Beware the Ides of March

I only watched the last 20 minutes but seemingly Partick Thistle were very poor today and only had their first real chance at the very end, so hopefully they are the same on Saturday.

Danny Devine sent off for two bookings. I'm not an expert on how suspensions work when the cup is involved: does he miss out next week?

Edited by Robert

1 hour ago, Robert said:

I only watched the last 20 minutes but seemingly Partick Thistle were very poor today and only had their first real chance at the very end, so hopefully they are the same on Saturday.

Danny Devine sent off for two bookings. I'm not an expert on how suspensions work when the cup is involved: does he miss out next week?

He seemed to pick up a foot injury so I wondered if he would be out anyway. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing anyway. Also Osman picked up a knock in the same incident...

but never underestimate our potential to play shyte at Firhill.

Edited by TheMantis

2 hours ago, Robert said:

Half listened to it on the radio, from what I picked up was that they played 'park-the-bus'.  And apparently did that pretty well, but offered little going forward.  I suspect they will play a very different game at home to the bottom team.

an away game, so target has to be a point. And he's been mooted before: other results are irrelevant. We don't lose, we move on to the next one. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Robert said:

That offence would normally carry on to the players next available cup match.*

* Unless you play for a large club and then you can then have it admonished by playing in a different cup in a different country. **

**If you use a player that is banned from playing, then the club can be expelled from the competition***

***Unless you play for a large club. Then you can pretend to serve it in a different cup in a different country.

I'm not bitter, I'm all Heart.

The thing that struck me from watching the game was the physicality of the Thistle side.  Osman was very lucky to remain on the park following his assaults on Hayes.  I don't think they have a great deal of pace at the back and therefore if they press too much they will be vulnerable to our pace on the break.  They are also a pretty hard working side and don't allow players too much time on the ball.  There is no reason why we can't get 3 points out of this but we need to be disciplined at the back and play well across the team.  1st goal will be crucial.

On the subject of physicallity, how on earth did Garner not get sent off for his wild kick on Imrie yesterday?  He then went on to score 2 more goals.  Of course, Foderingham should also have gone for an early bath in the first half after handling out of his area.  It is really quite alarming how inept some of the officials in Scottish football are.  The need for a video referee for bigger games has never been more obvious.

Excellent semi-final draw.  It will see the Shinnie brothers in opposition as well as ensuring we don't have an ugly sisters' final.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

The thing that struck me from watching the game was the physicality of the Thistle side.  Osman was very lucky to remain on the park following his assaults on Hayes.  I don't think they have a great deal of pace at the back and therefore if they press too much they will be vulnerable to our pace on the break.  They are also a pretty hard working side and don't allow players too much time on the ball.  There is no reason why we can't get 3 points out of this but we need to be disciplined at the back and play well across the team.  1st goal will be crucial.........

Being at a loose end yesterday afternoon, I too watched this game.  At least the TV was on, even if I didn't give it my full attention.  I agree with DD's assessment of PT.  In addition, they showed absolutely nothing going forwards, until the last seconds of the game.  If we can't beat this lot on yesterday's showing, we probably don't deserve to be in the top division.  Mind you, Aberdeen were not exactly great themselves, apart from a nice move for their goal, and a couple of good saves from the PT keeper.

The thing which struck me yesterday about this game was how much the ball was in the air. It seemed to be nothing but headers back and fore the whole game.  Dire to watch.  Not exactly a great advertisement for Scottish football. 

Anyway, I honestly think we can beat them at Firhill, despite our poor record there over the years.

Edited by Caley Mad In Berks

3 hours ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

Being at a loose end yesterday afternoon, I too watched this game.  At least the TV was on, even if I didn't give it my full attention.  I agree with DD's assessment of PT.  In addition, they showed absolutely nothing going forwards, until the last seconds of the game.  If we can't beat this lot on yesterday's showing, we probably don't deserve to be in the top division.  Mind you, Aberdeen were not exactly great themselves, apart from a nice move for their goal, and a couple of good saves from the PT keeper.

The thing which struck me yesterday about this game was how much the ball was in the air. It seemed to be nothing but headers back and fore the whole game.  Dire to watch.  Not exactly a great advertisement for Scottish football. 

Anyway, I honestly think we can beat them at Firhill, despite our poor record there over the years.

The fact is our next two games are ones we are perfectly capable of winning. Six points and things will look a great deal brighter. Anything less than four and it could look pretty grim. We cannot afford to be even remotely detached at the bottom come the split.

21 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

On the subject of physicallity, how on earth did Garner not get sent off for his wild kick on Imrie yesterday?  He then went on to score 2 more goals.  Of course, Foderingham should also have gone for an early bath in the first half after handling out of his area.  It is really quite alarming how inept some of the officials in Scottish football are.  The need for a video referee for bigger games has never been more obvious.

Inept? I suppose that's one word for it. 

• Agree 1

Well I will be there on a Pendolino Away Day, free of the usual Old Filth travellers (on the way back at least). Anybody meeting in town or is it straight to a Partick Bistro of Mary Hill's choice ?!!

I would go with the same team that started against Sevco apart from McCart for Warren and hopefully the return of Tremarco for MacKay.

And remember the Ides are on the 15th. Anything but a point and a positive performance may see the demise of Mr. Foran - or at least criticism and extreme pressure which can only affect him and the club in general.

8 hours ago, ict247 said:

Draper & Tremarco are suspended...

:cry:

Down to our indiscipline and stoopid, needless cards

That will probably mean that Foran will reinstate  Vigurs :cry:

ICT need all the support that we can muster. :ictscarf:

• Agree 2

Well IHE is right about the Ides--up to a point. They occur on the 7th March but occasionally, due to  something about the Romans or their calendar, on the 15th. I am sure our resident scribe, the Charles, will enlighten us. However, it's an omen all right......?

10 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Well IHE is right about the Ides--up to a point. They occur on the 7th March but occasionally, due to  something about the Romans or their calendar, on the 15th. I am sure our resident scribe, the Charles, will enlighten us. However, it's an omen all right......?

I remember doing this in Latin in about 2nd Year. Each month in the Roman calendar had three fixed points - the Kalends (hence "calendar") which were always the 1st, plus the Nones and the Ides on the 5th and 13th - except for March, July, October and May when they were the 7th and 15th. The Ides of March (or as the soothsayer said "cave Idus Martias - beware the Ides of March") are hence the 15th - ie next Wednesday. Today, the 10th of March, is hence "the fifth day before the Ides of March" or (approximately, all these years on from Caesar in Room 14!) "ante diem quintus Idus Martias". There may also have been an abbreviation something like "a. d. V Id Mar".

Edited by Charles Bannerman

4 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

I remember doing this in Latin in about 2nd Year. Each month in the Roman calendar had three fixed points - the Kalends (hence "calendar") which were always the 1st, plus the Nones and the Ides on the 5th and 13th - except for March, July, October and May when they were the 7th and 15th. The Ides of March (or as the soothsayer said "cave Idus Martias - beware the Ides of March") are hence the 15th - ie next Wednesday. Today, the 10th of March, is hence "the fifth day before the Ides of March" or (approximately, all these years on from Caesar in Room 14!) "ante diem quintus Idus Martias". There may also have been an abbreviation something like "a. d. V Id Mar".

Sounds as though you kept all your old school exercise books, Charles!