Scotty

Wow, c.mon caley!

As I look out my window  there is heavy snow coming down here--- over a foot overnight already.

Shoot, My wife is calling me here at 8.39 a.m for a cup of tea. Thank goodness there is something that can warm my heart. Maybe a sly whusky to boot...smile.

Back soon..keep smiling-seems like  a great fightback,:cheer01:

Apologies as ma crystal ball clouded over in most as the second penalty was taken. Sounds like a game of two halves. Fraid that we needed three points today but a point sounds as if it was achieved through effort. Sorry but still don't think that Richie got the selection right BUT the more games McKay, Anier and McCart get the better. Please give me critical reports on those three and Esson. 

3 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

BBC text says Raven conceded a penalty at 90+2, and the next thing is the 2-2 final score.

What happened?

Indirect free kick inside box from pass back allegedly

The 2nd half comeback leaves us with a bit of a feel good factor, but games are played over 90 minutes and on the whole that result just wasn't good enough. 13 without a win and still rooted to the bottom, with much harder fixtures coming up.

3 minutes ago, GoliathGrunt said:

Up next, Celtic ,Hearts Rangers, Celtic ....Cup success and top6 on horizon

So....not unreasonable to assume we will get 0 points from them games, thus extending our run to no wins in 16 games

Mckay and Anier worked well together and really did put in a shift. McCart had a few bombscare moments with clearance sclafs but no more than rest of our back 4. He had a physical challenge dealing with Dundee's Haber. (Who's a big lad) but I feel he was bossed in that 1-1 but I think Haber physicality will trouble a lot of teams. Ryan Esson looked like he"d not played in a while. Pass back kicking very poor. I'd like to be a fly on wall when he and David raven try and explain that injury time indirect free kick in our box to Richie. 0-2 at half time was harsh but self inflicted due to slack marking. Can't fault the effort of anyone in team. We could have been suckered today but weren't ....possibly some lucky breaks . Have we turned the corner? Hope so. 

credit to the team digging in and grinding out a point. When i seen 2-0 at HT i rolled my eyes and thought here we go again but to pull it back to 2-2 hopefully will give the team a bit more confidence. Shows what some fight can do. We will be needing it for the next 4 games. My eye's will be glued to the TV next Saturday morning. Don't think there is enough alcohol in Belfast to get me through it 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

First quarter of the match or so really had me believing. Ultimately both sides had chances and on balance can't complain with a draw at the end of the day, however disappointing it may seem.

We seem to have a major issue with out defence. Brad definitely had a bad game last weekend but for me McCart was way worse and I really hope Brad/Josh is back next week.  Yes McCart is young and short of match time, but his positioning, passing and ball winning was poor.  Hopefully with time he'll come good, but in meantime subs bench imo.

Esson was rusty for sure, goal number 2 seemed to go through the legs of Warren (?) then a defender plus Esson,  all of whom looked to be in the line of the ball and goal.  Kicking was poor (never his forte) but overall no worse than OFW in recent games, but certainly no better.  Warren still seems to be below the levels of performance we know of old.

Vigurs fairly stepped up, asserted himself physically from the start.  Draper had a good game, Tansey was up a notch from recent performance although still not back to his best (tremendous finish for his goal) and Billy King was my motm.  

Anier was quietly effective without attracting headlines, and my goodness,  I can't put into words how great it is to see Billy Mckay back.  Showed exactly what we've been missing, hopefully in time he'll develope a dangerous relationship with Anier.  Sadly keeper sussed him for second penalty - Billy waited til he made his move for first but keeper guessed correctly that he'd do exact same for second and saved easily, no pace on it.  Bit disappointed to see that Tansey is dropped as penalty taker after a tremendous record with just one miss, Billy - like Rooney - had awful record with penalties for us, despite fantastic scoring stats otherwise.

Plenty of positives overall but still loads to improve on and still don't know best team. Midfield and front line look like they could be OK as long as confidence stays up but defence is a worry.  not a great run of games coming up but then again these are historically the ones where we unexpectedly pick up more points than forecast!

• Agree 2

Showed bottle and fight which we wanted to see. The addition on Mckay has added movement and spark up front which has opened up King and Anier to create more - all in those 3 played well today with King covering some amount of ground. All round everyone contributed although I'm not sure mccart is better than Meekings or brad - both I think are better options.

Defensively we are still very suspect and with Tremarco being so far forwards it leaves a lot if space behind which teams can exploit which is is a bit of a concern. Also after watching everyone getting stuck in today it's frustrating to see polly and jake come on and not really step up and chase, close down or show the same fight as both king and vigurs that they replaced.

We hit the post and missed a pen but equally we had a couple of nervy goal clearances to stop Dundee extending their lead.

Much better and a step the right way but hopefully it's not too late. We would have bear Partick last week if we played that way I'm sure and against Hamilton should have parked the bus going there for a 0-0. The 2nd half momentum from today needs to be carried forward along with those players.

• Agree 1

So much more movement today amazing the space Mckay and Anier created bringing other players into the game .

A decent performance although think the Dundee goals should have been defended a lot better.

Best game I have seen Billy King play but MoM was David Raven although he could so  have easily ballsed  it up at the end.

2600 in attendance including a couple of 100 from Dundee is pretty poor turn out ,thought we had at least 2500 Season ticket holders

• Agree 1

I thought we started quite well moving the ball about, but after Dundee went ahead I felt we went into our shell and the second goal could have been a killer, fair play to the lads, I thought the came out in the second half and grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck, the crowd got behind the boys once they showed some passion, it was a lot better showing from the team today, I thought we had enough opportunities to win the game, but probably a fair result as Dundee did miss a few golden chances to bury us when it was 1-2.

