Inverness - Above street level.

Second Row

13 hours ago, dougiedanger said:

I was reading Sarah Fraser's excellent book on the old Lord Lovat, and was reminded how the Sneck was 300 years ago a thriving port with close connections to the Baltic ports, Holland, etc., far more than with London. Also, that more than half of the population of the Scotland lived above the Highland Line, with the glens all around us relatively well populated.

Fast forward to 2017 and the place is a cultural, economic and environmental desert, a backwater scrambling to get by through tourism and supermarkets.

The union has been a complete disaster for the Highlands.:sad:

Had that comment been made rather more appropriately in the Serious Topics section, I would POSSIBLY have been tempted to point out the multiple historical fatuities of its final sentence. :sad:

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

11 hours ago, Second Row said:

A couple of easy ones to start the week........

INVERNESS - ABOVE STREET LEVEL- 8-54   .jpg

INVERNESS - ABOVE STREET LEVEL- 7-51 .jpg

The second one is the east side of Drummond Street, not sure about the first I think it is a ground floor window as you would not usually have the telephone cables running above a second floor window.

7 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

I'm actually wondering if the lady on the right in the Drummond St pic is a Betty Munro my mother used to know?!

7 hours ago, IBM said:

No that's not Betty Munro.

Now you two have drawn my attention to her........did that lady work in the Council Offices?

23 hours ago, Second Row said:

INVERNESS - ABOVE STREET LEVEL- 7-51 .jpg

Maybe I should have recognised that.  The second window along - the one past the streetlight - was my mother's office when she worked at Macandrew & Jenkins, the solicitors.

In my defence, I was more familiar with the view from that window.  Onto an interesting shop called Toyland, on the corner of Drummond Steet and Baron Taylors Street.

2 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Onto an interesting shop called Toyland, on the corner of Drummond Steet and Baron Taylors Street.

Now there was a place! A kids' Mecca in the 60s... an era when, pre-November 5th, a 10 year old could go into Toyland with half a crown and emerge with all manner of highly dangerous pyrotechnics in a brown paper bag!

4 hours ago, Second Row said:

Now you two have drawn my attention to her........did that lady work in the Council Offices?

I don't know and was just winding up CB when I said she wasn't Betty Munro :lol: