Eastgate redevelopment.

Second Row

3 hours ago, Second Row said:

---_0292.jpg

I will not name all the cars but to the 6th from the left beside the Mini is a Wolseley Hornet the Mini with a boot more chrome and a wooden dash, there was also a Riley Elf with the same body but no MG.  Not many Range Rovers on the road then!

2 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

The first car I bought, in 1976, was a second hand Simca 1300 NJS 829 K. All I can say is that after that, the only way was up!

Yes a big Jag is far superior :wink:

How things have changed for the better in the 'Construction of retaining wall at bottom of Crown Road' no safety barriers around the site with machines operating!

Top left in first floor looks like there are two customers in M & S already :lol:

So loving this thread. My first ever visit to Inverness was back in 1978 during a motorcycle tour. I loved the town but, back in the day, photo taking was very limited unlike today. I didn't take many shots. Back then I didn't know that this town would be a regular venue for me. It's really interesting to see how it was at around that time when I was first there.

23 minutes ago, Gringo said:

So loving this thread. My first ever visit to Inverness was back in 1978 during a motorcycle tour. I loved the town but, back in the day, photo taking was very limited unlike today. I didn't take many shots. Back then I didn't know that this town would be a regular venue for me. It's really interesting to see how it was at around that time when I was first there.

Yes, Eastgate was a fascinating mix of two large auction marts ,locally owned shops, warehouses and proper old fashioned pubs packed with farmers on auction days and a Mecca for underage drinkers at other times. Now home to an ubiquitous shopping centre packed with multi national chain stores and eateries. Once inside you could be in any town or city in the United Kingdom.

Progress ?

10 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Yes, Eastgate was a fascinating mix of two large auction marts ,locally owned shops, warehouses and proper old fashioned pubs packed with farmers on auction days and a Mecca for underage drinkers at other times. Now home to an ubiquitous shopping centre packed with multi national chain stores and eateries. Once inside you could be in any town or city in the United Kingdom.

Progress ?

I would say yes after looking at the old photos the only decent old building was kept and re-located in Falcon Square and the building is a vast improvement on the ones on Bridge Street and the riverside including the Caley Hotel.