New Manager

Pele_Is_God

Could be absolutely anyone from anywhere. 

Even someone with knowledge of the Championship.

my random name pulled out of the air would be  Chris Smith the Hibs development coach. Knows the league, has seen plenty young players with potential and could pick up a few Hibees.

There's another development coach in England who has played for us but might be a bit too young for the job but could be a good number two for the above.

Will just have to wait and see who's actually interested in the vacancy.

Edited by 12th Man

Going by the Press and Journal, Sheerin is our first choice, while Malpas might be keen and Gus McPherson is also someone who might be of interest to the club.  The Arbroath fans on P&B seem to rate Sheerin quite highly and claim he played very exciting attacking football.  I've no idea what kind of football Malpas would play other than history suggests it wouldn't be very effective, while McPherson's St Mirren's only tactics seemed to be 90 minutes of hoofs up the park.  Sheerin appeals to me most out of all three, but even then I'm not exactly bowled over by any of them.

Edited by Renegade

44 minutes ago, Renegade said:

Going by the Press and Journal, Sheerin is our first choice, while Malpas might be keen and Gus McPherson is also someone who might be of interest to the club.  The Arbroath fans on P&B seem to rate Sheerin quite highly and claim he played very exciting attacking football.  I've no idea what kind of football Malpas would play other than history suggests it wouldn't be very effective, while McPherson's St Mirren's only tactics seemed to be 90 minutes of hoofs up the park.  Sheerin appeals to me most out of all three, but even then I'm not exactly bowled over by any of them.

I would take anything that the Aberdeen obsessed Press & Journal print about us with a pinch of salt. Their track record of accuracy on matters ICT is hardly glowing. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they simply lifted the speculation from this site.

• Agree 4

51 minutes ago, Renegade said:

The P & J's choices:

Sheerin - definetly worth considering. Wonder if the P&J have zoned in on him mainly because he is at the Dons..?

Gus McPherson - if we want a team of thugs who hoof it up the park (what I seem to remember of St Mirren under his tenure anyway) then yes. For me, definetly NO.

Malpas - good coach but abysmal management record. Can see him at the club as General Manager, or, less likely, a no.2 to the new gaffer.

Sure there are other, more inspired (and NOT any ex ICT managers, by the way..) choices out there!

I wouldn't mind a team of thugs who hoof it up the park to be honest, as long as we win.  I just don't think we would under McPherson.

I'm very wary of appointing youth coaches as first team coaches.  It's a completely different type of coaching, you are developing players in the under 20s, professional sport is about winning, we need to get a winner, someone who will give focus and drive and understand how to arrange the side to win games.  

Malpas isn't a number 1, I'd expect him to get the DoF/GM role.

Malpas has issued a "come and get me plea" according to today's P&J.

Hopefully the fact that he has to issue a plea means that we aren't considering him.  I do get the feeling that we didn't plan following the sacking of Foran and will probably end up appointing some useless jobber in a hurry.

• Agree 1

Was Paul Sheerin in charge at Arbroath when beat them 7-1 in pre-season friendly back in 2013? Seriously though, although he has had experience as a manager I think ICT might be a step too much for him unless he has the right assistant at his side. And I don't think Maurice would be that man somehow. I just hope we make the right choice in the end whatever the speculation may be.

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, ictchris said:

Malpas has issued a "come and get me plea" according to today's P&J.

Hopefully the fact that he has to issue a plea means that we aren't considering him.  I do get the feeling that we didn't plan following the sacking of Foran and will probably end up appointing some useless jobber in a hurry.

Decision making will have changed with a new Board combination. I still think there are key decisions on the retention of Brian Rice, Scott Kellaher and Duncan Shearer before the appointment of a new manager. Does Charlie want the job?

10 hours ago, Stirling Observer said:

I have no proof and cant be bothered to check but was Sheerin's initial success not as a player manager? I might be totally wrong. Apologies if so.

He was a first team regular throughout his 4 seasons there, racking up over 130 appearances in that time.

Arbroath are one of those yo-yo clubs. Too big for the 4th flight, not big enough for the 2nd. He took them from 4th to 3rd and then back down again. There's nothing in that record that suggests he is a particularly good manager.

I remember we played at Arbroath in that era and won 2-0, League Cup. Can't remember anything about how they played. (I do recall though that they had Tony Bullock in goals, and a sub called Banjo).

12 minutes ago, KennySim93 said:

Would we even be considering Sheerin if he hadn't played for the club?

I'm not even sure we are. These stories have probably just lifted names off this forum. It's surprisingly easy to get a made up rumour into the press.

So after months of toiling and indecisive action we eventually opt to part company with Foran, yet on the face of it seem to have no plan of action on who to bring in. At least Dundee have decided that Jack Ross is their target after McCann left - they seemed to have a plan. Its a worry that we will no spend weeks floundering around before opting for potential options who in many ways may not be much better than RF.

The new manager needs to be part of an overall change in structure, we have Rice, obviously its known there was friction between him and RF but we should have expected more on the park given his experience. We have Shearer & Kellacher who seem to be part of the furniture, yet neither want to or desire to step up in roles. Perhaps they have a place at the club still, but do we need to look at the whole structure including the development and youth teams where we struggle also and need to bring in new ideas and change things up - have we become stagnant as a club throughout.

23 minutes ago, RiG said:

I'm not even sure we are. These stories have probably just lifted names off this forum. It's surprisingly easy to get a made up rumour into the press.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sky-sports-fall-hilarious-prank-9577853   You will notice that Charlie Bannerman has tried it in reverse with Ruud Boogers!!!

• Agree 1

This is simply the most important appointment in the history of the club. The board have to get this right. I would of thought an approach for someone would have happened pretty quickly once the announcement of Forans departure was made. Surely some thought was put into a successor before Foran was punted. If not its a disgrace. We need a new manager in quickly so he can decide which players to keep and more importantly get players in. Next season is such an important one for the club. Get it right and it could galvanise the whole club and city. We have the foundations of a team there which could easily challenge for the title. All we need now is the right man to lead them.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Bronson said:

I understand that Henrik Larsson travel to Inverness following the celtic legends game at the weekend to express his interest in the position

Would be happy if true IMO

2 hours ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sky-sports-fall-hilarious-prank-9577853   You will notice that Charlie Bannerman has tried it in reverse with Ruud Boogers!!!

I always wish my life away until managerial vacancies are filled. All these days of plucking names randomly from anywhere, usually based on no concrete evidence whatsoever, are just a complete waste of time. I would just lock the directors in conclave in the boardroom until such time as they are able to tell Tommy to go and release some white smoke from the woodchip burner.

But I am still sticking with my original punt of well known Dutch coach Ruud Boogers.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Bronson said:

I understand that Henrik Larsson travel to Inverness following the celtic legends game at the weekend to express his interest in the position

Wow, what a boost he would be:ictscarf:

4 minutes ago, Roy Mackenzie said:

Does Terry Butcher still have his house in Abriachan? He would be my ideal pick.

I believe it was rented. 

6 hours ago, Bronson said:

I know you're fishing, but Larsson's record as a manager is really poor. 

I wish people would stop touting Butcher for the job - he's had his time & we need to look forward & leave previous managers out of it.

Think the GM/D of F post would have to be filled 1st, as wouldn't this have a bearing on the sort of manager/head coach we would be appointing?

No point hiring a manager who then falls out with the gm/d of f-or vice versa!!

• Agree 6

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic