New Manager

Pele_Is_God

It's not been mentioned here yet but I'd like to throw Russell Latapys name into the mix. 

Whilst he lacks managerial experience he was assistant during our most successful ever period. 

He also brings with him a wealth of international and big club experience as a player. 

He knows the club and the players already. He left in the search for a managers job. There's one available now. 

• Disagree 1

The same Latapy who apparently had a habit of going AWOL and when he did turn up was allegedly extremely lazy.  Amazing how some fans still cling onto this myth that he was some kind of coaching guru.

• Agree 1

Butcher (77 international caps) / Malpas (55 international caps) / Marsella for me. Despite a few vocal critics on this forum, in my experience about 80% of fans IRL would love to see the band to get back together.

Our biggest failing in recent years has been recruitment. Who better to sign the next Warren, Meekings, Raven, Mckay, Watkins, Vincent, Brill, Draper and Shinnie brothers than the lads who signed the originals?

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, AlexJones said:

Butcher (77 international caps) / Malpas (55 international caps) / Marsella for me. Despite a few vocal critics on this forum, in my experience about 80% of fans IRL would love to see the band to get back together.

Our biggest failing in recent years has been recruitment. Who better to sign the next Warren, Meekings, Raven, Mckay, Watkins, Vincent, Brill, Draper and Shinnie brothers than the lads who signed the originals?

:lol:

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Way off topic but how good does the development league setup look? One for another day. . .

Sheerin plus experience (Malpas) for me. 

Although Peanut plus Barry Wilson / Robson gives me the nostalgia tingles I cant ignore.............!!

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Arrigo Sacchi - zero caps

Alex Ferguson - zero caps

Jose Mourinho - zero caps

9 hours ago, finmack said:

Living in Dundee, I know a heck of a lot of Dundee fans, and halfway through the season they were calling for him to go.  and just towards the end hardly anyone had a good word for him.

As for not having Paul Hartley because some Dundee fans didn't like him, did they dislike him when he led them to promotion? Did they dislike him when he got them into the top six? Was he unpopular at Alloa when he got them promoted twice despite having no money to spend?

Arsene Wenger seems to be pretty unpopular at Arsenal these days. van Gaal left United under a cloud. Would we also turn them down because football fans are fickle?

Instead, we can have Paul Sheerin - was he popular with the fans when he relegated Brechin? Were they cheering Barry Wilson at Borough Briggs when Elgin lost time after time?

I wouldn't be against any of these but at least have some thought behind it.

• Agree 3

19 minutes ago, starchief said:

Instead, we can have Paul Sheerin - was he popular with the fans when he relegated Brechin?

Arbroath!  They certainly weren't cheering him when he drove drunk from Dundee to Perth in his club car. Lengthy ban served, but still a blot on his record.

7 hours ago, Yngwie said:

I was thinking the same, 9th is pretty poor. I know this league is more about development than results, but still, you'd think that with Aberdeen's large pool of talent, some good organisation, tactics, motivation etc from the coach would see them do a lot better than that.

They won it 2 years ago, I believe. 

Also read a paper touting Jimmy Calderwood - only one thing to say to that...NOOOOOOO!!!

Must look online and find out more about Paul Telfer...not someone I know anything about.

As for Russell Latapy - a guy who I definetly have a lot of time for (& sure was a big part of Yogi's success, initially), but not sure if he's the man. If he'd been 10-15 years younger, would havebeen a good player/manager! He left under strange circumstances - wasn't aware what he's done after he left us? Did he fall out with Yogi (not the first to, I wouldn't think!)?

Worth interviewing...

The club wouldn't bring Latapy back. His influence on the team was by many accounts, was minimal and his behaviour and lack of dedication was why he was removed from his position. There's absolutely no chance of the club considering him. 

Jimmy Calderwood seldom turned up when he was County manager. Not a nice man either. No thanks. We need a professional, not a dinosaur. 

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, AlexJones said:

Love it! Bring Terry, Maurice and Steve home! Our most successful team. They will the Caley great again. We'll be back

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 5

9 hours ago, ictbob said:

Butcher didn't cover himself in glory when he left but nobody can knock his signing.some are still here and maybe a bit wary about staying but under him I believea lot would stay.he seems to have the ability to get young talented players to come north which other managers don't have.Butcher all the way for me.

Yaaas! Another fan talking sense! 100% agree. Butcher and his team are the boys to take us back. 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 4

Back page of the P&J names Sheerin, Gus McPherson and Malpas as candidates. All uninspiring candidates, Sheerin had an up and down tenure.p with Arbroath and now coaches kids, Malpas has a poor managerial record on his own and Gus McPherson got his team relegated last time he managed at the level we are at.

If these are the sort of candidates we get then it suggests we're trying to do things on the cheap and haven't really planned for Foran leaving. Hopefully it's just a load of paper talk.

• Agree 2

I have no proof and cant be bothered to check but was Sheerin's initial success not as a player manager? I might be totally wrong. Apologies if so.

Having a experienced leader in the middle of the park can have a big impact in the lower leagues. Or even at a higher level...Brewster's first stint anyone?

It's at times like this that I wish football had something like the Representation of the People Act which operates to regulate comment on election matters and will, for instance, ban all political discussion on polling day. Random names of managerial "candidates" simply fly around the media like machine gun bullets and you do have to wonder about the basis on which they appear? Is the regular appearance of such and such a name based on any substance at all or is it all just part of a silly game that media play at times like this? Over many years, I've lost count of the number of club directors and chairmen who have told me about the waves of boardroom hilarity created by "revelations" such as "Johnny Smith is thought to be a contender". The principle seems to be that if you throw enough names about you may get lucky and be able to claim "you heard it here first folks". Nobody, after the event, ever seems to take stock of just how wrong about 95% of the speculation was.

I am strongly tempted to put it about that well known Dutch coach Ruud Boogers is the front runner, just to see what ensues. If it were Ross County, I would probably instead go with experienced Russian manager Igor Gudgikoff.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

The list of names is in general pretty uninspiring.

The number one is probably Hartley but that's not saying too much. Sacked by a team just about as bad as ours. Did well previously with Dundee but was that when they might have had a wee bit of money to spend?  We don't.

Butcher had his chance and chose to go onto bigger things. Or so he thought, so no thanks.

Paul Sheerin. Why? What has he possibly done to deserve a job here. Utterly ridiculous choice in my eyes and would be as big a disaster as Foran. Only being considered as he used to play here, you would have thought we would have moved on from that. 

Darren Dods. Don't know too much about him as a manager but   It appears that he's done a decent job at Brechin.

i know the Huddersfield manager came from Dortmund B and that's out of our reach clearly. But I wouldn't be against a left field young foreign manager who has a decent record at a lower level. There must be someone out there better than Jimmy 'says aye to a Killie pie' Calderwood.

• Agree 3

48 minutes ago, ictchris said:

Back page of the P&J names Sheerin, Gus McPherson and Malpas as candidates. All uninspiring candidates, Sheerin had an up and down tenure.p with Arbroath and now coaches kids, Malpas has a poor managerial record on his own and Gus McPherson got his team relegated last time he managed at the level we are at.

If these are the sort of candidates we get then it suggests we're trying to do things on the cheap and haven't really planned for Foran leaving. Hopefully it's just a load of paper talk.

I wouldn't be deterred from Gus McPherson by his one poor season with Queen of the South when placed against his several successful seasons at St Mirren including getting them out of the division we will be in next season and consistently keeping them in the top tier thereafter on a limited budget and also the success he's had with the amateurs at Queens Park.

Similarly, I would not be deterrred from Paul Hartley by one poor season with Dundee set against his success at Dens prior to that and, before that, what he managed on a tiny budget at Alloa.

15 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

It's at times like this that I wish football had something like the Representation of the People Act which operates to regulate comment on election matters and will, for instance, ban all political discussion on polling day. Random names of managerial "candidates" simply fly around the media like machine gun bullets and you do have to wonder about the basis on which they appear? Is the regular appearance of such and such a name based on any substance at all or is it all just part of a silly game that media play at times like this? Over many years, I've lost count of the number of club directors and chairmen who have told me about the waves of boardroom hilarity created by "revelations" such as "Johnny Smith is thought to be a contender". The principle seems to be that if you throw enough names about you may get lucky and be able to claim "you heard it here first folks". Nobody, after the event, ever seems to take stock of just how wrong about 95% of the speculation was.

I am strongly tempted to put it about that well known Dutch coach Ruud Boogers is the front runner, just to see what ensues. If it were Ross County, I would probably instead go with experienced Russian manager Igor Gudgikoff.

It's worse than politics CB but you are right in your post :smile: there have been some horrendous suggestions :ohmy: This is where we have to leave it to the board who most of the fans do not know from Adam to select a new manager and hope it will work out much better than the last time for our club :ictscarf:

12 minutes ago, IBM said:

It's worse than politics CB but you are right in your post :smile: there have been some horrendous suggestions :ohmy: This is where we have to leave it to the board who most of the fans do not know from Adam to select a new manager and hope it will work out much better than the last time for our club :ictscarf:

It's mostly worked out better, rather than worse - we'll just have to wait & see.

Paul Lambert has just left Wolves...and Claudio Ranieri is at a loose end just now, I believe.

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic