Director Richard Smith Resigns from Board

Dargo20

Caley Thistle director Richard Smith resigns from club's board

Written byJamie Durent

Richard Smith (far left), with ICT Trust directors Alan Sellar and David Stewart and Caley Thistle director Alan McPhee. Picture: Ken Macpherson.
Richard Smith (far left), with ICT Trust directors Alan Sellar and David Stewart and Caley Thistle director Alan McPhee. Picture: Ken Macpherson.

RICHARD Smith has tendered his resignation from the Caley Thistle board of directors.

The Inverness businessman, managing director at chartered surveyors Allied Souter & Jaffrey, declared his intention to step down from his position during the week.

Smith resigned from his position prior to the game with Motherwell but kept it under wraps until after the final whistle.

Richard Smith, who has resigned his directorship of Caley Thistle.
Richard Smith, who has resigned his directorship of

Just to add.. 

Wonder if he resigned in protest at the chairman's reluctance to rectify the managerial crisis?

I can see a power struggle coming.....   ' There maybe trouble ahead.'

14 minutes ago, PerfICT said:

Would love to know why he resigned. Was he in the minority in wanting Foran out or was he admitting joint responsibility for a poor appointment in the first place. I guess we'll never know.

You are probably right on both counts. Probably the only one left with any football knowledge after Donnie Fraser's passing.  We continually seem to get rid of the wrong people 

14 minutes ago, caley100 said:

Just to add.. 

Wonder if he resigned in protest at the chairman's reluctance to rectify the managerial crisis?

I can see a power struggle coming.....   ' There maybe trouble ahead.'

Yes to both 

16 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Unless----the relegation of ICT will necessitate the injection of funds into the club from the directors? ---- :blink: 

"Ulp--didn't think of that when I joined the board, don't you know ! "

Since Allied Surveyors has been one of the main club sponsors over last few years doubt that will be the reason.

11 hours ago, Fraz said:

Meh. I don't think this will make any difference one way or another. 

I many ways no - but unfortunately he influences quite an influx of spondoolachs. His "mob" have kept us going and propped up our leap back following the last relegation. I seriously worry that we are the next Stain Midden.

1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

I many ways no - but unfortunately he influences quite an influx of spondoolachs. His "mob" have kept us going and propped up our leap back following the last relegation. I seriously worry that we are the next Stain Midden.

I realise that Muirfield Mills did input a quarter million and in return got a seat at the board. I've never heard of any of any repeat funding however.

Regardless, surely all that will happen is that Muirfield Mills will choose a replacement person as their entitlement to a board position will not have changed?

Consider that Smith has left at a very awkward time. To me that means that the Mills boys are putting all the pressure on the chairman and the rest of the board members. He will have the clout of the Mills boys well behind him. This is a mini revolution which will either mend or tear the club apart. Aint seen any of this since the joyous Orion v Tulloch days ? But the board do not have the calibre of Sutherland fighting their corner and the Mills Boys are definitely more savage !!

16 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Graeme Bennett may not have been everyone's cup of tea but he did seem to have an eye both for players and managers.

Hard to identify anyone at board level with that ability and footballing knowledge now.

Dunno about that, Grassa was the instigator for Brewster's second term here!   Players were mainly found by scouts and mainly S Marsella.

• Agree 1

For what it's worth, This is the split in the board that I referred to in another post. My understanding is that the Muirfield Mills were not happy with the ways things were going but did not have a majority on the board to change things. I think this is bad news for us unless this puts pressure on existing board members to up their game or resign.

I don't think it would be wise to get rid of them all at once but Kenny Cameron and the invisible Ken Thomson and any other Sutherland appointment need to go NOW. That could attract Mr Savage into the frame.

13 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

I don't think it would be wise to get rid of them all at once but Kenny Cameron and the invisible Ken Thomson and any other Sutherland appointment need to go NOW. That could attract Mr Savage into the frame.

The issue preventing Alan Savage being involved is Sutherland. Removal of those linked to him does not remove the basic stumbling block.

Turns out I wasn't entirely correct -

Richard Smith was no longer representing Muirfield Mills when he resigned. Alan McPhee as a member of the Muirfield Mills group took on that role when he joined the board. 

Richard Smith was kept on as a normal board member due to his business connections and obviously Allied Surveyors are one of our bigger sponsors.

6 minutes ago, Fraz said:

Turns out I wasn't entirely correct -

Richard Smith was no longer representing Muirfield Mills when he resigned. Alan McPhee as a member of the Muirfield Mills group took on that role when he joined the board. 

Richard Smith was kept on as a normal board member due to his business connections and obviously Allied Surveyors are one of our bigger sponsors.

At least they have been up until now.