FORAN OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CaleyMax

14 minutes ago, WYNESS101 said:

Paul Hartley would be first choice for the board since they interviewed him already

It doesn't work like that! But he would be a great candidate in the unlikely event that he wanted the job on the terms we can offer.

• Agree 2

Foran ain't going anywhere, say what you want about Richie but he ain't no quitter

I reckon he's already been told that he will be leading the team in the championship next season and that he probably knew before taking this job that relegation was a distinct possibility at the start of this campaign

A lot of folk were seething about the way Hughes left but I think Yogi had a good idea what was coming

Dougal

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, dougal said:

Foran ain't going anywhere, say what you want about Richie but he ain't no quitter

I reckon he's already been told that he will be leading the team in the championship next season and that he probably knew before taking this job that relegation was a distinct possibility at the start of this campaign

A lot of folk were seething about the way Hughes left but I think Yogi had a good idea what was coming

Dougal

There is no way Richie will be in charge next season. If he was i would dread to see the amount of season tickets sales that would be lost.  

• Agree 1

On 29/04/2017 at 5:16 PM, Yngwie said:

I'm astonished at the number of fans saying this recently. We were all delighted when those potential moves were knocked back, we are all sick of our biggest assets being pinched on the cheap by rival clubs. We'd all have been raging if we'd lost those 2 at those times.

It's the benefit of hindsight. At the time I was delighted that the board had stood up and held on to a couple of prize assets. 

Eighteen months later and we've lost one for nothing and had to pay to get rid of the other, so it's not hard to see why people think we should have cashed in at the time. 

• Agree 2

Paul Hartley build two or three Alloa teams on a shoestring and when he left was only just outside the play-off promotion places (IIRC) which is no small feat for a part time team.  He did get Dundee promoted but they were already doing well anyway and while he rebuilt their team once again, it could be argued he underachieved in the Premiership.  I think the stuff about him refusing to move north was just an urban myth.  He might not be the best candidate in the running should the job come up, but he'd certainly be better than the incumbent. 

That leads me onto another potential candidate.  Seemingly when Hughes got the job, it was very much between him and not Paul Hartley, but Paul Telfer.  Now he would be an intriguing candidate.  A distinguished playing career all over Britain and was apparently manager in everything but name of Sutton United.  He'd surely have contacts and knowledge of players all around the English lower leagues and that market has certainly served us well in the past.  He's also coached in America and there could well be players around there that could interest us.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

Butcher ...no! .......Never.   The way he handled himself, both before and after, his departure reeked of "lack of class and appreciation for his paymaster, ICT"  His thoughts were not counselled, thoughtful and mature but  more like those of  "The Donald"  than anyone else I can think of.   Sitting with the Hibs Board at our game at Easter Road was crass and showed how much he had gone behind our backs to secure his new position, how chuffed he was at himself and how little he really cared for ICT, The Board and the fans. 

Hughes--yes, but with strings attached, mostly financial ones. And a contract that makes darn sure he never is allowed to call the shots against the Board and the club in like manner as to what happened  "last time". The Board should have had  his contract prepared by a very good and astute Lawyer who trusts nobody ! Let's face it people make mistakes and can be forgiven but if it happens again and you are not prepared and forewarned then that's your fault, not his.

I think John Hughes would  come back, chastened, and fully understand that he is no longer young and that he is not as sought after as he thought he was ? Will it happen?  Doubtful at best. Richie will stay because he has a family and has started to build a house unless he is financially very well off. Lastly does he have the pull at this time to fix the problem?

However, the truth appears to be that, frankly, none of us know what financial penalties will befall the club to achieve that position. So,  I don't envy the situation left to the Chairman and members  of the current Board of Directors at this crucial juncture of our season.

I can not for the life of me work out why Foran is still in a job to be given the title of worst manager in British football why will the Board not sack him? they sacked Brewster when he was not delivering the goods but things are much worse now than they were then so why wont they sack him? I dont believe for a minute theres no money and the money they made with the cup run and sale of Ryan Christie has all gone theres more to this than we know about. Any respect i had for Foran as a player is gone for his arrogance at not quitting when its clear to everyone but him and the chairman its a disaster he will still have his expensive motor and his holiday in the sun when poor staff at the club may loose their jobs. The appointment of Malpas was nothing other than to shut the fans up after Dundee were seeing to be trying to stay in the league and sacked Hartley why if Malpas was brought back to help with much needed coaching was he sat in the stand on friday night?  Mistakes were made last year lots of them firstly appointing Foran as manager (the cheap and easy option) secondly getting rid of Deano he was and is a far better goalkeeper the OFW but we know that decision was all about the money the club get from international call ups how OFW does get called up is bemusing thirdly making Warren captain sorry he is a liabilty not a player who leads by example he is a red card in the waiting every game Fourthly giving Vigurs a 2 year contract look how much better he played when he was on a short contract this year he has been lazy and slow nothing to bother for he now has his 2 year deal I could go on with the rest of mistakes there has been plenty of them CC was right the writing was on the wall years ago hence why the likes of Shinnie and Watkins got out quick enough cant say i blame them im sure we will see Tansey back to his best at Aberdeen with good coaching and facilities i for one wish him all the best i cant stand Aberdeen but if i was offered the same job for 3 times the money i would not have to think long about that one. Until Foran is replaced as manager me and my family will not be buying ST because were in for more of the same next year or worse because i bet nothing has been done about signing players for next season until its confirmed where we all know were going to be so you can bet were in for signing some unwanted dross/injury prone players. 

• Agree 6

7 hours ago, jenni stirling said:

I dont believe for a minute theres no money and the money they made with the cup run and sale of Ryan Christie has all gone theres more to this than we know about.

On the Fans ownership thread elsewhere I posted about the club's annual accounts. In that post It's clear that they are easy to find/download. We've accumulated well over £3m of losses since 1994 and the people who have invested almost £4m in shares are unlikely to see any of their £ again, not because they don't want the money back but because the vast majority of the money has gone over the years in keeping the club alive. It relies on windfalls like Christie. I'm not an insider, I'm just reading the publicly available accounts. Given we made a £1m loss in the year following the last relegation, we could be staring down the barrel of an insolvency event (and all that that entails) in the next one/two years unless the board are ruthless with spend or we get a significant benefactor ... and that's even if we keep fans / ST-holders coming along. Goodness knows it's hard viewing just now but, plain and straight, I truly believe that our decisions as supporters over the next few months will come down to whether we want to see our club die or not. 

Edited by cif73
  • Agree 2

I can remember almost every second poster on this forum wanting JH out and RF in, so KC gave them what they wanted, he sacked JH and appointed the cheaper and less demanding option RF and filmed pre season interviews in which we were told that the old boring style of play would be gone and a new exciting brand of play would have the fans off their seats. Of course it was all nonsense, I said so at the time and whilst KC didn't expect RF to win anything I doubt he expected the whole thing to blow up quite so spectacularly. That the ICT support could call for the sacking of the man who brought us the SC, a third place finish in the league and European football for the first time is beyond understanding. As Charlie Christie  said last Friday "they should have erected a statue in his honour", yet some people will still not give JH the praise he deserves and still hoped against hope that their hero RF could turn things around when it was painfully obvious he was completely out of his depth with less than half the season gone.

A famous financial commentator once said (I think it was Melken) that "the people deserve what they get and they deserve to get it good and hard" Pride comes before a fall right enough, perhaps those same supporters ludicrous expectations might cool down in the championship. For my own part, I have set my expectations quite low, I expect another relegation should the current board and RF remain in charge.

• Agree 5

50 minutes ago, wynthank15 said:

I can remember almost every second poster on this forum wanting JH out and RF in, so KC gave them what they wanted, he sacked JH and appointed the cheaper and less demanding option RF and filmed pre season interviews in which we were told that the old boring style of play would be gone and a new exciting brand of play would have the fans off their seats. Of course it was all nonsense, I said so at the time and whilst KC didn't expect RF to win anything I doubt he expected the whole thing to blow up quite so spectacularly. That the ICT support could call for the sacking of the man who brought us the SC, a third place finish in the league and European football for the first time is beyond understanding. As Charlie Christie  said last Friday "they should have erected a statue in his honour", yet some people will still not give JH the praise he deserves and still hoped against hope that their hero RF could turn things around when it was painfully obvious he was completely out of his depth with less than half the season gone.

A famous financial commentator once said (I think it was Melken) that "the people deserve what they get and they deserve to get it good and hard" Pride comes before a fall right enough, perhaps those same supporters ludicrous expectations might cool down in the championship. For my own part, I have set my expectations quite low, I expect another relegation should the current board and RF remain in charge.

Really? Let's take a look at what you said just before Hughes left and Foran came in.

On 19/05/2016 at 9:58 PM, wynthank15 said:

There are mutterings that Stubbs will walk away from Hibs if they lose the cup final perhaps JH sees an opportunity. Have mixed feelings about JH leaving perhaps the loss of Storey was the final straw as I know he wanted to keep him and Tansey as a priority. There is no doubt he has changed our style of play which actually gives us a fair amount of control when we are ahead in games doesn't work so well when we are behind.  Whomever the next manager is I would be delighted if he used the terms we and us when talking about the club rather than the third person Inverness which was used by both Butcher and Hughes when referring to their own team suggesting somehow that they were detached from the club. My biggest concern at the moment is where do we find a striker for next season.  

Hmm, so far it looks like you're pretty non plussed about Hughes leaving recognising that his style of play has it's limitations. Nothing obviously at this stage of anything suggesting that you had called out the new exciting brand of football as nonsense.

On 31/05/2016 at 0:44 AM, wynthank15 said:

Not wishing to rain on the Foran supporters parade but I worry about his appointment whilst wishing him well, management is not something you just step into and do well it takes years of experience to become a good manager in any walk of life. Charlie Christie was one of our truly great players and filled almost every role at the club but when it came to managing the football team it was by his own admission beyond him, same goes for Brewster when he was no longer a player. Be careful what you wish for. JH was an experienced manager and knew how to set up a team even when injuries restricted his choices, his problem was that he couldn't get/keep the quality up front to top off what he was teaching our defenders and midfielders. I truly fear for Foran and the club when things start to go pear shaped he needs an experienced no 2 at a minimum. Okay you can start hitting me with red dots now.

Some pretty fair comments here, reservations about the lack of experience which was echoed by a number of ICT fans on here at the time and, with hindsight, a very accurate comment about needing an experienced number two. Still nothing about calling out the style of play as rubbish.

On 03/06/2016 at 0:13 AM, wynthank15 said:

I have serious reservations but wish him all the best and Scotty, Brewsters best spell with us was when he could come onto the pitch and make a difference for 20 mins, as a manager the second time round he got us relegated.

Again, repeating the reservations concerning lack of experience but again nothing about calling out the new style of football as you claim.

On 04/06/2016 at 7:10 PM, wynthank15 said:

Taking your badges is like passing your exams for any other occupation it does not prepare you for the nuts and bolts of being a manager in any walk of life. I want this appointment to succeed but have grave doubts. As to RF being as long standing as Steve Patterson I hope he is, Patterson could build a team, recognized a player when he saw one and played an exciting brand of football, in fact,if Patterson had the appetite for it I would have invited him back everyone deserves a second chance and you don't lose Patterson's abilities with age. Here's wishing RF well I really hope it works out for him and the club.

More doubts but ultimately comments hoping that Foran does well. I sense a pattern here.

On 09/08/2016 at 10:01 PM, wynthank15 said:

Foran is not Hughes, about 20 years of management experience separates them. Your badges are what you get when learning the rudiments of your profession, just like a lawyer or accountant, real life experience as we all know is different. I made this point previously when a majority appeared to be constantly slagging Hughes efforts, when, despite crippling injuries he managed to garner points with an under strength side.  I wish Foran every good wish in his first season, I believe the squad should be good enough for a mid table finish, it will be the making or breaking of him.

This is the last post of yours I could find close enough to the time of Forans appointment which talked about your thoughts on him taking charge. Yet again, no comments whatsoever about the style of play and indeed you thought we might even get into the top six! That's definitely setting your expectations quite low especially given your concerns about his lack of experience...

You almost seem pleased that Foran has failed so you can tell everyone "I told you so!" yet it's also clear that some of the bold claims you are making now about being some kind of prophecy regarding calling out the style of football that was going to be on show are a load of bollocks.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

So here we are 4 days after an excruciating and catastrophic defeat that put all that went before it in the dark and Foran has still not had the courage to hold his hands up and resign. That would be the respectful thing to do - he might even leave with a morsel of respect, although maybe he's too late even for that.

In the meantime, his employers have evaporated from the planet. Too scared or financially incapable of doing anything to save the club.

So, Foran is really never going to resign or to be sacked. Every day, I wake up hoping that brave decisions might have been made. It seems I am as delusional as the club and management. Sad.

• Agree 1

RIG I certainly did not want RF to fail but given his complete lack of experience it was always a strong possibility. The squad should have been good enough for a mid table finish and frankly with JH in charge there is no way we would be relegated. I was never against JH's style of play, it was brave of him to impose it on the players and after some early hiccups it worked even after he had lost his three best players. The claims made by RF pre season in the Q&A session about the style HIS team would play never materialised, the current team has no style, structure or shape. I'm not too sure what point you are trying to make or why you bothered to trawl through my past comments.

14 minutes ago, wynthank15 said:

RIG I certainly did not want RF to fail but given his complete lack of experience it was always a strong possibility. The squad should have been good enough for a mid table finish and frankly with JH in charge there is no way we would be relegated. I was never against JH's style of play, it was brave of him to impose it on the players and after some early hiccups it worked even after he had lost his three best players. The claims made by RF pre season in the Q&A session about the style HIS team would play never materialised, the current team has no style, structure or shape. I'm not too sure what point you are trying to make or why you bothered to trawl through my past comments.

The point is that your bold claims about being some kind of soothsayer who foresaw this demise and rubbished claims of our new style of play at the time are simply garbage.

I don't disagree that if Hughes was still in charge we probably wouldn't be on the cusp of being relegated however his time at the club was clearly at an end for reasons that have been discussed to death on this forum and he had to go. What he did with us was fantastic, taking a team we all thought was at its peak under Butcher and somehow got them playing even better. It was incredible. But after players started leaving, Hughes yet again showed his failings in the transfer market and couldn't replace those who left.

Foran was clearly the cheap option but given the club have let Hughes spunk a mental amount of cash on the squad, gave him a new contract and then had to pay him off (and some allege are still paying him now), I am not sure what folk expected the club to do?

That said I do think that the board should have acted back in January or whenever it was that we lost to Hamilton and, as much as I love Foran, sent him packing. It was clear by this point his tactical setups and team selections were questionable and we were already sliding down a very slippery slope.

The fact is, blame can be apportioned on all parties here. Hughes for leaving a bloated, unbalanced squad in need of a serious overhaul with little cash for the incoming coach to work with, Foran for his largely poor signings, questionable selections and odd tactical setups and the board for sitting back and allowing this mess to develop.

• Agree 6

Hughes wasn't hounded out by fans, nor was Foran demanded by them. They accepted the decisions that were made, without being party to them, and hoped for the best. By Christmas they could see the potential disaster  Had the board acted then, we might be comfortably mid table. The loyalty to Foran has been horribly misplaced and allowed him to get away with murder.

• Agree 9

Could people read through the post 5-1 Tynecastle thread. Is it not condemning that nearly everything that was raised in that aftermath has come true ?!! And that was long before Xmas.

To me the problem with Hughes was that a lot of the fans wanted entertainment as well as survival. The Board and Hughes were at daggers for months. I feel that he basically said that he could not take the club any further without extra financial resources. That totally frustrated him so he set up a system to survive. To be fair the board may not have had the resources to fuel his ambitions. After Butcher and Hughes I also feel that the Board opted for what they thought would be the easy option. I also feel that, like Foran, thay all thought that we would scrape through this season.

If Foran was going to go he would have gone by now. The Board will stick by Foran now. He has admitted his greenness. The blame is and will be stuck on the players. It really is a sad,sad state of affairs.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, wynthank15 said:

The squad should have been good enough for a mid table finish and frankly with JH in charge there is no way we would be relegated. I was never against JH's style of play, it was brave of him to impose it on the players and after some early hiccups it worked even after he had lost his three best players.

Hughes had us playing some pretty turgid football last season. Relegation was a possibility up until we found some form after the split, I think our run of results post split put a bit of a gloss on last season. 

Our inability to defend cross balls is something that we inherited from Hughes - even in the cup winning season the number of goals we lost from either crosses, or the second ball in after clearing a corner was frightening. 

Hughes inability to spot players was a weakness too - and just how many midfielders does one club need to sign?

Having said all that, if Hughes wasn't the answer, Foran definitely isn't. All he has managed to do is polish the turd that Hughes left behind into a nice shiny relegation!

• Agree 4

I travelled to the Stirling game and the Cowdenbeath game pre-season and for me it was very worrying to watch. I turned to my Girlfriend and said "I think we are going to struggle this season." and boy was I understating that.

I very much doubt Butcher returning would cause a magical return to the SPFL like when he first took charge. If Richie called it a day and left I think it would have to be a totally new manager not one of our previous ones.

What concerns me more is what cif73 is saying, I dont want to see Caley Thistle die after only 23 years but thats another topic.

(also my first post , please go easy. dinnae skelp me lol)

Edited by Matthew Ward
mistake in sentence.
  • Agree 3

On 30/04/2017 at 9:04 PM, dougal said:

Dougal

Not a quitter hes a fraud picked up a wage and hardly kicked a ball for years! Relagation wasnt a possibility till he came in fcuk nos why people make excuses for him the worst manager in spl history surely

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1