Lewis Horner

Renegade

37 minutes ago, Renegade said:

Caught betting on football, including an accumulator where he had Caley Thistle to lose.

Where does it say in the press release he was betting on us to lose? 

2 hours ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

Not many of us understand addictions so it would be inappropriate to comment. 

I can only partly agree. Gambling can be an addiction and those afflicted deserve sympathy and support. However, nobody is addicted to wagering on their own team to lose. That is letting down your employers, your colleagues and the fans for no other motive than personal greed which is unacceptable and unforgivable.

• Agree 4

I will stay out of the ethics or morality debate and just say this ......... to be fair ... only the most rose-tinted of glasses wearers would bet on us to win this year .... !!!

• Agree 9

Scottish football's three major competitions all being sponsored by bookies is kind of like waving a double whisky beneath the nose of an alcoholic. It has been clear for some time that betting is endemic within football and its following to the extent that it has long since developed into the problem described. So what do the governing bodies do? Have bookies as their three main competition sponsors. Clearly these bookies are sufficiently cynical to identify a series of cheap sponsorship deals which, on the other hand, carry a disproportionate market exposure for them with this kind of access.

Without scruple, they exploit this to the absolute maximum and with as little regard for the wreckable lives they are getting a cheap hotline into as they have for how many shops they open in poor and vulnerable areas like the Merkinch. If you are in any doubt about what a sinister influence bookmakers are, drop into the Merkinch charity For The Right Reasons in Grant Street and speak to Richard Burkitt.

• Agree 10

9 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Scottish football's three major competitions all being sponsored by bookies is kind of like waving a double whisky beneath the nose of an alcoholic. It has been clear for some time that betting is endemic within football and its following to the extent that it has long since developed into the problem described. So what do the governing bodies do? Have bookies as their three main competition sponsors. Clearly these bookies are sufficiently cynical to identify a series of cheap sponsorship deals which, on the other hand, carry a disproportionate market exposure for them with this kind of access.

Without scruple, they exploit this to the absolute maximum and with as little regard for the wreckable lives they are getting a cheap hotline into as they have for how many shops they open in poor and vulnerable areas like the Merkinch. If you are in any doubt about what a sinister influence bookmakers are, drop into the Merkinch charity For The Right Reasons in Grant Street and speak to Richard Burkitt.

So very true and I am sure that the football authorities would prefer to have other sponsors but our game has been so poorly and incompetently administered and marketed for years and years that companies are hardly falling over themselves in their rush to have their corporate identities attached to and associated with it. Accordingly, when the bookies offer their tarnished cash it is greedily grabbed with both hands.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 1

He needs help with his addiction as its a horrible place to be in but if the speculation is true about betting against his own team, he has no sympathy from me. He'll be getting realeased  in the summer anyway. He hasn't offered anything to the football club. David Raven is a far superior right back. One of the many poor signings John Hughes made

Addiction - yes, terrible but he can overcome it with help.

Betting against ICT - No matter how poor we have been, that is unprofessional and will probably be what he is remembered for.

His contribution - he is at best an average squad player, will be released shortly and will not be given a second thought. 

Lastly, maybe I'm cynical but funny how people become an addict when they are caught!

Edited by Guest

Whether or not reports that Horner bet on Caley Thistle losing are accurate, I couldn't say. But anyone who does bet on a team losing a match and is playing in it for that team is de facto guilty of match fixing. Can anyone, for instance, be certain that the player will not undercook a tackle which may influence the scoring of the losing goal or send a sitter marginally over the bar?

On 5/9/2017 at 8:18 PM, Scotty said:

I will stay out of the ethics or morality debate and just say this ......... to be fair ... only the most rose-tinted of glasses wearers would bet on us to win this year .... !!!

Not necessarily.

An outside bet has much higher odds, I understand.

There was an article on Lewis in yesterday's Metro free paper and how Richie has offered to help him deal with his addiction. Unfrtunately, just below this article were two ads for betting companies including Paddy Power. How ironic.

• Agree 2