Inverness - Above street level.

Second Row

Whilst searching through my old photos of the Town, it was interesting to see how grand some of the buildings are. I suppose most of us just walk along and don't see what is just above our viewpoint. (Of course it could be argued that if you didn't look where you were going......!!)

Anyway, here's a few to see if you can identify them.......

INVERNESS - ABOVE STREET LEVEL - Bank of Scotland building - High Street  .jpg

INVERNESS - ABOVE STREET LEVEL - 41 High Street .jpg

INVERNESS - ABOVE STREET LEVEL - Building above entrance to Lombard Street - High Street .jpg

• Agree 2

Top one is the Caledonian pub - formerly a Bank I believe. Commercial Bank?

Second one is on the High Street I think - possibly opposite Shoe Zone? I kind of recall seeing a building like when I come out of that shop.

The bottom one is almost certainly the Youth Hostel building also on the High Street.

Good Pictures.  The centre of Inverness looks very sad these days but looking up above the uninspiring shop windows there is a lot of interesting architecture.  It is the same in any town and city where there are older buildings in the commercial areas of the town.  Those who built these premises built them with these elaborate embellishments as a visible display of their wealth and status.  The builders would also make a point of using ornate flourishes to demonstrate the quality of their craftsmanship.  Unfortunately, much of this architectural heritage is falling into disrepair, but nevertheless, it is always worth pausing and taking a look above the shop windows.

As i get older, i find myself starting to appreciate buildings more (could be something to do with my liking for Grand Designs). Anyhow, its amazing how many nice building there are in Snecky. Shame many of them are needing a good sand blast

38 minutes ago, SMEE said:

As i get older, i find myself starting to appreciate buildings more (could be something to do with my liking for Grand Designs). Anyhow, its amazing how many nice building there are in Snecky. Shame many of them are needing a good sand blast

With the 1960s buildings on Bridge Street in need of a good wrecking ball.

• Agree 2

Good photos and well done Gringo!  The Inverness Courier did something like this a few years ago and it was good fun.  

I am sure CB seen them this morning and he will have a sore neck by now after walking round town all day looking up at all the buildings :lol:

10 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

"John Collier, John Collier...the window to watch." Anyone remember that TV advert? When I was a kid, the manager there was Peter MacGregor, Boys' Brigade captain of the 1st Company whose sons were also BB boys.... sorry Boys... it was always with a capital letter!

Yes, the advert is very familiar.  Going back even further, I seem to remember that before it became John Collier, that shop in the High Street was the "50 Shilling Taylor".

And further along, towards Eastgate, was Burtons, under which was the billiard hall, where I spent too much time in my youth.

Edited by Caley Mad In Berks

Well, I am glad that it wasn't the Academy since that brings back painful memories of that English class in the same geographic  position on the upper level of that August Institution, that Charlie is referring to, was the one in which I remember getting belted very hard by the female English Teacher. Between her and Mr. Thom, the Latin teacher, stamping out  boredom and inattention in my mind seemed to be their life mission. And the belting that they gave me left me incapable of listening or absorbing their teachings anyway so why were they so demonstrably cruel just because I was so restless :lol:?

That Crown school was a good looking, well-built, building though along with the impressive Academy premises as well.