Who should we keep, who should we punt?

SMEE

Well, it's not really a surprise in that it would have been the signing of the century if a player plucked from amateur Sunday league football in Ireland had made it as a first team regular here, but it maybe is a surprise that he wasn't given longer to adapt and develop.

1 hour ago, jingsmonty said:

Who knows...think we have a decent back line anyway..McKay,Tremarco,Warren,Raven,McNaughton(perhaps)-not much cover there though..

Still would have liked Meekings & Laing...they are definetly a loss..

We need a striker...suprised Ebbe has gone!

Really the same back line that kept next to none clean sheets all season and were left chasing shadows at Hamilton and Ross county ,on the plus side at least you never mentioned OFW .

So as things stand our current team is (with everyone fit) - 

Fon Williams

Raven Warren Mckay Tremarco

Draper Vigurs

Doran Polworth Mulraney

Boden

Subs - Esson, McNaughton (?)...

No mention of Laing, Gilchrist or Andy MacRae.  I'd like to see the latter retained, he looks a good prospect.  That starting XI would probably challenge for the play offs but we need new bodies all over the pitch.

3 hours ago, Renegade said:

So as things stand our current team is (with everyone fit) - 

Fon Williams

Raven Warren Mckay Tremarco

Draper Vigurs

Doran Polworth Mulraney

Boden

Subs - Esson, McNaughton (?)...

No mention of Laing, Gilchrist or Andy MacRae.  I'd like to see the latter retained, he looks a good prospect.  That starting XI would probably challenge for the play offs but we need new bodies all over the pitch.

Yes I liked Laing. He seemed steady enough and would handle the Championship teams. 

Can't find him on Twitter. 

Maybe's he's on holiday with the Chairman?? 

Edited by Guest

14 hours ago, forresjags said:

Really the same back line that kept next to none clean sheets all season and were left chasing shadows at Hamilton and Ross county ,on the plus side at least you never mentioned OFW .

A large part of that was down to tactics & the midfield being bypassed - certainly against Hamilton, accies just ran right through the midfield. 

The players underachieved last season -there's no doubt about that & I'm heartened that they are motivated to stay & put that right.

It seems Josh Meekings wasn't offered a contract, which I find disappointing - maybe the thoughts were that his injury problems were an issue.

A great servant to tbe club:ictscarf:

Suprised that OFW hasn't left, didn't think playing in the Championship would help his chances of staying in the Welsh squad.

Also VERY suprised that Laing wasn't kept on - very decent player!

2 hours ago, jingsmonty said:

It seems Josh Meekings wasn't offered a contract, which I find disappointing - maybe the thoughts were that his injury problems were an issue.

Doubtful as it seems we are offering McNaughton a new deal. Hugely disappointing if that's the case, we already have plenty experience in defence and should be looking to get younger, fitter and more dynamic younger players in that we can build into a team with the longer term view of Premiership success in the future seasons - guys like Laing etc. I hope this doesn't come back next year in a more physically demanding and rough league where if he signs again ends up spending much of it out injured.

Was Laing really that good? I just thought he was okay. Had some good games but as ICTChris has pointed out in another thread he was also in the side for some of the utter pumpings and shambolic performances we witnessed.

12 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Doubtful as it seems we are offering McNaughton a new deal. Hugely disappointing if that's the case, we already have plenty experience in defence and should be looking to get younger, fitter and more dynamic younger players in that we can build into a team with the longer term view of Premiership success in the future seasons - guys like Laing etc. I hope this doesn't come back next year in a more physically demanding and rough league where if he signs again ends up spending much of it out injured.

I am more than happy that we are offering McNaughton a deal - he has had ONE (alebit long term) injury, whuch he managed to come back from earlier than expected. Unfair to label him as -injury prone'.

JM has had persistent knee injuries, I believe - maybe this is the reasoning? Didn't particularly want to lose JM & think the club haven't treated him well after 6 seasons of service though.

I'm all for dynamic younger players but we need experience in the centre of defence too - particularly without JM. McNaughton, with all his pkaying experience, fits that bill for me - personally, I think we are lucky to have him...maybe. Gary Warren, as much as I like him, think his legs are getting on a bit. A Warren/McNaughton centre-half partnership sounds good to me.

Real shame to lose Fisher after his goals at the end of the season, he could have been a huge asset in the championship. That being said, I think Boden could thrive next season. He banged in goals in league two which is at least the same standard as the championship, if not better. Towards the end of the season I saw him play and he looked a competent player, who could hold up the ball and link up play. We'll definitely need at least one other striker though. 

35 minutes ago, PerfICT said:

Yes, I wish Fisher well (excuse the pun!) Seriously, though, he was treated shockingly by Foran and yet gave everything he could when called upon. Respect!

Echo that sentiment - hopefully see him back here sometime

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, jingsmonty said:

Could see Josh Meekings heading along the A96, now that the Dons have lost Ash Taylor...

Wouldn't be shocked to see him heading over the bridge either..

Can't see an injury prone player will be of interest to either of these clubs unless on a pay as you play basis 

In amongst the Paul Sheerin story is some info on why Meekings was released. Apparently the club considered it unlikely that we could afford to keep him although they might try again over the summer.

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/Caley-Thistle-hold-preliminary-talks-with-Paul-Sheerin-over-managers-job-05062017.htm

1 hour ago, RiG said:

In amongst the Paul Sheerin story is some info on why Meekings was released. Apparently the club considered it unlikely that we could afford to keep him although they might try again over the summer.

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/Caley-Thistle-hold-preliminary-talks-with-Paul-Sheerin-over-managers-job-05062017.htm

That is terrible management.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Tbf I do feel that if Meekings had accepted his offer earlier in season he wouldnt be in this mess? 

I actually read that statement that with his injury record hes maybe too much of a risk for us aka too expensive? 

• Agree 1

Not enthralled with this to be honest. They have, between them, taken the club back fifteen years with last seasons antics and next season looks like we are preparing for another drop. I just don't understand why people are throwing money at the club through season ticket purchases when at the moment there is no product to buy. All seems a bit odd to me.

Who should we keep, who should we punt? It's not easy to answer given we have no manager at the moment. Pre-season turning into a joke.

No a happy bunny.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, old caley girl said:

Tbf I do feel that if Meekings had accepted his offer earlier in season he wouldnt be in this mess? 

I actually read that statement that with his injury record hes maybe too much of a risk for us aka too expensive? 

Probably, that makes sense.