January Transfer Window

Kingsmills

The January transfer window is almost upon us. What business would you like to see us do bearing in mind our limited resources?

Despite our defences lapses, I actually think we have a decent bunch of defenders when fit and also options in midfield albeit with Tansey and Vigurs both struggling for form.

I would rather see us strengthen up front. I see that Rory Loy has been told he can leave Dundee on a free. While he seems to have lost his way a bit at Dens, I think he is a decent forward who could do a job for us. 

Given the lack of game time he has had, I wonder if there is a possibility of getting Miles Storey on loan as well.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, caley100 said:

Ryan Christie seems to have dropped off the Celtic radar,  would love to se him back in the blue & red strip!

He actually started against Dundee on Sat...

I think Rory Loy is a better striker than any of the three we have but that's not saying much... 

• Agree 1

Tansey to Aberness, Miles + one other/50k to Inverness. 

Defender in - Although Jason Brown will become eligible to play on the 1st I think. 

Defensive Mid in

That is all. Oh, plus a hairdryer for Richie. He can 'hipster' up his beard...and give our current lot a Christmas roasting, and get their collective acts into gear. Easy to call for players in, but our current squad genuinely have enough quality to do the job, maybe tactics and formations need a wee tweak, but I can't see it with things being so tight: no risks can be taken.

The budget might be limited to bring in additional cover, we have McNaughton injured for the remainder of the season on probably a salary towards the higher end of our scale and many of the established guys have signed new deals so will probably have had increases over previous deals.

Defensively we look ok, although LB cover would be good, however we can play Raven there when fit. If Meekings leaves though someone will have to be brought in.

Midfield - we need to decide where we are playing Draper. If he is an offensive option we need solid central midfield ball winner, otherwise if he is going to go back into the defensive role we need a bit of creativity behind the striker. Whether Tansey will leave in this window I think depends on if the Dons keep Maddison on loan. Tansey's not had the best season and although I do think he will sign a PCA with the Dons I cant see them paying out any money - even £50k

Forward / Strikers - Both Doumb & Fisher are very similar, we need something different and someone with pace and a record for goals - Loy could be a decent shout. But we need to improve the service which comes back to the midfield creativity issues. Could bring in a prolific goal scorer but based on our play they wont have good enough service.

• Agree 1

P&J reporting Tansey has not accepted a new deal and Meeking's is as yet uncommitted. Last season I would have been gutted about Tansey, now.....not so much. If Meekings is of too, I am sure it will present an excellent chance for someone else.

Edited by MuirtownJaggy
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, MuirtownJaggy said:

P&J reporting Tansey has not accepted a new deal and Meeking's is as yet uncommitted. Last season I would have been gutted about Tansey, now.....not so much. If Meekings is of too, I am sure it will present an excellent chance for someone else.

Wi tanz going, it's now time for Polly to step up, he's the natural replacement I would've said?

more bothered about Meekings tbh, he's been consistently one of the better players this season...

Jason Brown will provide good cover for the defence, but I don't think he's ready to start - we might have to go sign someone...

And for the love-of-f8ck PLEASE DONT F8CKING BOO TANSEY NOW! 

Edited by ictfcsince94
  • Agree 1

On 12/28/2016 at 7:54 AM, ictfcsince94 said:

Jason Brown will provide good cover for the defence, but I don't think he's ready to start - we might have to go sign someone...

Part of the problem for me. If Jason Brown isn't ready to start at 20 years old will he ever be ready?

Players need to be getting first team match experience younger.

If you had a choice who would you retain and who would you let go ?

OFW .         Retain

Tremarco.    Retain

Warren.        Retain for his leadership qualities but maybe last season

Meekings.     Retain but suspect he is away

Polworth.      Must Retain he will be a jewel in the crown like Christie

Draper.          Must Retain likely to be a future captain

Vigurs.           Release

Tansey.          Offer a straight swap in January for Miles Storey

McKay.          Retain

Doumbouya. Has had his chance release

Cole.             Retain 

Esson.           Retain as coach only. Cammy reserve keeper 

Doran.           Retain

Mulraney.      Has had his chance release he hasn't got it at this level

Fisher.           Retain in Doumbouya role

Boden.          No option but to retain but give him a chance 

King.              50/50 to Retain

Sutherland.   Retain

Raven.           Release

Macnaughton Retain subject to fitness/medical

Brown.           Retain

rocky1, fait points above but,

- Tansey : Don't think Aberdeen will want Tansey. Also, think Tansey wants back to England to be nearer where he is from. Storey would have to take a big pay cut to come back, so he would probably head somewhere else in SPFL on loan or back down south. 

- Doumbouya : He has dropped off a bit admittedly, but he has lacked support and is looked cheesed off against Motherwell. Bit soul destroying to get the ball either on the ground or in the air and then have no real support to pass to. He should have at least got his chance in the second half against Motherwell on target though. 

- Raven : I'd keep him for two reasons, he is one of our few defenders, and although getting on a bit he is handy to have as a sub. 

- Boden : not sure what is going on there as he looked pretty good back at the start of the season.

Doumbaya lacks support which you feel is why he appears to be no longer effective?

Perhaps as  the front man he might be expected to turn and make a bee line for the goal and or direct the ball goalwards very hard and attempt to score more often? Is that reasonable? Otherwise what's he going to do with it if some other player actually passes it to him as you appear to suggest is presently not happening? Pass it to another player to the side of him?

Aberdeen: Defender Callum Morris exits without first-team appearance

Sharethis page
Callum Morris signs for Aberdeen
Callum Morris signed for Aberdeen in June

Defender Callum Morris has left Aberdeen having failed to make a single appearance for the club since arriving from Dundee United in June.

The 26-year-old had spent two seasons at Tannadice but left following United's relegation from the Scottish top flight.

English-born Morris first arrived in Scotland to join Dunfermline Athletic in 2012 after leaving Morpeth United.

He has been part of Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland U21 squads.

Sharethis page

• Agree 3

On 30/12/2016 at 10:56 AM, rocky1 said:

If you had a choice who would you retain and who would you let go ?

OFW .         Retain

Tremarco.    Retain

Warren.        Retain for his leadership qualities but maybe last season

Meekings.     Retain but suspect he is away

Polworth.      Must Retain he will be a jewel in the crown like Christie

Draper.          Must Retain likely to be a future captain

Vigurs.           Release

Tansey.          Offer a straight swap in January for Miles Storey

McKay.          Retain

Doumbouya. Has had his chance release

Cole.             Retain 

Esson.           Retain as coach only. Cammy reserve keeper 

Doran.           Retain

Mulraney.      Has had his chance release he hasn't got it at this level

Fisher.           Retain in Doumbouya role

Boden.          No option but to retain but give him a chance 

King.              50/50 to Retain

Sutherland.   Retain

Raven.           Release

Macnaughton Retain subject to fitness/medical

Brown.           Retain

Well King and Cole are on loan so past the end of the season it really won't be up to us as to whether we retain them.

I'm not sure why retaining Doran is so conclusive, he's shown little since returning from injury. Even before his injury he wasn't at his best. True he's earned cult status at the club but I fear his best is history.

I wouldn't bother with McNaughton after the season. He was beset with injuries prior to joining and I think it's an expensive luxury we can little afford.

A touch early to judge Mulraney. He's come from reserve football and hasn't yet adjusted. Not everyone settles straight away. He's young and deserves more time.

Doumbouya is our top scorer at the moment. Whilst he's not brilliant until a better option comes along I wouldn't be so hasty to release.