Goalkeeping Crisis

Kingsmills

3 hours ago, ictfcsince94 said:

Along with the Happy Clappers and the Depressing Droners, we also have an abundance of experienced Premiership First Team Managers and Board Members.  I cant understand why we are in the position we are with all this experience and expertise floating around. Amazing! 

Don't usually do it but gave you a green fer that. There are a lot of people who think that our experience and previous individual performances / attributes will take us through. Well we would not be in this feckin godawful position if we feckin did :cry:

So we all know there is a problem, and it has been said before - when the SPFL turned us down for an emergency loan - that OFW was playing through an injury. So whats the solution? The window is closed and therefore, assuming that the overlords of our game are willing and happy to (continue to) jeopardise the long term health and safety of our #1 keeper ... signing a free agent has to be looked at as there are no other options.

No idea who is on the market right now but I do see Chris Konopka - formerly of Toronto FC and briefly at Ross County - is showing up as available. A decent if unspectacular keeper, who has shown willingness to travel as far as Dingwall in the past and likely would not break the budget.   Who else is out there ? Who could the club look at to ease the burden on OFW and allow him to heal and get back to being the keeper he was and is when fully fit ? 

Just now, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Scotty - fer fecks sake - if we stated that neither OFW or Esson were unfit - would that have been ignored ?

What if RF was "worried" about playing a non- match fit Esson and plumped to go with an unfit OFW ?

If Esson is physically fit but match unfit then that would be preferable to an injured OFW. If both are carrying injuries then we have to look at getting cover in until the end of the season. 

4 hours ago, forresjags said:

Simple assumption, that if we have a GK that is struggling for form through carrying an injury, we bring in another keeper or refrain from sending out the 2nd choice out on loan.

Now that is really amazing.

Also, as you seem unable to grasp the reason we are rooted to the foot of the table I have an unqualified theory .Maybe it's because we have only won 3 games and conceded nearly a half century of goals. That is not so amazing. 

Not sure if you don't get sarcasm.....:ponder:

as I said previously, I guess we are putting players out on loan to free up finances to get others in.  Cammy had been at Elgin before, and was clearly in demand. This arrangement is beneficial short term -finances and long term - developing a player for the future, either for us or to sell on. 

Arguably, we put our 3rd choice out on loan, as Esson would be the natural 2nd choice.

there are problems further up the park which need to be addressed before blowing more money on another keeper! If any free agents are to be signed, they should be defenders!!!

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Cannot disagree that we have issues all over the park, but we are talking here about a goalkeeping crisis. Individual goalkeeping errors are costing us and I can only imagine the negative impact it must have on the other 10 outfield players. Confidence is low and costly errors need to be cut out. Have every sympathy with OFW if he his being asked to play when not 100% fit,but it is not doing his GK reputation much good. Will be interesting to see if Chris Coleman includes him in his next squad. 

If we are to rescue what is left of this season RF needs to find a solution pretty quickly,      

• Agree 1

I see Shaw is now under investigation with the FA because a betting firm apparently offered odds of 8-1 that he would eat a pie on camera during the match!  He has admitted that he was aware that some of his mates had taken up the bet.  However, he might be cleared because it was a pasty and not a pie he was eating.  You couldn't make it up!  

Well, after last night's blunders by OFW, are we in a crisis situation again?  It has been implied that OFW is carrying an injury.  Maybe so, but I don't think that was the problem last night against Celtic.   In between errors, he actually made some important saves.  But, for me, OFW has never been a great kicker of the ball, and his positioning for free kicks has always been suspect, right from day one, and it is those frailties which cost us two goals last night.  He was not to blame for the first and last goals.

So, is Esson fit?  If so imo he should be first choice for rest of season.  If Esson is not fit I don't know what to suggest.  Stick with OFW?, or promote our next in line?

11 minutes ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

Well, after last night's blunders by OFW, are we in a crisis situation again?  It has been implied that OFW is carrying an injury.  Maybe so, but I don't think that was the problem last night against Celtic.   In between errors, he actually made some important saves.  But, for me, OFW has never been a great kicker of the ball, and his positioning for free kicks has always been suspect, right from day one, and it is those frailties which cost us two goals last night.  He was not to blame for the first and last goals.

So, is Esson fit?  If so imo he should be first choice for rest of season.  If Esson is not fit I don't know what to suggest.  Stick with OFW?, or promote our next in line?

The trouble is that the obvious next in line, who is a very promising young 'keeper, is out on loan at Elgin. That said, while OFW still has a lapse or two in him, he seems to be in better form than a month or so ago and is probably the best available.

Edited by Kingsmills

3 hours ago, forresjags said:

The goalkeeping issue should have been addressed in the January window. If OFW has been carrying an injury as speculated  and Ryan Esson's fitness is suspect then why sign another striker in Henry Anier a squad player at best???  

This!!! 

Sums it up for me.