Inverness - from N-W tower of Kessock Bridge.

Second Row

......."but can't see the houses on Fairfield road that ran up to the Canal. On the East side they were stone-built  ones and on the other side of the Street they were those which were started about the 1940's as the commencement  of the Dalneigh build."

Keep in mind that the 35mm photo was taken from about two miles away so the foreshortening is quite pronounced.

Hopefully,you can see the backs of the stone-built houses on Fairfield Road. At the end of the Bumber's Lane you can see the first of the council houses on Fairfield Road.

Caley Park - Bumber's Lane - Fairfield Road - Hawthorn Drive - Road leading to Canal - May 1988.pdf

2nd Row--thank you!! That is very interesting.

But I can't remember the houses being at the bottom of the Bumber's  Lane on the opposite side of it from the Caley Park At that time I thought that Howden's nursery went from Fairfield road right down to at least opposite the entrance to the Caley park. So what year were these photos taken?

• 6 months later...
On 25/03/2017 at 8:50 AM, IBM said:

Post Office Telephones, BT, Openreach from 1975-2016

First job I ever worked on as an apprentice IBM was the telephone exchange building at the rear of the building facing Church Street. I think the main contractor was called Holst or similar. A lot of the pipe was being done in Cast Iron with leaded joints. Couldn’t believe how heavy it was at 1st bit of a shock coming straight from school 

23 hours ago, jagster said:

First job I ever worked on as an apprentice IBM was the telephone exchange building at the rear of the building facing Church Street. I think the main contractor was called Holst or similar. A lot of the pipe was being done in Cast Iron with leaded joints. Couldn’t believe how heavy it was at 1st bit of a shock coming straight from school 

You must be a lot older than I thought :lol: I was still doing lead plumbing in the early 90's (hot on the hands) on the old lead sheath copper cables  and I am sure there are still many of them still working.

Think there is only about 5 yrs between us you obviously thought it was more as I look so much younger :lol:  The building was quite well on when I started my apprenticeship but there was a huge amount of the internal plumbing cast iron work etc still to be done. I must admit I really enjoyed that part of my apprenticeship and it sets you up in good stead for working on old historic Scotland buildings etc where Cast is still used though it is getting rarer to see as due to cost etc other products like alumasc and pvc etc can be made to look like Cast and are a lot lighter and cheaper to install I dare say a lot of apprentices nowadays wouldn’t really know how to do it but then again I don’t suppose they  need to. Spent a lot of time 80s 90s taking out old lead pipework replacing with alkathene but there are s still houses to this day we come across lead. Not really allowed to take out the moleskin cloth anymore and wipe joints etc plastic fittings no lead allowed 

Edited by jagster