New Manager

Pele_Is_God

With Robbo allegedly coming back does this signal a change in the power balance at boardroom level?  Is it not true that he had a big fall out with Mr Sutherland and is very much Mr Savage's man?

Surely he's back as DoF and not manager. Surely...

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ten4 said:

Hopefully we will know who it is today. With the official press conference tomorrow morning.

This is the complete text of the press release sent to media ... doesnt sound like we will find out today and nothing to indicate it is (or is not) Robbo. Think I will just wait and see !!

Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC would like to invite you along to meet our new Manager:

Date : Wednesday 14th June 2017
Time : 10am
Location : Telford Boardroom, Tulloch Caledonian Stadium, Inverness

All newspapers, broadcasters and photographers welcome.
Kind regards,

If it IS Robbo, then he is one of only two managers who has experience of getting us promoted from the second tier to the top tier !!!

I'm going to cling to the positives:

- Robbo got us promoted before

- Ex-players such as Bobby Mann (in a Tell Him He's Pele interview) and Michael Fraser (in the Courier today) speak very highly of him

- He must have plenty of decent contacts, which hopefully will result in some good signings; my own feeling is that being a good recruiter is more important at this level than being a good tactician.

On the other hand, he's only managed one club in ten years - East Fife for 16 months - and none in 5 years.  That raises concerns.

The names that have been linked with this post have been hugely unimpressive - the focus on old boys such as Robbo and Sheerin suggest, frankly, laziness on the board's part.  I find it hard to believe that there weren't any candidates outside our own 'old boys' circle or indeed beyond the usual names in Scottish football (Danny Lennon?!).  It doesn't seem likely that outside applications were welcomed at all, and not just because Ossie Ardiles hasn't been linked.

It's all dreadfully underwhelming.

Edited by hislopsoffsideagain
  • Agree 2

Robbo seems like a nice enough guy, but this is a bizarre appointment.  Hasn't managed a club in five years and even then it was at East Fife where he got the sack and hasn't managed a full time club in a decade.  Now yes, he did well here last time but let's not forget what happened - he inherited a very team from Steve Paterson (which was top of the league at the time as I recall) and brought in David Bingham who he was friends with and was also one of the best players in the league.  I really wonder if there are some crossed wires here and Robbo is Director of Football or General Manager and someone else is the team manager.  That would make far more sense.

I'm sure he's an enthusiastic guy around the club but he does seem to have a habit of falling out with people, as well as lasting nowhere long.  I won't be at all surprised if he's walked before the season has ended.

Like any new manager Robbo will, and should, be judged on the results after he takes control. I understand some of the scepticism, but in the grand scheme of things we aren't the most attractive of propositions, (finance, crowds, salary, to name 3) how many of the people mentioned would even want to come here? I can't think of getting excited at any of the names linked to the job, so to that end this doesn't put me up or down.We keep being told it's difficult to recruit players to the 'far North' so maybe it's the same issue getting a manager in.

I wish Robbo every success, in the same way I would have done to any incoming manager.

• Agree 5
  • Disagree 1

In fairness to Robbo, he was hardly likely to turn down the opportunity to manage at Tynecastle after his very successful season at Inverness. He is a legend at Hearts for his exploits on the park and a great striker. It was out of his hands when the new management structure terminated his contract when they took over. I've no idea what happened at East Fife, I'm sure someone will be able to tell us though.

How about we just go for:

• Director of Football: Steve Paterson
  • Manager: Terry Butcher
  • Assistant: Maurice Malpas
  • Attack Coach: Richie Foran
  • Technical Coach: Charlie Christie
  • Fitness Coach: Craig Brewster
  • Defence Coach: Sergie Baltacha
  • Youth Coach: John Robertson

Actually, that's not bad! I'm sure they'd all get on (I think they might!)

40 minutes ago, starchief said:

How about we just go for:

• Director of Football: Steve Paterson
  • Manager: Terry Butcher
  • Assistant: Maurice Malpas
  • Attack Coach: Richie Foran
  • Technical Coach: Charlie Christie
  • Fitness Coach: Craig Brewster
  • Defence Coach: Sergie Baltacha
  • Youth Coach: John Robertson

Actually, that's not bad! I'm sure they'd all get on (I think they might!)

Love it!! Who is the favourite now? Due to my crappy phone, I can't see the previous page of this thread...!

17 minutes ago, jingsmonty said:

Love it!! Who is the favourite now? Due to my crappy phone, I can't see the previous page of this thread...!

Don't think it is just your phone.  I've had similar trouble for a couple of days now, even on my computer.  Must be a website issue, I think.

• Agree 3

its intermittent and something I need to look into but its a bit of a needle in a haystack as the user's own settings can have a bearing on this, but the basic workaround is just to add /?page=xx to the end of the URL where xx is the page number you want.

This topic has 18 pages on my settings and the basic URL is http://caleythistleonline.com/topic/31388-new-manager/?page=18 . If you want 17 and the PREV button is not working for you for some reason just hand edit the 18 in the url to 17 (or whatever page you want). If you want the first page, just remove the ?page=xx from the url completely. 

It certainly wasn't happening with any of the other names being thrown around on here. So nothing has changed.

We need to get a squad built quickly, so let's get on with it now.

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, standbydave said:

Thats the manager sorted out then,personaly I think he is a good guy,he got us up before so lets cut out the sniping and get behind him. Think we will see a different style this season coming and more wins for a start

Ye surprised with that appointment but can defo see it working out well! No doubts robbos got a few contacts for players coyc

• Agree 1

IF true then I will wish him well. He did a good job for us before, got us up to the top division in the first place, and put both the club directors and the SPL on the spot when it came to our eventual promotion to the top league and our groundshare with Aberdeen. The fact that he left us to go to Hearts was no surprise given his playing history so no bad feelings there, and anytime I have seen him speak of ICT it has always been in a positive manner. He was also very personable with the fans. If he has ruffled a few executive feathers along the way then so what ... ALL of our managers have done that at some point ... and some way more than others !

I will wait for the official confirmation but this "surprise" candidate is a far better choice than some of the names mentioned IMHO. Paul Sheerin's time will come at ICT and I am only guessing here but perhaps our board did not want to put a club legend with limited managerial experience into the hotseat to replace another club legend with limited managerial experience for fear of the same outcome?  He may not have been in a managerial position for a while but Robbo's experience cannot be said to be limited and his record at ICT was pretty good (44 wins in 82 games).     

• Agree 3

We`ve got the core of players and he was certainly a motivator so hope his tactics & style will suit and has good recruitment plans. Hopefully he will find another

Bingham or Juanjo.

He was quite good with the media but could be fiercely outspoken. The championship winning team he was in charge of arguably played more exciting football

than the last few seasons and the crowds were of course more atmospheric because we could stand or move around anywhere in the North or West.{ south must still have

been out of bounds for home fans as I cant ever remember being there)

Has he still got the hunger maybe coming back here will reignite him as he was unfairly treated by Romanov at Hearts.

Or as some posters are already saying coming back is never a good thing.

Inverness Caley Thistle are about to begin another episode our journey starting at 10 am tomorrow! Don't be late.:clapping:

Robbo has been out of the game for some time and his record since he left us has been uninspiring but he is a football man who is decent, articulate and has always spoken positively about the club and the area. There may be reservations about whether he can repeat his earlier success with us but now is not the time for division. We need to put any personal reservations aside and back the new man and whatever team he manages to retain and/or assemble for next season. Just a pity that he is not taking the shrewd and dependable Donald Park with him this time.

I wouldn't be too disappointing to get Robbo back. I mentioned his name as a potential candidate a few years back (before we got Yogi I think). He definitely knows how to motivate players, and is well known throughout Scottish football. People would want to play for him, so I think he can do a good job with recruitment. 

None of the names mentioned particularly inspired me, but I think I'd prefer Robbo to Sheerin or Lennon. As stated above, it would have been good if he brought Donald Park with him, but I think he has a good job with the SFA at the moment. 

He has a big task ahead of him getting in players in time for the league cup!

Edited by lightwelter
  • Agree 1

Recall the old terrace talk that Savage and Sutherland were at loggerheads over Robbo's return to the club. Such rumours are normally the figment of a pub bores imagination - but here we are!

The man did a fine job for us before and has made Inverness his home.  

Some might say football has moved on - tactics, training methods, stats etc. Certainly at the top level this is the case where every player is World Class and it's all about small margins. But at our level? Come on. I'd rather have a seasoned, experienced bona fide Scottish football legend who's been there, done it, got the t-shirt managing our club than some one-dimensional rookie coach armed only with a laptop and a passing drills textbook. 

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, tm4tj said:

In fairness to Robbo, he was hardly likely to turn down the opportunity to manage at Tynecastle after his very successful season at Inverness. He is a legend at Hearts for his exploits on the park and a great striker. It was out of his hands when the new management structure terminated his contract when they took over. I've no idea what happened at East Fife, I'm sure someone will be able to tell us though.

I think he left East Fife as it was a part time position & it wasn't worth his while commuting from Ardersier as it was almost costing him money to do tge job..seem to remember that from the time.

Ironic,given that it's usually the other way round with our location!

Wasn't hugely enamoured with having an ex-manager, but of all our ex-managers, Robbo's the one I'd pick.

Maybe a 'safe' appointment & not adventurous, but is that a bad thing?

• Agree 1

We're in need of a big rebuild.  Has Robertson ever actually build a side?  As mentioned previously, he did well here with Steve Paterson's team (and added Bingham who he was big friends with) and he doesn't seem to be at teams long enough to truly build his own team.

In fact, has he ever been at a club longer than two years?  I don't *think* he has.

Edited by Renegade
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

its intermittent and something I need to look into but its a bit of a needle in a haystack as the user's own settings can have a bearing on this, but the basic workaround is just to add /?page=xx to the end of the URL where xx is the page number you want.

This topic has 18 pages on my settings and the basic URL is http://caleythistleonline.com/topic/31388-new-manager/?page=18 . If you want 17 and the PREV button is not working for you for some reason just hand edit the 18 in the url to 17 (or whatever page you want). If you want the first page, just remove the ?page=xx from the url completely. 

Cheers!

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic