Scottish cup round 5

12th Man

45 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Guaranteed tv game so extra cash plus it's a 50-50 gate split so let's hope that the fans come out for it. Sadly on current form and displays it's probably going to be very one sided but hopefully we still have enough guys in our team who remember what it's like to beat celtic and up their game with the lure of progressing in the cup.

50-50....after costs have been deducted.

Time to bow out the cup run and concentrate on staying up, go to Parkhead, get Rodgered, get 50% of the attendance and guaranteed TV revenue then come home and forget about expensive distracting and injury inducing cup ties and focus on avoiding relegation 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Elginloon said:

Glad were out of it now lol

Just like the turd I stood on outside Borough Briggs. That would have been a lifeline to Hellgin :cheer01: Could have bought a skinny striker instead of Fat Boy Sutherland. Anyway this is the BIGGEST game of the season fer us so far. Wouldn't a feckin replay be great and lets hope it is on the box so we can avoid going into the worst away supporting place in Scottish football.

Some credit to the SFA for getting the timing of the draw right and holding it immediately after the final match rather than some random Thursday afternoon a week and a half after the preceding round has concluded. That credit slightly tarnished by almost cocking it up again.

1 hour ago, Elginloon said:

Glad were out of it now lol

I doubt that very much. A cup visit to Parkhead would have been your club's biggest match this century whereas such trips are routine for us at least twice a season. The cash generated is a welcome wee windfall for us which might enable us to recruit one additional player whereas that sum would transform your finances for this season and next.

An indication of how far we've come and how far you haven't.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Who else feckin hates Sir smarterse English glory hunting wrinkled owd **** ?

The draw was an absolute embarrassment how Sky think getting a drunk elderly Celtic fan to do it is good TV is beyond me, not sure they could surpass this effort other than getting two drunk elderly Celtic fans to do the quarter final draw

Dougal

:clapping: Just what we needed! A handsome pay day --about the only chance from now on for us  to get some money in the bank and allow the manager some breathing space.

I don't want to tempt fate but a draw would be fantastic, The fans deserve this and a fast and furious game at Tulloch --just the ticket in a packed house. Yippee!

I was disappointed when I herd the draw but after a bit of thought and as others have said the club will make a lot of money out of this tie and we always raise our game against Celtic :wink:

• Agree 1

It's a great draw for us.  For a start it will bring in some money.  If we win then we will get a huge boost and even more money.  If we lose then at least we go out to a side which is expected to beat us.  We would be able to focus on league survival without the distraction of a cup run and without the morale sapping knowledge that we have gone out to a side we should have beaten.

The danger is that we get totally hammered.  Celtic are very strong and we are somewhat vulnerable at the moment.  Getting beat 5-0 would be very deflating but there is no real reason to think that is going to happen.  Given our record against Celtic in the cup I would imagine that they would rather have avoided us.  They know they should beat us comfortably but they also know how embarrassing it would be for them to lose to us yet again.  As long as we make a good account of ourselves then we can be happy with that and can then focus on the main business.

Actually it is a decent draw all round with a potential Edinburgh derby, County v the Dons and a guarantee that 2 sides from the lower divisions reach the last 8.

By the way - any chance of signing Paul Sheerin in the January window?

Edited by DoofersDad
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Getting beat 5-0 would be very deflating but there is no real reason to think that is going to happen. 

Other than being defensively poor all season with no signs of improvement - no reason at all :cry: Sadly we are deluding ourselves if we think Celtic would have wanted to avoid us, this Celtic team is flying and even on off days can beat everyone in the league with ease, I'm sure they would have wanted to avoid away trips which had long journeys such as visiting us or even having to play Rangers or Aberdeen but at Parkhead against the bottom team in league I think they'd be pretty happy.

12 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Other than being defensively poor all season with no signs of improvement - no reason at all :cry: Sadly we are deluding ourselves if we think Celtic would have wanted to avoid us, this Celtic team is flying and even on off days can beat everyone in the league with ease, I'm sure they would have wanted to avoid away trips which had long journeys such as visiting us or even having to play Rangers or Aberdeen but at Parkhead against the bottom team in league I think they'd be pretty happy.

Then let's hope they are just that complacent about the tie.

Bdu98196 is right, I am sure Celtic will be relishing this and out to give us a thrashing, after all we had the audacity to spoil their perfect record for this season.

It will be all down to tactics and commitment on our part to get them riled, wrong footed and their support unsettled. Hopefully we have enough time to get our strongest wounded fit again, the Team sharpened up with good results and a distinct showing of confidence, enough to make them aware of what we are capable of doing.

They now have a very shrewd and clever manager, it is going to be difficult to outfox him but it can be done.

Other than financially it's a terrible draw, but;

- It was a draw full of terrible draws. Other than Stirling/Clyde or Ayr/QPFC I'd have been feart of any other team at the moment. Celtic is at least predictably terifying

- It was, other than financially, a terrible draw in Feb 2000. Other than financially, it was a terrible draw for Denzil's winner at TCS. And it was the worst possible semi-final draw, and we all know how those turned out.

Like, I suspect, many on here, I have no hope at all on current form, but history is on our side. Kinda.

• Agree 1

I think it's been said already, but at least IF we lose to the Tatty munchers, it's going to be less of a mental blow than losing to say, Ayr...

Given our current form, we will be clear underdogs, and who knows, keep a tight ship for 75 mins then go looking for something...we are still the only team to upset their perfect record...can we be the team that snubs their ideas of a treble....

1 hour ago, TopSix said:

I have a strong suspicion this will me moved to the Sunday midday. Pretty annoyed at punters on here writing off our chances. It's celtic we're playing, not Barcelona. 

Here here.  Let's remember we are the only team in Scotland to take points off them.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Kind of Blue said:

Here here.  Let's remember we are the only team in Scotland to take points off them.

Blimey, what a shower of s#>t the rest of the SPL is this year!

What would we prefer a win in the cup or points from our home game with them?