January Transfer Window

Kingsmills

55 minutes ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

Good news.  Hopefully now, with all talk of an impending move out of the way for a few months, he can settle down and get back his form to the level of previous seasons.

Aye, but Tansey was already signed until the end of the season anyway :wink:

Probably a lower level than that.  A couple of League of Ireland reserve teams play in this league.  

When it comes to comparing leagues, the Scottish Premiership is ranked 23rd in UEFAs club co-efficient table.  The League of Ireland is ranked 37th and this is the third tier of that league.

Looking on the positive side, we had him on trial beforehand so must have done some sort of assessment of his standards.  Just because someone is playing at a low level doesn't necessarily mean they can't make a step up - we hope.

We were still taking players from the Highland League when we were in the second tier with some success and the likes of Danny Williams came from teams in the 7th tier of England but you'd imagine that would still be a better standard than the third tier of Ireland. The lad is 22 so clearly not a signing for a couple of years time. This is a signing for right now so let's hope he can bag a few goals and fire us up the table.

Without knowing the clubs signing or wage budget and whether therew is actually anything left to imporve the squad with real quality, I do wonder regarding these types of signings. Players coming from such a level should be brought in with the premise that they are part of the development squad on short 6 month or 12 month deals with the aim that if they step up they become part of the first team and are rewarded approriately. However what we have seen recently are players like Wedderburn, Horner, R.Williams, Boden etc come in on decent deals when we would be just as good letting some youngsters try step up.

What we need to be doing is investing what we little we have on established and proven quality to fix our dire situation not a quantity of gambles unless we are conceeding that top flight status is no longer our focus and we are looking to build a lower cost squad for the Championship.

• Agree 1

Surely this guy will be added to the development squad and not thrown straight into the first team or will he?

Having said that he might be the ideal striker to gun down Elgin as he plays at a similar level to them currently 

You got to wonder what exactly is the clubs scouting policy though when they are looking at these levels in foreign countries, ok you might get the odd gem but I can't see many players playing at that level making the step up successfully

Regardless he's a young player and I for one wish him the best and welcome him to ICT

Dougal

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, dougal said:

Surely this guy will be added to the development squad and not thrown straight into the first team or will he?

Having said that he might be the ideal striker to gun down Elgin as he plays at a similar level to them currently 

You got to wonder what exactly is the clubs scouting policy though when they are looking at these levels in foreign countries, ok you might get the odd gem but I can't see many players playing at that level making the step up successfully

Regardless he's a young player and I for one wish him the best and welcome him to ICT

Dougal

It'll be a tall order to make an immediate step up but you can find guys at a lower level who can develop into useful players.  We signed Danny Williams from the English sixth tier, Marley Watkins had played one season in their fifth tier.  There's a big difference between full and part time football though, that can take some getting used to.

If we've signed him as a squad player and one to develop then it's interesting.  However, we are bottom of the league, on the worst run our club has ever had in the league.  We need players to change things NOW.

couldn't see this signing making the first team coming from amateur football in the republic. If anything i would take a gamble on a established player here in the north. The Northern irish league is part time but it has produced some fantastic players Niall Mcginn who came from dungannon swifts and Liam Boyce who we all know too well came from Cliftionville. That's just to name 2 there are many more. At the moment the league's top scorer is Andrew Mitchell of Dungannon swifts with so far about 18 goals in 24 games. Our standard of football would be the equal of Scotland league 2 or at the very best teams league one 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

54 minutes ago, forresjags said:

Serious question, do we actually have a scouting system that identifies players for us or are they touted by their agents(If they have one).  

I imagine, coming from the league of Ireland, he'd have been suggested by a contact of Richie (a locally based coach or player for example) and was given a trial. Rather than through the club's scouting system itself. 

it was confirmed by Richie at the Sponsors event earlier in the season that the club is in the progress of setting up a scouting network in Ireland as well as England, along with establishing 'feeder clubs'.  

Perhaps Dean is the start of this coming to fruition?

and no, maybe his current level of football doesnt excite and inspire, but if he can rattle in some goals fer us, i don't particularly care whence he came.

• Agree 1