New Manager

Pele_Is_God

11 minutes ago, ICTRoughi said:

http://bit.ly/2rFJit4

Looks like Sheerin the wanted man for the job, also article confirms Brian Rice in temporary charge - Jesus wept.

At least we know something & there must be 'something' about Sheerin if they are prepared to pay compensation for him - that's reassuring in a way because at least we are not going for the 'cheap option' & Sheerin is someone who the club are keen on appointing.

As someone else posted, glad it's not a clogger like Gus McPherson or Jimmy Calderwood.

As for Brian Rice running things in the meantime? I doubt that'll have much impact - shame we didn't think to appoint a proper general manager 1st that could have done this!

Looking on this forum at times makes me sad. For many there is an obsession that the club look back and take a former manager back who may have shown success in the lower leagues (Paterson, Robertson, some even Butcher) or that we have to get an ex-player. Foran was inexperienced but is Sheerin much better at this level given his lack of first team management plus the requirement for possible compensation - if he hadn't played for us would anyone be mentioning his name - while its good to try get someone out of Pittodrie rather than in, is he going to bring the success we want? Aberdeen for all their size and budget haven't exactly set the development league on fire.

• Agree 5
  • Disagree 1

Sheerin would be an underwhelming appointment but better than appointing some utter Scottish football jobber.

Coaching under 20s is different from being a manager, please remember that when discussing his record at Aberdeen if we appoint him.  He had a great start to his time at Arbroath, nearly taking them to successive promotions but fell away badly and got relegated.  He has no experience of managing full-time players.  He has spent the last twenty years in Scottish football, suggesting he'll focus on recruiting domestic players rather than casting the net wider the way we've done in the last few seasons.  

• Agree 2

41 minutes ago, ictchris said:

Sheerin would be an underwhelming appointment but better than appointing some utter Scottish football jobber.

Coaching under 20s is different from being a manager, please remember that when discussing his record at Aberdeen if we appoint him.  He had a great start to his time at Arbroath, nearly taking them to successive promotions but fell away badly and got relegated.  He has no experience of managing full-time players.  He has spent the last twenty years in Scottish football, suggesting he'll focus on recruiting domestic players rather than casting the net wider the way we've done in the last few seasons.  

Think whoever Sheerin would appoint as an assistant is crucial - he may have contacts down south (wasn't he at Southampton many years ago?), but I wouldn't be upset if we recruited more aspiring young players from closer to home - we've had sucess before with that type of recruitment (Wyness & Russel Duncan spring to mind). 

I think we WOULD have considered Sheerin if he hadn't been an ex-player, imho! Why not consider someone with coaching experience & managerial experience?

I think many of us on here are very unimpressed with what we are hearing from the media regarding the selection of our new manager

This is desperate times which imho calls for much more imaginative measures, there is a big wide world out there and out there I am sure there is an experienced dedicated person waiting for the opportunity to bring a club like ICTFC alive and gunning for glory.

As supporters we don't want to be languishing in the lower leagues we want to be where we should be battling for top three in the Premier league. This is not going to happen until such times as the whole setup realises what can be done given good leadership, more ambition and  the importance of acknowledgement to the supporters.

• Agree 3

22 minutes ago, Ten4 said:

Would we not be just as well of with Charlie Christe / Barry Wilson

Couldn't see CC wanting the job - although I thought he did a decent job when he was in charge.

Only experience BW had was at Elgin (as far as I'm aware), which wasn't a success. Maybe see him as general manager - he has had plenty to say about the club recently (which I didn't disagree with). Same goes for CC.

If Sheerin gets the job, can we stop the carping & just get behind him & the club please!!

Edited by jingsmonty
Typos in post

Jings Monty I usually am in agreement with most of your posts but in this instance I feel the Club needs to show more adventurism than this. I will be behind the Team but this is an opportunity to show some real progress within the Club and shouldn't be missed.

1 minute ago, bughtmaster said:

Jings Monty I usually am in agreement with most of your posts but in this instance I feel the Club needs to show more adventurism than this. I will be behind the Team but this is an opportunity to show some real progress within the Club and shouldn't be missed.

And where is the cash going to come from to fund this "adventurism"? Season ticket sales?

25 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

And where is the cash going to come from to fund this "adventurism"? Season ticket sales?

Not the fans problem. The board need to show some ambition and attract the necessary funding

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Charles Bannerman said:

I think we are normally a fairly docile and largely loyal support. The communication from the club since end of season has been shambolic and its about time the club woke up and smelled the coffee. The ball is in their court. They need to talk to fans and sort this. Starting with the rationale for a price increase and the walk up prices. Oh and a bit of a plan for the season ahead would be good as well? 

Edited by old caley girl
  • Agree 4

Agreed, the complete lack of reasonable communication together with the season ticket carry on is a complete shambles. The names that are cropping up as potential managers is nothing short of **** poor and not a single one makes me consider paying more than last season for my pair of season tickets.