I am a lot happier after today's 2nd half performance,   

I agree with most of the above. More fight and less predictable.

Esson did not inspire confidence early on, but seemed to settle. Full backs generally ok, although Raven did cause concern with that back pass late on. Tremarco could have scored and unlucky to be booked. 

Warren seemed fine but McCart caused a few nervy moments and had a tough shift. 

In midfield, Dundee seemed to get a lot of space, but little criticism from me for Tansey or Vigurs. Both were up for it, witness Tansey's delight at scoring. Draper had a good shift including a stint up front when we were looking for the win. King had a good game and arguably our best player on the day.

Anier better than last Saturday and great to have Mckay back. Very dangerous and a class above the strikers we have had for some time. Just a pity about the penalty he had saved.

There were not two goals of a difference at half time, but as others have said we were slack at the second. It could have been worse, as Dundee missed some decent chances. Had our early effort off the post gone in, I believe we would have kicked on.

Good showing in second half, delighted we turned it round as I would have taken a draw at half time, but I'm actually disappointed we didn't get a third.

A tough month ahead, and any points in the next three league games may be a bonus, but I'm more hopeful than of late.

It was great to hear more positivity and singing from the crowd than at most games this season too.

We can still get out of this pickle!

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 2

saw more action in the opponents box today than I have seen all season. doumboua's static style of play, couldn't hold up the ball, etc compared to billy mcKays movement was stark.

esson showed his age today. first passback he took a touch and was like an old man trying to kick the ball up the field, went about 20 yards. Williams to start next week for sure.

problem area today was warren and mcCart, both too slow and the young boy was out of his depth at the level. 1st goal the centre forward out muscled 3-4 of our defenders to power a header in. 2nd Dundee was a cracking cross from right back, hatley I assume, and the player who headed the goal was allowed to ghost in front of our defenders  to meet the ball

yet again we have to score 3 goals to win a game at home because we are such a soft touch in defence. at home if we score 2 we should be winning games

thought mackay was excellent today, running channels, coming short for balls that were sticking and allowing others into the game.

why oh why though did we allow him on his return be our penalty kick man. when he was here before he was missing that many the job was given to tansey. his first today he sent the keeper diving the wrong way but he nearly got a toe to it to keep it out. The second showed the difference between having a good goalkeeper and not having one. He saved Dundee on a few occasions today.

we hit the post early on and from a vigurs free kick in the second, missed a penalty. these go in when your up the league but don't when you are where we are.

Dundee missed a great chance to go 3-1 after we scored but looked from north stand it scraped the outside of the post. maybe our luck is beginning to turn after all 

more enjoyable games than others this season but why so much booing at half time whistle?

A good gutsy performance also a little surprised to be going in at half time 2 goals down but Dundee did have a strong wind assisting them.

McCart looks a little green but its his first game, wandered a little out of position and plays the safer short pass, yet still kicks an inch perfect ball over to the line for a throw in when the ball was to be replaced. If he can pick a player or even a spot on the pitch, he will be a real asset on the counter attack with a bit more belief.

2-0 down and did the heads go down?  Not at all,  whats the difference?  maybe, a Foran pep talk or even the fact that the only way of scoring a goal before was a long ball to Doumboya and now we have 2 very capable strikers with an abundance of options for getting the ball up the park.

The boys battled hard and fought well

Over all a very gutsy performance, with skill, vision and belief coming to the fore.

I think I had concerns over survival after Hamilton but if we keep battling for points in every game from now on and we still have to, then were not going down.

Mulrainey and Polly need to step up a gear if they want to get into that 1st 11 though.

With fresh legs Polly needs to be the first one to the ball and follow through if need be instead of hesitating and backing off,  regarding Jakes enthusiasm its a team game so no need to try and take out Ross Draper when going for the ball. :smile:

• Agree 2

That was some game!.  A terrific effort from the lads and good support from the crowd as well.

What a difference Mckay made!  But credit Foran for picking a side to play to his strengths.  Having Anier and McKay up front with King wide on the right and with Draper playing behind the front two caused Dundee all sorts of problems.  All four of them were excellent and put in a fantastic shift.  It left acres of space wide on the left which Tremarco exploited very well.  He nearly scored when he hit the post early in the first half and had chances later in the game as well.  Billy M was superb, but why was he taking the penalties?  He has always been rubbish at spot kicks and I'd have any of Tansey, Draper or Vigurs taking the kicks before Billy.

It was great to see Tansey score but why oh why does he not provide support to the front men a bit more?  How often do we see attacks break down with the ball running loose around the edge of the box and there is nobody there to exploit it.  Tansey's goal was a prime example of exactly why he needs to get up the park a bit more.

We could have scored a few more, but whilst that attacking performance provides hope for the rest of the season, the defensive performance provides concerns.  OFW has not been at his best this season but I'm not sure he deserved to be dropped.  Esson's performance was not great and he was unable to command the box.  The second goal came from a corner which should never have been conceded.  A cross was aimed at the back post but was well short.  It should have been an easy, unchallenged take on the 6 yard line but he stayed on the line and left Warren to deal with it.

Again we looked pretty fragile in the centre of defence.  Clearly it was difficult for young McCart to have been thrown in to this environment and I think that it would be unfair to criticise him.  He needs time to settle in and gain a bit of experience.  The fact that he was on from the start clearly demonstrates the lack of defensive options we have.  There is some serious work to do to make the defence more solid.  I predict a 7-3 defeat at Parkhead next week!

Finally a word on the referee.  He made a few odd decisions but full marks to him for awarding the two penalties.  Far too often we see players wrestled to the ground in the box and the referees doing nothing, so it was good to see a referee prepared to take action for once.

• Agree 3

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic