Who should we keep, who should we punt?

SMEE

Here's an interesting warning in the Herald Sport from Graeme Shinnie about throwing the wrong ballast over board  'Armstrong has been one of the form players in the country this season and if he performs as he has both domestically and in Europe, as well as for Scotland on his international debut back in March, his side will be difficult to beat.

The 25-year-old’s resurgence after a difficult season and a half hasn’t come as a great surprise to Shinnie, who first came across him when he was coming through the youth ranks at Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

But the rise to prominence of a player who is reportedly interesting several Barclays Premier League clubs in England has also underlined to him how badly the Highland club blundered by letting him go.

“Stuart was at Inverness at the same time as me,” he said. “He was coming through in the U17s when I was in the U19s.

“Caley actually released him because they needed to cut money after being relegated – which was a major mistake on their part. They will be kicking themselves for that.

“You could see back then that he had a lot of potential, but the decision was financial because of what happened. '

• Agree 3

We also had Jonny Hayes at the time we had Mackay-Steven on trial.

According to the Express report about Foran today, Boden and Mulreany are free to find other clubs.  If those are two of the bad apples then questions need to be asked about the recruitment - Foran signed both players on relatively long-term deals.  He's also brought Mulreany back into the side recently and he's actually shown a bit of promise.

13 minutes ago, ictchris said:

We also had Jonny Hayes at the time we had Mackay-Steven on trial.

According to the Express report about Foran today, Boden and Mulreany are free to find other clubs.  If those are two of the bad apples then questions need to be asked about the recruitment - Foran signed both players on relatively long-term deals.  He's also brought Mulreany back into the side recently and he's actually shown a bit of promise.

Ludicrous if Mulraney is being let go - would suprise me as would the club have used him for the launch of the new tops? I know he's been a bit 'pace but no final ball', but he is a young player with lots to learn - a decent prospect. Boden..not too fussed one way or another. 

Makes you wonder who'll be left in the squad if we are shunting out players on long contracts?

Rather Foran left, to be honest..

• Agree 4

Armstrong was indeed let go because of relegation - we didn't field an u20 team (or whatever the equivalent was called then) when we were in the first division, so Armstrong was one of a lost generation. Regrettable! I assume that similar considerations are being made right now for next season - hopefully there is a realisation that youth is the most cost-effective option for filling holes in the first team squad.

as for Bowden and Mulraney - I'm not surprised on either count, but I think Mulraney could tear up the championship. I think it was against Dunfermline this season that he was unplayable. Unfortunately, it seems that Foran is still making the decisions. He should have been relieved of any role in decision making, given his track record over the season. The worst apple is still at the club and must be removed immediately.

• Agree 4

32 minutes ago, PerfICT said:

Armstrong was indeed let go because of relegation - we didn't field an u20 team (or whatever the equivalent was called then) when we were in the first division, so Armstrong was one of a lost generation. Regrettable! I assume that similar considerations are being made right now for next season - hopefully there is a realisation that youth is the most cost-effective option for filling holes in the first team squad.

as for Bowden and Mulraney - I'm not surprised on either count, but I think Mulraney could tear up the championship. I think it was against Dunfermline this season that he was unplayable. Unfortunately, it seems that Foran is still making the decisions. He should have been relieved of any role in decision making, given his track record over the season. The worst apple is still at the club and must be removed immediately.

Absolutely!! More of a bag of rotten tomatoes than a bad apple...

I reckon Mulraney may have a big part to play in the team yet..as for Boden, who knows - finances may dictate we have to rely on him, maybe he will come good with regular game time..don't think he is particularly hard working though.

You never know, can remember Rooney coming good in the championship & even Denzil Wyness wasn't much use when we 1st had him...think that's wishful thinking though, comparing Boden to those two...

On 23/05/2017 at 9:48 PM, Caman said:

Wonder if any of the three (possibly five) Ross County players released are potential recruits?

Paul Quinn probably the best of the bunch as he is a decent enough defender. 

I actually thought that to Quinn would defo do a job so I think would the boy woods! Depends who stays with us and finances but if they got us out of championship soon be forgotten they were county cast offs

55 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

What does 'Rest released' mean? And yes I know we haven't got a player called Rest.

I'm taking it to mean anyone out of contract, on loan until the end of the season etc. has been let go.

25 minutes ago, Div1309 said:

i would say there is loy and leahy from dundee and falkirk but also shankland from the dons that we could go after. all out of contract as far as i am aware.

I think Leahy is planning on going to a club in a league better than the Championship.  Loy did very little at Dundee.  Shankland might have potential but seems to have problems with weight and fitness apparently.

Our best players always leave after making a name for themselves, it's part and parcel of being a small club. If anything the 'constant rebuilding job' has worked in our favour over the years as there's plenty of talent out there just waiting for an opportunity.  

Love Meekings, would be over the moon if we could somehow keep him. He posted an instagram video from the physio room with Aaron Doran a few days ago so they are obv still hanging about the club, would that be the case if they had been released? Dunno...

Jake wasn't a bad apple so why is there such a major drama over him?? By all accounts he is a decent chap and figured quite prominently in Ritchies team during the run in. Imagine a fit Aaron and Jake on the wings, we would run riot next year in the Championship.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, RiG said:

So maybe Meekings isn't away just yet then :laugh:

If the out of contract players have not been spoken to, it is inevitable they will move on. Hopefully the club is speaking to those who want to stay and who can contribute, so possibly discussions have started with a Meekings?

Time will tell.