I'm not saying people shouldn't have holidays but the more I keep reading about poor quality linked managers, Brian Rice organising the team, 'player recruitment' happening before appointing a new manager and the fact that half of our board are off on a jolly during one of the most critical times in our clubs history is really turning me off. Sort it out ICT.

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

I think we are normally a fairly docile and largely loyal support. The communication from the club since end of season has been shambolic and its about time the club woke up and smelled the coffee. The ball is in their court. They need to talk to fans and sort this. Starting with the rationale for a price increase and the walk up prices. Oh and a bit of a plan for the season ahead would be good as well? 

Agree entirely. The club are always short of cash and that will be even more the case next season but some things cost nothing or next to nothing and can make an enormous difference.

One of these things is communication and I don't mean a 'media team' volunteers or otherwise tweeting endless drivel but simple communication of facts and plans for the future to the fans, who are the life blood of the club and who have been treated very badly in that respect of late.

All that is required is for a single member of the board to be designated as communication director who's principal responsibility is to keep the paying customers in the loop. Some things will, of necessity, be commercially sensitive but there is much that can be shared that we are being utterly excluded from and, if they want us to continue to back them with our full support and hard earned cash then that must change.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, bughtmaster said:

Thank you for that!

I wouldn't disagree with you about showing more adventurism, guess I'm just trying to be realistic..

• Agree 1

Just checked the club Twitter there.  Not a single mention of the League Cup draw, the order of the fixtures that were sorted out today or any of the friendly matches that've been arranged.  Bizarre.

Edited by Renegade

Those demanding an 'ambitious' appointment should remember it wasn't so long ago a Highland League manager built a team consisting largely of former Highland League players and Senior league cast offs who held their own in the Premier League for years.

When's the last time we signed a talented young player from the Highland League? I'm not suggesting we should be overly sentimental about 'local lads', but seeing as we're about to embark on a rebuilding job, I would hope whoever is appointed doesn't overlook the untapped resources we have on our doorstep.

• Agree 1

I'd hazard a guess the last time we signed a Highland League player for the first team was when Charlie Christie brought Ally Ridgers in from Clach when Mark Brown went to Celtic and we missed out on bring Vito Mannone in on loan from Arsenal.

12 hours ago, jingsmonty said:

As someone else posted, glad it's not a clogger like Gus McPherson or Jimmy Calderwood.

Yeah, better to sign someone who has limited experience in managing a first team but, when he did, it ended in failure, rather than a manager with a track record of success.

As for not being a clogger, how do you know? You been watching Aberdeen Reserves lately?

All most of us know is that he got his only professional team relegated and once played for Inverness.

Ross County finished top of the Development League. Why not sign their manager? Or Partick Thistle's? Or Falkirk's? All of whom finished above Aberdeen (as did many others). It's because he once played for Inverness...as did Richie Foran.

I see no reason to be hopeful if this appointment is true.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

:sad:  :ohmy:  :blush:  :laugh:  :lol:  :crazy:

"Just gifted I guess" ? Cute humility there. Brilliant!  Another Canuck I presume with great presence of mind and a desire to please and get along without recrimiinations. Now that's why we are liked all over the world.

In short, a right down regular Canajin, in frae the sticks  and a wee bit exhausted by the efforts he put out in his canoe escaping frae they pesky  Injuns hollering in the woods "Come back, come back, we need you." 

O.K.  I might just be a twisted sister but at least the lad is trying to leaven up the  scene  which sooooo badly needs it the noo,

Renegade, old chap, go easy on the boy --you never know, he might be a 6'.4" inch lumberjack with muscles like Arnold used to have, who has come  up here from Washington State in the U.S.to  Vancouver, Canada looking for more logging work. These guys wrestle bears-- and I don't mean black bears who are always bigger than he is  and weigh a heckuva lot more, but the real, ornery, grizzly type. Them critters can run as fast as a racehorse! !That's right--you never knew that did you? And the type you never ever turn your back on and attempt to run away from. Just try to look inconspicuous, walk steadily backwards and hope and pray you don't fall over a tree which has previously fallen over the forest pathway. Going into the woods with a suit of 13th century best armour adorning your wee body does help to postpone the inevitable of course-for a few minutes perhaps. His claws are so big and strong that, for him, it's like ripping paper.

Oh well, it's back to the grindstone and our grief........next?:wave:

The thing that's worth remembering is that Dev League football is not about results, well, it shouldn't be anyway. It's about getting the Young uns regular competitive matches, employing tactics etc. It's arguable that those that finished mid-treble in the league were playing better football then Cunty at the top.

those of us who haven't watched the Dev league regularly should really reserve judgement.  There was a resounding support for Foran, and look where that wound up.

simple economics means that we can't go and get a high profile manager, so we really just have to deal with who we get, and hope that they are keen to build a career.  For this reason I'd rather stick with the 'limited experience' category.

Edited by ictfcsince94
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic