Media Coverage

ff
AUDIO
TEXT
VIDEO
TEAM LINEUPS
2016-12-28 1-51-30 PM.png
Tweets by @ICTFC

What a joke we have become, if we can't beat Motherwell at home what chance have we got. I've lost hope now.

I watched us play Rangers the other day and to me it seemed the players didn't really have a clue what they were doing. Our terrible run can no longer be put down to bad luck, we're just not good enough.

• Disagree 2

Make no mistake about it. If we dont beat County then there's a real chance we're going down this season.  Our current run of form and general performances are the worst in years (form potentially ever).

I really want Richie to succeed but serious question marks need to start to be asked about selection, tactics and preperation as we are shambolic. If you look back to earlier in the season our best results came with a midfield of Tansey, Draper, Polworth, King and either Mulraney or Doran. We need to get back to this and golden boy Vigurs needs dropped for a game as well as Cole.  Even the subs today were odd to the say the least, we just look rudderless.  Fingers crossed Richie and the boys can pull it out on Saturday but these are worrying times.

Edited by Hiro

Brutal, absolutely brutal. We deserve no sympathy for our performance. It can't be down to bad luck every week. Something needs to be done. For a start, stop the biggest payers in hospitality picking the MotM. Iain Vigurs.......... really. Time for a clear out in January. On this run of form we are definitely relegation favourites.

Totally disgruntled.

• Agree 1

Another shockingly poor performance. Vigurs contiues to be a liability in midfield..... he needs dropped. OFW can't blame the defence for that first goal..... wind or otherwise, he should have had it covered. I fear relegation looms with amount of goals being conceded and our inability to score. !!!!! 

It's been a bad season, and that might be the lowest point so far.  Motherwell were hopeless, and yet we managed to be even more hopeless.

We actually had the better of the first half, but Clay's wind-assisted goal changed the game completely.  Suddenly we stopped trying to create chances by skill and instead spent the last 35 minutes punting high balls up the pitch.  I've never seen so many long throws attempted in a game...even though they never work!  It was like watching Sunday League football.  

Apart from Doran hitting the bar, the other efforts we had looked more impressive than they were because Samson, spooked out by OFW's blunder for their goal (and it was a blunder, he clearly misjudged it and thought it was going over), started punching balls he would have normally caught easily.

Hard to pick out a decent performer - Tansey and Tremarco maybe?  Vigurs' MOTM award was booed by the crowd, and was surely someone taking the mick.

So here's where we're at

- bottom of the table

- nine games without a win - our longest run without a win in ten years

- just one win in thirteen

- more goals conceded than anyone else in the Premiership (only Stenhousemuir have conceded more in the SPFL)

- one clean sheet in twenty league games

- the lowest points total we've ever had in any division after this many games IN OUR ENTIRE HISTORY!

- still conceding soft goals

- still no decent shape when we don't have the ball (the midfield do an awful job of protecting the defence)

- still playing players out of position (POLWORTH ON THE WING?!)

When one puts it like that, perhaps it's time to panic?  And am I the only one questioning whether our manager is up to the task?  And how much it costs to pay off a four year contract?

• Agree 4

Never mind Saturday being squeaky bum time, I'm more worried about our trip through to the other wee team! If we pick up nothing against County, then it's a looong break to stew on it, put too much pressure on it, and get pumped by Elgin....

we weren't good enough tonight, but ffs why we boo our own players I have no idea! Hardly going to motivate them to play well, and clearly they were p1ssed off - only Josh bothered to applaud those supporters that bothered to stay!

Fonners to blame for both.

how in all that's holy did the ball stay out of the goal for us I have no idea! We made Samson look good! He pulled off some cracking saves. Allergic to shooting and allergic to scoring.

Yes, We Trust In Foran...but come on tae....those were some head-scratchy subs.  I liked that he went all out, changed tactics towards the end, to go for the draw/win, but the inevitable happened and they got their second.

Depressed now....but bring on the County...

A shocker. Motherwell are the poorest team I have seen this season and we bottled it. We look so nervous. Can't agree with the crowd booing Vigurs, he wasn't MOM but he wasn't that bad. Tansey needs some passing practice badly, his wayward passing nearly cost us dear on a few occasions. OFW looks really dodgy, is he still carrying an injury? 

Loved the banner which was on display at kick off, well done to whoever made it up. Last chance saloon on Saturday.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Absolutely shocking. Only tactic appears to be launch it forward and lets hope for the best.

OFW should have covered the first goal and came off his line for the second - the sooner Esson is fully fit the better - OFW must be dropped!

Vigurs - liability, MOM (what a joke) - he must be superb in training to justify a start.

We have gone from a team who can pass and retain possession (albeit not creating a lot) to a team who play it long, hope for the best, create little and lose possession in no time at all.

7/1 to finish bottom - very generous odds in my opinion - I hope the bookies know something I don't because I fear the worst.

I'll be at County on Saturday and I hope we see some changes - Fisher, Dorran, Mulraney to start instead of Vigurs, Doumbouya and Cole.

Tansey has stated he is not staying - I wouldn't lose sleep if we let him go in January and replaced him with someone who is committed to the cause.

• Agree 3

Mr Magoo must have been match sponsor today ..  Vigurs? Can't fathom how he's starting let alone walking away with MoM. Need to try something different. If Fisher/Doumboya are hold-up strikers, need someone alongside up top to feed off them because our score/chance ratio is lamentable. Give Boden a run out and sacrifice Vigurs ... he looks like he is constantly running through treacle. Doran showed impetus and vision when he came on and unlucky with his crossbar effort. He loves going to Dingwall so has to start against them. 

• Agree 1

Not too sure whether it was on here or on social media, but I mentioned that a rookie manager in his first job taking on a team in the top (I use the 'top' very loosely) league is very likely to fail. I hoped I was wrong but it doesn't look like it just now. I can only comment from the games I have seen this season (which is only two - an all time low for me) but neither of them set the pulse racing I'm afraid. It's going to be a struggle and if we lose players in the sales and don't replace them with better quality then I.d say we'll be playing Championship football next season.

Several posts have highlighted the role of the referees in past games and commented that we have not been given  the benefit of the doubt in many instances. Is this a valid criticism and what about the added comments (one from Richie himself) that we are not getting the whistles because we are a "diddy" team at the bottom the league implying that refs think we are not worth helping-or something! ?

If there are handballs in the penalty  boxes which are never called by the ref is there not a way to complain to the League for video evidence to be provided.       e.g. In ice hockey in North America one complaint made by a team manager against a referee's decision (usually immediately after a goal is scored) will be immediately reviewed on the video reels of the match AND, if necessary to get rid of further disputing, a call is made to Toronto  for the beaks of the league to review the game video in real time to decide the issue. Usually this is a fairly quick process  and finishes the matter fairly and quickly.

Maybe what I am asking is why is there not a similar goal line video camera and similar technology employed in this way to immediately settle the possibility that refs may genuinely miss stuff and then make unfair calls and decisions.? MONEY?

That was a must win game for us and according to the stats we had more possession more shots and more on target yet we lose I cant see us winning at Dingwall (hope I am wrong)  but lose that and we are Championship next year and with loss of a few players into the Bargain where do we go.

Foran was always a risk but Money dictated our choice I think, and I can't see him being replaced so maybe some time in the Championship will do us the world of good

1 minute ago, Biggin said:

That was a must win game for us and according to the stats we had more possession more shots and more on target yet we lose I cant see us winning at Dingwall (hope I am wrong)  but lose that and we are Championship next year and with loss of a few players into the Bargain where do we go.

Foran was always a risk but Money dictated our choice I think, and I can't see him being replaced so maybe some time in the Championship will do us the world of good

Getting relegated to the Championship would be absolutely one of the worst things that could happen to the club. I've seen a few people on Twitter say this tonight after the result and I cannot fathom why relegation would be a good thing.

• Agree 1

So Vigurs is the scapegoat for a really poor performance. Not Fon Williams for being caught out yet again or the defence for being collectively pish and letting macdonald run rings around them for the second or Foran for continually resorting to having no other tactic than trying to hit the long ball,. It's Vigurs fault he got chosen as MOM so let's boo him anyway. Shameful .

• Agree 6
  • Disagree 1

Just now, RiG said:

Getting relegated to the Championship would be absolutely one of the worst things that could happen to the club. I've seen a few people on Twitter say this tonight after the result and I cannot fathom why relegation would be a good thing.

Agree. Just because we had a fun season on our last visit doesnt mean it would turn out that way again? We would lose players and staff would lose jobs. Just look at St Mirren. 

• Agree 1

Looked at in isolation tonight was the proverbial mugging. Inverness dominated the game for long spells, created more chances, hit the woodwork twice etc. Motherwell scored 2 slightly fortuitous goals (certainly weather assisted!) and ran down the clock. The trouble is, this isn't a one off. It's the story of our season. Average teams don't even need to play well to beat us. Our system isn't working and alarmingly, the manager doesn't seem to have a plan B (save throwing on a bunch of attacking substitutes in the dying minutes).

I think to be fair, even Forans most ardent critics would have to admit his team has been extremely unlucky with results so far this season. Tonight being yet another frustrating example. But sometimes you need to make your own luck.  

I wouldn't go as far as the doom mongers and say we're going down. Man for man I would say we have one of the best squads in the league, certainly the best in the bottom 6. Recruitment is one area where Foran has done pretty well IMO. Those calling for a 'clearout' in January are well off the mark. Personnel isn't the root of our current predicament. The problem, as far as I can see, is that our current system isn't getting the best out of our players.

First off, too many are playing out of position. Draper, our best defensive midfielder, has been deployed further up the park. Polworth has been shunted out to the right. Boden (who scored 13 goals in League 2 last season) has been deployed as a lone striker on the rare occasion he's even been on the pitch. Doumbouya, a good target man, has become the central focus of our attack of late mainly in the form of long balls from midfield - but what good is this tactic when he doesn't have a strike partner to knock the ball down to? Our strongest department is on the wing - we have King, Mulraney, Doran, Cole and Sutherland. But for some reason we don't play a system with wingers! We play these guys in a narrow front 3 behind a lone striker. A state of affairs even more puzzling when you consider our current in-favour forwards (Doumbouya and Fisher) main strength is their ability in the air. Why not make the pitch big, use our wingers in their strongest position, and put crosses into the box for our front men to attack?  

I'm no expert, and probably at least 50% of my opinions are rubbish - but for feck sake, it's time to try something different!

• Agree 7

Cup winning team and most successful ever season

Warren,  Meekings,  Tremarco, raven, draper, tansey, polly, doran

Last years team, as above plus Vigurs,  ofw, fisher

so based on the nucleus of the team being still here and what we have achieved did the last manager over achieve with crap players or is the new manager under achieving with good players. We have recruited poorly with players and other than King & mckay I really don't think the rest are near good enough. 

We persist with the same formation, line up and tactics it's predictable for the fans so no wonder other teams and managers are sussing us out. When Rice came in last season we became a tepid, toothless team who focused on possession and lack creativity, this season we are the same, is the job too big for Richie and his lack of experience or is he being let down by those and round him especially Rice?

Edited by bdu98196

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic