New Manager

Pele_Is_God

"Over the four years that we've had, they've had the best four years that they've had for a generation.

"I've had a wonderful time at this football club. My family have been absolutely terrific. I've got good people that have helped me ride that rollercoaster."

And Lennon emphasised his record of successfully bringing players like John McGinn and Kenny McLean into the first team.

"This season, we've now brought seven players through the academy," he added. "Five of them have played regularly, week in and week out. That is fantastic.

"When you're bringing kids through like that, results suffer every now and again while they're going through that learning curve."

Would love to see kids come through....

Once claimed having to come to Inverness to for a December fixture 'ruined his Christmas'. The fact he also has the charisma of a rusty bucket is also putting me off this appointment. 

14 minutes ago, Renegade said:

Michael Fraser in the Courier today makes some good points and then says he can't understand why John Robertson isn't getting linked with the job.  No, just no.

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/Ex-Caley-Thistle-stopper-Michael-Fraser-urges-end-to-delay-over-clubs-new-manager-12062017.htm

Always thought Fraser was a pretty decent goal keeper for us. According to Wiki he really didn't play that much of the course of his career. Seems a bit of a waste.

Two weeks since Foran departed, two and a half weeks until our first friendly, a little over four weeks until our first Bet Fred Cup match.  Numerous Championship sides are shuffling the pack with players being signed up all over the place.  Meanwhile we seem to be twiddling our thumbs, as per usual.  Whilst I appreciate that we need to make the right decision here, prolonged prevarication and a failure to bring a solitary player into a severely depleted squad is a recipe for disaster.  The lack of activity and general malaise within the club eluded to across the media is going to have a significantly negative impact on the quality of manager/players we can attract.  Finger oot gents.....

• Agree 2

I was just reading the same thing Sean127. Doesn't fill me with confidence either and certainly shows no ambition to climb straight back up to the top flight.

I have read this forum for long enough, but never had the desire to post until now. This is such a critical time for our club. I have been watching for updates with bated breath for news of our next gaffer, but the wait goes on, whilst players we may want to sign are being courted by the competition.

My first thought for manager was Paul Hartley, but after getting Alloa and Dundee promoted, he has fairly fizzled out at Dundee in his third season, just as he did at Alloa. So, not so sure, but realistically who can we attract as manager?

I think we do need someone who knows Scottish football and knows both the championship and Premiership, as that is where we are and want to be. Given the names mentioned, here are my thoughts:

Malpas - been a good assistant at various clubs, but has really crashed and burned as a manager, lasting a year at his only two positions, taking Motherwell from mid-table to relegation Zone and Swindon crashing out of cups to lower league opposition. I suspect he would take us backwards too.

Sheerin - got Arbroath promoted, but then relegated, so no further forward under his management. Won the u20s league with Aberdeen, then finished 9th this season with some big losses in there, so no further forward there. Reputation of a good coach, but has never managed a full time team before, so lots to learn, which I don't think we have time for. Too risky for me.

robertson - did well for us in the past, getting us promoted from the then championship in 2004. Seemingly has a habit of falling out with folks. Only lasted 7 months at Hearts, 4 months at Ross County, a year at Derry City and 11 months at East Fife. Been out of management for 5 years, probably for that reason. It's a no from me.

Lennon - not the highest win%, but as someone pointed out earlier, that isn't the most important statistic. What a manager has achieved is more important. Two promotions with Cowdenbeath in his 2 years there. Won the League Cup at St. Mirren and kept them safe in the top league in his 4 years there on a low budget, whilst developing some top players like John McGinn, Kenny McLean and Darren McGregor. Look how far they have fallen since he left, perhaps shows how much he had them punching above their weight. Joined Alloa when they were bottom of the Championship and saved them by winning the play-offs. Then took Airdrie up a couple of positions in the league as interim manager. He perhaps isn't Mourinho, but I think he would be a solid manager for us that would guide us back up a division and keep us there, whilst developing some young players for us. It's a yes for me.

Edited by FamilyMan
  • Agree 2

Are we back to looking at managerial win percentages?

Danny Lennon doesn't have a perfect record but he had several tricky jobs.  He took Cowdenbeath to two successive promotions, which is probably the best outcome you could hope for with them.  He kept St Mirren in the top flight and won a major trophy, again probably the best he could hope for.  The fact they've dropped like a stone since he was let go is indicative that he did a pretty good job.  They didn't ever set the heather on fire in the Premiership but the two 8th place finishes he managed were the best positions that St Mirren have finished in since the 1980s.

Since then he's had two short-term appointments - he kept Alloa up but didn't manage to kick on the following season and then had a short spell at Airdrie to cover for when Eddie Wolecki had a stroke.

He's not a glamour choice or anything like that but he has experience of managing sides at this level, and above.  He has been involved in Scottish football for a long time so will hopefully have a good understanding of the teams around us and be able to prepare the team a bit better than we were last season.  I wasn't particularly impressed with his St Mirren team but you can't argue with his achievements.  Also, for someone like Danny Lennon, we are a huge opportunity, we are the biggest club he'll probably get a shot at managing at the moment.  He'll certainly be motivated to succeed.

If we do appoint him I would be happy.

• Agree 2

Worrying times! I just wonder who is actually carrying out the interviews? And would the se people have any actual football experience?  couldn't have the Rice man as he's probably looking for a job!

Who else in the club has the qualifications to interview for a Club manager?

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic