Stock car racing at the Longman.

Second Row

Great photographs again, Second Row! 

I don't seem to remember stock car racing at the Longman, even though I was still around in Inverness in 1973. 

Earlier than that, my father and I used to go to stock car racing somewhere in the Black Isle - between Conon Bridge and Muir of Ord?  Anyone remember? 

I also remember motor cycle scrambling at Lochardil. I think it was where Lochardil Place is now - just across the road from the Lochardil Hotel. Not sure if it was regular or a one-off.

And the only time I've ever been to Cowdenbeath's ground was to see stock car racing - not the Blue Brazil.

7 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Earlier than that, my father and I used to go to stock car racing somewhere in the Black Isle - between Conon Bridge and Muir of Ord?  Anyone remember?

Aye, it was held in a Mulbuie crofter's field adjoining the road which runs from the Leanaig crossroads to Muir of Ord.

Edited by Second Row

I went to the stock car racing at the Longman which was on the old dump which would be where the New Century House and east towards the approach to the bridge.  Picture 1 K16 ?????, Hillman Minx Series 3, Ford Consul Mk2, behind the Minx is Wolseley 4/44, MG Magnette or Riley 2.6 which all shared the same body and the one behing the Consul is a Morris Oxford MO.  Second picture I haven't a clue thought it was a SWB Landrover by the steering wheel but there are only 4 studs on the wheels! 

10 minutes ago, Second Row said:

Aye, it was held in a Mulbuie crofter's field adjoining the road which runs from the Leanaig crossroads to Muir of Ord.

Wow - thank you!  I was only hoping that someone else would say "Aye, I remember".  Never expected anyone to tell me exactly where it was!

I thought K16 was a Mini - partly because of its height relative to the Minx and Consul, but also because of the line of the windscreen and its general profile, ignoring the bumper and roll bar..

1 minute ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Wow - thank you!  I was only hoping that someone else would say "Aye, I remember".  Never expected anyone to tell me exactly where it was!

I thought K16 was a Mini - partly because of its height relative to the Minx and Consul, but also because of the line of the windscreen and its general profile, ignoring the bumper and roll bar..

I thought the roofline looked like that but the wheels looked to big but I see now the engine is transverse mounted which would confirm your thoughts.

1 minute ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

I thought the roofline looked like that but the wheels looked to big but I see now the engine is transverse mounted which would confirm your thoughts.

16 minutes ago, Second Row said:

I haven't looked at these photos since I took them over forty years ago and just noticed the irony of the advert for Michelin tyres in the second pic!

The Consul could do with a set!

About 1970 my next door neighbour had just passed his driving test and he borrowed his fathers Consul to visit his sister who had just moved to Avoch.  His younger brother sat in the front passenger side with me in the middle on the bench seat as it was a 3 speed with column gear change.  We went over on the ferry but to save money on the way home we were heading round by Muir of Ord and near Tore there was a huge pool of water across the road and Malcolm put his foot down to speed through it only to rip the exhaust clean off the car!  What a racket all the way home and needless to say there were a few choice words from his father.   

There's a few Rules being broken here!!

4. Roundabouts (184 to 190)

On approaching a roundabout  You should......

• use Mirrors – Signal – Manoeuvre at all stages
  • decide as early as possible which exit you need to take
  • give an appropriate signal (see Rule 186, below). Time your signals so as not to confuse other road users
  • get into the correct lane
  • adjust your speed and position to fit in with traffic conditions
  • be aware of the speed and position of all the road users around you.

58ad50d1901fe_INVERNESS-Stockcars-Longman-September1973674.thumb.jpg.1af1bbfede8fbc77371d6c524fa39832.jpg

2 hours ago, Second Row said:

I stand corrected.......it also had, sort of..... "fin tails"?

At that time there was there was the Vanden Plas, Riley, Wolseley, MG, Morris and Austin all shared the Cambridge body but in these days you could easy tell them by the different grille and badges, there was also a range of engines.  In 1967 while working in Skye my father bought a Riley 4/72 which was in that range, reg. 479FS Black and White, it was smashed and an insurance write off and it was a left hand drive!  He not only repaired it but converted it to right hand drive using spares from a MG Magnette including the wooden dashboard from the MG which was different from the Riley but all fitted and run it for a couple of years.  I was always helping him when he was working on cars so picked up a lot which now with modern cars is of no use at all :sad:

I once owned a Vanden Plas Princess just before I left for Canada over 40 years ago. I realised it was time to move it on when on the main road the bonnet flew up over my windscreen (windshield in Canada) when a double decker bus was coming along the road towards me. Immediate panic and brake linings faded very quickly on such days. Smile!

Apart from that it was a comfortable car to ride in and had some swank about it with it's Rolls Royce engine. BUT>>>>it guzzled gas. And all the swank denied the fact that the engine, strangely enough, was not that powerful thus limiting the top speed.:cheer01:

• 2 weeks later...