Team for Saint Johnstone

RiG

After IHEs double vodka induced team thread for Motherwell it probably makes sense to get something for this weeks game up and running :wink:

The latest in our series of must win games. Hopefully we go with a bit more of an attacking line up. Whilst I can see why Foran has wanted to play with a more defensive mindset draws are no good to us. Even a win against Saint Johnstone and a loss v Motherwell might be better than another two draws.

Barring injuries or suspensions hopefully we can line up along the following lines:

OFW
Raven Laing Warren Tremarco
Draper Tansey
Mulraney Polworth King
Mckay

Wouldn't mind seeing Fisher especially if we are going to thump long balls up to Billy. Obviously this would require a shuffle in terms of player positions but this was the setup that saw us record a win over Saint Johnstone earlier this season during our slightly impressive run of form during which time Polworth was played in the middle and he performed well much like he did for most of Tuesday night. If Mulraney is fit I feel he should play. His crossing is a bit ropey but he is pretty much the only player with pace in the side. Give King 45 minutes before bringing on Cole (or vice versa). Neither have impressed for a full game for me.

Saints I'd imagine will be without Swanson and Foster which in theory benefits us but they had a good result against Hearts last night and are something like 20 plus points ahead of us so this is going to be a tough game to get anything from.

Some encouraging stats to get you in the mood...

• ICT have conceded at least one goal in each of their last 9 matches.
  • ICT have conceded at least one goal in 94% of their home matches.
  • 68% of our points have been earned at home.
  • ICT have conceded the opening goal in 71% of their matches.
  • ICT have conceded at least one goal in each of their last 5 home matches.

Referee is Stephen Finnie.

The team I'd like to see:

Fon Williams

Raven Laing McCart Tremarco

Draper Tansey

Mulraney Polworth Cole

Mckay

The team I think we'll see:

Fon Williams

Raven Warren Laing McCart Tremarco

Polworth Draper Tansey

Mckay Anier

Again, I've completely forgotten about McNaughton :laugh: He's been really impressive since coming back from injury so he deserves a starting spot but I'm not sure who would drop out. Laing, McCart and Warren have all looked good recently.

8 hours ago, RiG said:

Again, I've completely forgotten about McNaughton :laugh: He's been really impressive since coming back from injury so he deserves a starting spot but I'm not sure who would drop out. Laing, McCart and Warren have all looked good recently.

Get out of Jail Card as Raven is a doubt with a groin strain.....Mulraney out with a hamstring issue.

10 hours ago, CaleyD said:

Get out of Jail Card as Raven is a doubt with a groin strain.....Mulraney out with a hamstring issue.

Cheers, McNaughton at RM for me then :laugh:

• Agree 1

On 06/04/2017 at 1:19 PM, RiG said:

I think had McNaughton been an ever present this season, ICT wouldnt be fighting for SPFL survival. I think he is one of the few class players we have

• Agree 3

20 minutes ago, SMEE said:

I think had McNaughton been an ever present this season, ICT wouldnt be fighting for SPFL survival. I think he is one of the few class players we have

I agree about McNaughton, he is still a class act but we took a punt on him on a significant salary with his injury prone record and that punt unfortunately didn't pay off but hopefully he can reward us now by helping dig us out of the hole we're in.

Whilst not in the Rooney or Ronaldo financial league, McNaughton has had a highly lucrative career and has, most certainly, earned a good deal more in the course of that career than any other player in the squad in addition to which he has recently benefited from a testimonial match at Cardiff. It would be nice to think that he would repay the faith we showed in him by signing on next season, whether in the Premiership or Championship, for a more modest rate of remuneration.

As far as tomorrow's match is concerned, in the interests of sporting integrity, St Johnstone should play the second half with nine men  !

• Agree 1

If Raven is struggling with injury, then we can just slot McNaughton in at right back.

I'd drop Warren, to be honest.  Our best defensive performance in recent weeks, when we beat Rangers, came with McCart and Laing as our CBs.  Warren's had a poor season and his clumsy o.g. at Pittodrie is just his latest mishap.

If we play 4-2-3-1. Polworth must play in the advanced midfield role.  In turn, Draper must start in a more defensive role than he has done in recent home games - it in turn frees up Tansey to concentrate on starting attacks.

However, if our intention is to just punt the ball long, we may as well go 4-4-2 and start Fisher alongside Mckay. However, Fisher's Courier interview today, where he complains about having been left out for months despite being fit, may not go down well with the manager.

A few weeks back I saw St. Johnstone win in Dingwall.  They pressed high up the pitch, and comfortably dealt with County's hoofball.  In turn, they counter-attacked quickly and effectively, and deserved to win by a far more convincing scoreline than 2-1.  I expect more of the same tomorrow, sadly.

Dean Brill

Roddy Davidson  Peter Corbett Dave Milroy  Brian Black

Jimmy Inglis  Andy Penman Titchy Black  Billy Baxter 

Billy Urquhart  Jim Guyan 

Charlie Christie as interim manager until end of season 

(Being diplomatic with my 50/50 split of pre-merger players and using Brill as goalie lol)

Foran - selling match day programmes under the Kessock Bridge (about his limit!)

Edited by Guest