January Transfer Window

Kingsmills

At first glance I thought the return of Billy Mckay was just wishful thinking on our part. But then I looked at his stats in League One this season - 25 games, comprising 20 starts and 1,665 minutes on the pitch. Goal tally - zilch. 

He's hardly hot property any more, and it appears that the only place he can score is in Scotland so it wouldn't be a huge surprise if all parties agreed that the best way to resurrect his career and resurrect our fortunes was to give this a try and see if it all clicks again.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

At first glance I thought the return of Billy Mckay was just wishful thinking on our part. But then I looked at his stats in League One this season - 25 games, comprising 20 starts and 1,665 minutes on the pitch. Goal tally - zilch. 

He's hardly hot property any more, and it appears that the only place he can score is in Scotland so it wouldn't be a huge surprise if all parties agreed that the best way to resurrect his career and resurrect our fortunes was to give this a try and see if it all clicks again.

Billy has never been a huge success with anyone but ourselves.  He has got 4 goals in cup matches for Oldham this season which makes his record slightly less dismal than his league 1 efforts you quoted.  I'd be very surprised if this 'rumour' came to pass. But I'd be willing to give it a try.  Maybe a move back to us would spark off his career again and help save our season. 

I'm just off now to finish my next script for 'Roy of the Rovers'.:lol:

Some players are just made for certain teams.  Like Gardyne at County etc. Hopefully he can come back and become the Billy we all know and love   There's a couple we could offload which would free up some wages. McKay and anier up front could work

#hescoreswhenhewants :ictscarf:

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

There could be any number of reasons why no business was done prior to the Partick game no fault of the club. With modern technology, there is no reason whatsoever why playing on deadline day will prevent us from bringing someone in.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that having a  game today prevents us from signing anyone but it certainly prevents them from playing tonight or last Saturday when, according to our manager, we had a "must win" match. If we intended to bring players in I would have suggested the appropriate time to do that was during the shutdown to get them bedded in and available for three vital league games. 

25 minutes ago, jagster said:

Some players are just made for certain teams.  Like Gardyne at County etc. Hopefully he can come back and become the Billy we all know and love   There's a couple we could offload which would free up some wages. McKay and anier up front could work

#hescoreswhenhewants :ictscarf:

Offloading would be dependent on finding clubs willing to take them or coming to an agreement to pay up all or part of their contracts.

Mckay thrived on the chances created for him by the likes of Doran, Shinnie and Watkins. Time for our current crop of players like Cole, Polworth and Doran (again) to give him the opportunity to fire us to safety.

1 minute ago, RiG said:

Probably in the minority here but Doumbouya isn't very good. Not bothered if he is away. He seems a lovely chap don't get me wrong but as a footballer - meh.

He wasn't the worst and wish him all the very best, he just never looked like fitting in here 

1 minute ago, RiG said:

Probably in the minority here but Doumbouya isn't very good. Not bothered if he is away. He seems a lovely chap don't get me wrong but as a footballer - meh.

yea, really nice guy. wanted him to do better than he did. was desperate for him to succeed. ah well... fair play to RF/board for making some tough choices. whether they turn out to be correct or not remains to be seen, but at least they rolling the dice

Doumbouya worked hard at times in difficult games, but never had the scoring touch that Billy always had for us. Never expected him to be here long term. If I remember correctly he was signed late on in the summer, presumably after it was decided Boden and Fisher weren't up to it.