock our own successful sporting stars down, but to be honest, this should be shouted from every rooftop in the nation.

Well done Murray's, no bad for a couple of loons from Dunblane.

I agree. As well as a world class athlete, possibly our only one, he is clearly a thoughtful and thoroughly decent young man who is sometimes unjustifiably treated by the press and media.

A survivor of the Dunblane massacre and an example of the triumph of good over evil.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

A wonderful career and a great ambassador for tennis and sport more generally.  I do think it is rather sad that he intends to struggle on.  If his hip is so bad that it is painful to put his shoes and socks on, he is not going to be able to beat anyone half decent.  One can't help but admire his bravery and determination but he really should call it a day.  We have great memories of him in his prime and I would rather those be the lasting memories and not pictures of him limping off a court in tears after a heavy defeat to someone I've never heard of.  Time to focus on some of the up and coming young players that he has done so much to inspire.

• Agree 1

Probably the best sports person Scotland has ever produced and a fine advocate for fairness and equality off the court.

Sorry you didn't get to end your career on your terms but thank you for a great sporting journey and for some wonderful memories. It will be a long time, I fear, until we see your like again.

• Agree 1