Views of Inverness from top of Castle - 1975.

Second Row

11 hours ago, Second Row said:

58c132a67cc6f_INVERNESS-1975-1.thumb.jpg.0430e6563b477a0ab5739354b5155923.jpg

Another good photo showing the old youth hostel at Viewhill Gate which is likely to be the last we will see of it!  The building that is now the Castle Tavern looks like a house but I think it may have been offices and Brian Macgregors Garage down the Haugh, the white gable end with the roof to the left in front of the open grass area is the old rifle range.

8 hours ago, IBM said:

I am sure there will be many of us going down to the tower at the castle when it opens at Easter to try and get better photos :wink:

For some residing in less leafy surroundings, it will be a case of going up to the tower ;-)

9 hours ago, IBM said:

... the white gable end with the roof to the left in front of the open grass area is the old rifle range.

Well remembered! I fired a few bullets in there, but never really got into it.

Living up the road, I cycled up that steep part of Castle Street many, many times. Though Hetty's shop was a frequent stop.

A family friend lived in one of the houses in the second row (appropriate!) off Castle Street on the left. You went in off the street past Hetty's shop, then turned left. I had no idea that they were, until she moved in.  Quite claustrophobic- Castle Street buildings on one side, and the slope up to Ardconnel Street on the other.

28 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

...... I cycled up that steep part of Castle Street many, many times.

You've just brought back my memory of the steepness of that brae!
One Saturday morning, I was standing-in for a friend of mine who was the message-boy for a butcher's shop in Church Street, at the corner of Fraser Street - would it have been the Co-op?

I reported for work at 0700 and filled up the basket on the bike with the orders of mince and sausages etc. and set off up Church Street headed for the Hill district. When I came to Hetty's at the foot of the brae I stopped and began the long push. Being only 13 or 14, I could only manage to push a few yards at a time and had to apply the brakes to stop the bike running back. Eventually, I reached the top and continued around the customers' houses. The afternoon shift was the same, this time up to Hilton. One of the longest days of my life. Just made it back to the shop at 1800 to collect my wages and a large bundle of sausages wrapped in a brown paper bag!
I also had a fair amount of shillings from the customers to take the edge of the tiredness.

• Agree 1

Great photographs, again. So much detail - especially when you click on them and get the slightly larger versions.

What strikes me is how little traffic there is. Plenty of parked cars, but few actually on the move. If I had to guess, I'd say you took them on a Sunday morning when the churches were in!

Plenty of gas in the gasometer - must have been expecting a cold spell.  I used to live very close to it, at the top of George Street. About where the wall of the car park of Smyth's toy superstore - next to the roundabout - is now.

41 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

..... So much detail - especially when you click on them and get the slightly larger versions.

Aye, I noticed that only recently myself. It's annoying when the piccies don't show as sharp as the original.

when you upload a picture you can click on it to make it bigger as noted but there should also be a button on the bigger version that allows you to click for 'full size'. 

if more space is needed or the max size is reached let me know and I can tweak things.