January Transfer Window

Kingsmills

Without wanting to **** on this party, the style and way we play has to change otherwise no matter how good our striker is they won't get chances created to score. We played long balls to Domb which never worked, even on Sat with Anier that tactic remained - for Billy to succeed we need Doran, Polly, King, Tansey with our wing backs getting forward to support more and creating opportunities.

• Agree 1

Bold move from Foran and lets hope it is a good move for both parties. Billy has had a pretty torrid time since he left, loaned out to a few clubs and losing his place in the Northern Ireland squad  He has a lot to prove to get his career back on track and hitting double figures over the next 5 months will do him and us the world of good.

As mentioned before we are going to have to change our game plan if he is to be a success. 

Well oh well oh well! I Didn't see that one coming - only yesterday I was watching the collection of goals "from happier times" on another thread and posted something along the lines of "oh to have Billy Mckay and Andrew Shinnie back"!

On the other hand, it is a shame it didn't work out for Doumbouya, but he never quite managed to impress in league games. Really sorry for Ali Sutherland - he bided his time, but neither Hughes nor Richie quite had the rocks to select him, even when our strikeforce was failing. I wish him all the very best wherever he ends up.

His stats don't surprise me. Its contradictory but hes not really a goalscorer, more of a 'fox in the box'. Give Billy time he will fluff it, rush it or overthink it. Fizz in a cross, or a loose ball pops up he will score. His movement was what impressed me the most, he would run the channels and drag defenders out of position. However due to our lack of players who run beyond the striker in the current team (a massive problem in my opinion) into that space created will mean we shall be pretty toothless, I fear.

So nervous for tonight. This is like the first time we played county in years. I was so scared of us losing. The consequence of defeat was unbearable. Give me another win lads!

The Billy of old is just what we need but I wonder if that is the Billy we will get.  His recent scoring (or not scoring) record is clearly a worry but it is important to remember that Richie played in the same side as Billy and will know what makes him tick.  Billy himself will know that unless he can find his goal scoring touch here then his career is as good as over.  I'm sure he will enjoy resuming his place in the side with Doran and that should help both of them get back to their best. 

We've missed having a player in the side who has a knack of just nipping in front of defenders or swivelling on a half chance.  It's not as though we haven't been getting the ball into dangerous areas, it is just that we haven't been seizing the opportunities which arise.  I've a good feeling about this but we shouldn't expect miracles.  He'll need time to settle back in and get his confidence back.  

• Agree 2

I wouldn't read much into him not scoring much down south. Adam Rooney also struggled to find the net in England and came back up to bang them in up here, and there's numerous other examples of failing down south before excelling up here. Hopefully him and Anier will gel. 

Agree with DD. We're going to have to play very differently from the current system to get the best out of Billy BUT Doran is certainly capable of providing for him, so I have real hope that this will pay off. With luck, he'll get off to a flier tonight, but we might have to be patient....

• 2 weeks later...

Okay it's not January but it's still an ICT transfer rumour. Scott Burns claiming on Twitter that we are after Louis Laing (ex Motherwell) and were keen on Ryan McGowan (ex Hearts and Dundee United).

The latter apparently isn't looking likely as he is going to England.

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Okay it's not January but it's still an ICT transfer rumour. Scott Burns claiming on Twitter that we are after Louis Laing (ex Motherwell) and were keen on Ryan McGowan (ex Hearts and Dundee United).

The latter apparently isn't looking likely as he is going to England.

No surprises that we're looking at strengthening our Defensive corps. Josh probably out for the rest of the season after a knee op...

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

McGowan would be a solid signing but I'm not sure how focused on football he would be able to be with his father currently facing trial for murder.

Who the hell do you think you are? Some chance this poor lad has with you passing comments like this.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 3

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

McGowan would be a solid signing but I'm not sure how focused on football he would be able to be with his father currently facing trial for murder.

What a vile nasty comment .Shame on you !!!!

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 3