Goalkeeping Crisis

Kingsmills

I am all for loyalty to players particularly goalkeepers but OFW's form and with it, his confidence, is completely shattered at the moment and he appears capable of throwing the ball into the net at any moment.

We are effectively out of the cup and in a dire relegation battle and need a capable and confident 'keeper. Last Saturday's match against Dundee would appear to show than Ryan Esson is not the answer.

We have a couple of very capable young 'keepers on the books. Time to show confidence in one of them. He couldn't do worse than the current incumbent. With Fon Williams in current form, we will go down.

Absolute disgrace that he has retained his position .Absolute disgrace we do not have a back up keeper that can step up.Absolute disgrace we have no cover at all for the back 5. Absolute bizarre we never brought anybody in the window other more front players.

if Esson cannot play what is his role 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

On the goalie front, are we able to recall Mackay from Elgin? If Esson is injured, there's surely a case. Don't know what has happened to OFW. Never great at dead balls or commanding his area but at the start of the season, he still had some excellent games. But now .... there's just too much at stake in the league to be relying solely on him without guaranteed fit back-up.

Has anyone considered at OFW may be carrying an injury. He looked slow at getting down yesterday. It was more about his movement than his confidence. Having a go at another legend here but Gary Warren is not exactly providing cover these days. And Draper looks like the only one working in front of the back four. Tansey and Vigurs are a couple of chocolate teapots.

• Agree 2

Cannot fathom that if OFW serious lack of form is down to playing when he is unfit, then why would we loan out are 2nd choice keeper.

The squad RF has put together is horrendously imbalanced with no defensive cover and a abundance of attack minded bit part players.

• Agree 1

May as well try Draper in goal, he's already played as forward, creative mid, defensive mid and centre back, let him complete the set and given the dodgy butter fingers displays recently he might not be any worse - can guarantee he'd be brave and put himself on the line to get crosses and make challenges.

BTW I'm not being serious but on current form we have 2 of the worst keepers I remember for a long while whether that's due to constant changes in the back 4 and loss of confidence due to the amount of pressure being exposed all the time. Both are experienced pro's so need to step up if not its time to bring in youth.

• Agree 2

certainly seems to have a problem with confidence at the moment, but he is exposed by a shaky defence who don.t seem to know what they are doing. It was all well and good Foran coming out with a policy  of attack attack attack, but it should be based on a solid defence a mid field that knows what is doing and not just on Draper. I have said it before Vigors appears to be a bit player good when he feels like it but most of the time just drifting about. Get a solid defence which includes the midfield and build from there become difficult to beat then effective up front we now have an effective centre forward lets use him.  

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, WYNESS101 said:

should have kept brill end of story

Easy to say that with the benefit of hindsight. OFW had a very solid season last season, we only had the resources to keep one and, since there was nothing between them and there was a significant financial benefit in keeping Fon Williams that decision made sense.

Nobody could foresee just how quickly and badly his form would drop this season.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

Easy to say that with the benefit of hindsight. OFW had a very solid season last season, we only had the resources to keep one and, since there was nothing between them and there was a significant financial benefit in keeping Fon Williams that decision made sense.

Nobody could foresee just how quickly and badly his form would drop this season.

Why only the resources for one keeper, we have at least 5 centre forwards on the books, an abundance of wide men and god knows how many central midfield players, could we have not sacrificed one of them for an experienced keeper. To go into a relegation battle with one goalkeeper who I am led to believe is not 100 % fit is an absolute cluster.

This should and could have been addressed in the window if not before.       

• Agree 1

Along with the Happy Clappers and the Depressing Droners, we also have an abundance of experienced Premiership First Team Managers and Board Members.  I cant understand why we are in the position we are with all this experience and expertise floating around. Amazing! 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

24 minutes ago, ictfcsince94 said:

Along with the Happy Clappers and the Depressing Droners, we also have an abundance of experienced Premiership First Team Managers and Board Members.  I cant understand why we are in the position we are with all this experience and expertise floating around. Amazing! 

Simple assumption, that if we have a GK that is struggling for form through carrying an injury, we bring in another keeper or refrain from sending out the 2nd choice out on loan.

Now that is really amazing.

Also, as you seem unable to grasp the reason we are rooted to the foot of the table I have an unqualified theory .Maybe it's because we have only won 3 games and conceded nearly a half century of goals. That is not so amazing. 

• Agree 3

I am reliably informed that OFW is carrying an injury. Have a look at the BBC highlights and concentrate on OFW. There is limited movement, he is static, evidently has a back problem. And watch how he is afterwards. You do NOT become a bad goalie over night. To me is a shot stopper. Looks like he had a gobstopper up his erse but goalies with a bad back !!! Not as bad as Vigurs when he gave the ball away though.