Dundee v ICT (must win game)

tm4tj

I've been a big critic of his, but Vigurs had an excellent game last night.  As mentioned above though, Henri Anier was absolutely abysmal.  If we were relegated to the Highland League and he offered to play for free I wouldn't retain him.

We've obtained more of our points this season from games v Dundee than from any other team.

7 - Dundee

5 - Hamilton 

3 - Killie, St J, Rangers, Well (+ Saturday to come)

2 - Partick, Hearts, 

1 - County, Aberdeen, Celtic

Getting pretty miffed with the Anier abuse on this board. The guy hasn't set the heather alight, but he's by no means the awful player some fellow posters are making him out to be. Against Hamilton I thought he was one of the best players on the park. His work rate, defensive covering, supporting runs, strong hold up play under pressure and beautifully weighted through balls to our front men all went completely unnoticed by the mouth breathers who immediately screeched "Get him off!!!" any time he had a bad touch. His goals to game tally is poor, and he isn't a natural striker IMO - but to say he has no footballing ability is absolute nonsense. I honestly believe half the people who attend football matches and post on forums have never played the game before, even at pub level.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

2 hours ago, AlexJones said:

Getting pretty miffed with the Anier abuse on this board. The guy hasn't set the heather alight, but he's by no means the awful player some fellow posters are making him out to be. Against Hamilton I thought he was one of the best players on the park. His work rate, defensive covering, supporting runs, strong hold up play under pressure and beautifully weighted through balls to our front men all went completely unnoticed by the mouth breathers who immediately screeched "Get him off!!!" any time he had a bad touch. His goals to game tally is poor, and he isn't a natural striker IMO - but to say he has no footballing ability is absolute nonsense. I honestly believe half the people who attend football matches and post on forums have never played the game before, even at pub level.

Anier - he isn't the worst, he isn't the best, he's a 'journeyman' same as the likes of Horner and will never set the heather alight. He does seem to be keen to get fouled as opposed to being good/confident enough to take opposing players on. 

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, AlexJones said:

in a game where the starting 11 were easily at 7+ he was a 4.  the point of a substitution is to provide fresh legs when replacing like for like.  he didnt apply himself in the same was as fisher had, as billy mc had, even Polly and Vigz appeared to be working harder than him. He never once jumped to try and win a header.  not making any generalisations about his play, but on wednesday night, he was awful.

• Agree 1

Sorry about the late post but been working flat out. Luckily I was in Perth on Wednesday and Thursday so a nervous journey along the A90 turned in to the best away day I've had since the 3-0 at Dingwall last season.

The fans were fantastic from well before kick off, probably the most vocal and supportive other than the cup semis and finals, even giving Foran support when he came out.

Even before Mckay's early goal, he was unlucky a charge down just went wide, and to get a quick second was brilliant. The team then kept their composure, created a number of decent chances, and kept possession better than in recent times.

For my money, the best 90 minute performance I have witnessed this season.

Esson was steady, Mckay did well at right back, with Raven very good at left back, also adding cover to Warren and Laing at times. Warren and Laing bossed central defence. In midfield, Vigurs was immense, perhaps a bit lucky to just be booked, but had composure, urgency and passion. Draper was back to his old self. Tansey was up for it. Polworth had some good moments, whilst also covering Raven regularly. Fisher worked hard and took his goal well, but was out on his feet by the time he was subbed. Mckay took his goal well, pressed the Dundee defence and was probably also tiring when subbed.

I thought Anier worked hard and put himself about, but he is not Mckay class, whilst McNaughton and McCart were put on to ensure we kept out Dundee late on.

The players were all up for it, the crowd was fantastic.

We need the same team and a large noisy support tomorrow. It's still a long shot, but at least we have a chance, however remote.

Its my wife's birthday tomorrow and I was originally not going. She is now having lunch with her sister and I am now going.

Wednesday was a great night, can we do the impossible? I don't know, but I will be backing the guys 100% regardless of what happens.

If it does not go our way tomorrow, let's give the players a long standing ovation at the end. If many leave, they leave us memories of several seasons none of us dared dream about. Two finals, one cup win, three top six finishes, a trip to Europe.

They deserve our appreciation!

Come on Caley Thistle!!

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 10

1 minute ago, The Long Man said:

The least we can ask is if we do go down, we go down fighting and showing what we are made of. C'mon the boys, C'mon Dundee.

Definitely.

C'mon the fans also, be the 12th man!!

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic