Transfer in and outs

ferben1994

Hearing on the grapevine, Robbo wants to bring in two or three more players.  Joe Chalmers looks set to be offered a deal and there's a tall Dutch striker coming in.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2

Goodness--and the money to do this?

Maybe the coffers are actually fuller than we think and the senior members of the  Board have faith in John Robertson. The latter phrase I endorse.

Oh and the two guys sitting in he photo--definitely not Mutt and Jeff though.:wink:

From P&J today Robbo quotes OFW has been told he is free to find a new club and if a couple of guys who we are hoping to move on do so that opens up the potential of bringing in two or three more. More or less what someone said in a post last night that I can't see this morning!

17 hours ago, RiG said:

So our 'realistic' first team squad is something this then?

Midfielders

Ross Draper
Liam Polworth
Ian Vigurs

Attacking MF
Aaron Doran
Jake Mulraney
Zachary Elbouzedi

Forwards

John Baird
George Oakley

It has been good to see reinforcements coming in following a bit of a clear out, at least we have enough to put out a team! Of course it's hard to know if any of the new boys will do enough of a job for us, we retained few of those who joined last year, most not really a loss, except Fisher and Laing perhaps (and IMO Larnell Cole). I think still think we look a bit light upfront, although our best recent seasons have seen us rely on just a couple of players, hoping that injuries were rare. But looking at the midfield we look very short of ball winners, hopefully Draper stays, but if he is out of the equation for any reason then we look vulnerable...I just hope the next couple of signings address that area. That aside if the attacking midfielders (wingers) can deliver we could have a decent season....I'm certainly looking forward to it.

It's very early  days but some promising signs in the the two  friendlies I've been to .

Looking forward to game at Elgin today .Robbo is a breath of fresh air I have every faith in him .

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

18 hours ago, ictchris said:

I appreciate people are getting excited by these signings but we don't really know anything about these players.  Aside from Baird none have any real experience that we can judge them against and players straight out of youth academies are often very raw and unable to make an impact in first team football.  Look at the example of Jake Mulreany, who generated a lot of excitement thsi time last year but didn't have as big an influence as anyone would've wanted.

We should also beware comparing these players to the players we've previously signed from the English lower leagues and Academies.  None of these guys have over fifty games in first team football, a couple (Elbouzedi and Elsdon) have never played first team football.  Players like Hayes, Rooney, Draper, Tansey, Watkins, Tremarco all had far more experience, most of them had around 100 first teams games under their belts.

They could be excellent signings and I hope they are but I'd be very surprised if, aside from Baird and Ridgers, more than one or two of these guys becomes a regular first team player.

Aside from Hayes, all of those players were signed when we were a premier league club. Even Rooney who signed season we got relegated.

And Hayes had played less than 50 games. Cast your mind back to the players brought in the season we were in the championship/1st division. Dan Stratford, Robert Eagle, Nauris Bulvitis etc. None of them really had much experience or pedigree at the time.

But if we can blend young hungry players with the experience already at the club. Ridgers, Raven, Warren, Tremarco, Draper, Baird, Mackay to an extent then we should have a good blend.

I reckon our next few signings will be Joe Chalmers, Scott Leitch and this Dutch striker mentioned. Possibly the 17 year old Foy who impressed earlier against Forres.

Edited by Council Juice
Additional para.

Daryl Duffy was apparently playing up front for us today. He was not very good. 

There was also a half time stadium announcement for a Mr Alan Gow to report to the team tunnel - which made me fear the worst! 

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, RossP said:

There was also a half time stadium announcement for a Mr Alan Gow to report to the team tunnel - which made me fear the worst! 

A decade too late to be thinking about signing Duffy.

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, RossP said:

Yeah, I did wonder when I heard that call for Mr Alan Gow! Didn't realise that Daryl Duffy was up front for us...doesn't say much, not impressed at all.

As an aside, didn't they both break through at Falkirk when a certain Yogi Hughes was manager?

Will probably go to the Clach game on Tues - I'm a glutton for punishment!

9 hours ago, TheCommissioner said:

To be honest, I wouldn't miss him too much. I think Hughes was onto something when he was going to be let go. Seems to be 50/50 and on his last legs, imo. Definitely not the player he used to be. 

Maybe, but I thought he did fine last season (despite the goals leaked - mainly down to RF tactics leaving the centre halfs exposed) - and some erratic goalkeeping from OFW!!

Probably got a point though, could see him going after this season - think he is contract is up at the end of this season?

Whether he stays or goes, Raves will always be welcome up here - will never forget seeing him score the winning goal at Hampden against Celtic!

Sentiment aside, do take your point - he isn't getting younger but think he's worth seeing out the year left on his contract - but if Robbo can bring in younger talent on his wage, then, maybe worth saying 'adios'

Edited by jingsmonty

5 hours ago, jingsmonty said:

Whether he stays or goes, Raves will always be welcome up here - will never forget seeing him score the winning goal at Hampden against Celtic!

but if Robbo can bring in younger talent on his wage, then, maybe worth saying 'adios'

I totally agree with you on the parts above, the problem the club has is the lack of money and the league we are in now. Robbo is now trying to rebuild a team and has to offload as many of the biggest earners to do that. Failing that the club will struggle to exist!

38 minutes ago, IBM said:

I totally agree with you on the parts above, the problem the club has is the lack of money and the league we are in now. Robbo is now trying to rebuild a team and has to offload as many of the biggest earners to do that. Failing that the club will struggle to exist!

I think the club is in a much more secure position than you imply.

There is little chance of the club struggling to exist with the careful work robbo is doing. 

It will be interesting to compare last years wage bill to this years at the end of the season and compare the quality of the players we had for the money. A lot of the players we had in were on very inflated wages. We paid for mercenaries because we couldnt charm them to come. That us what robbo is doing now. 

Not withstanding elgin result there is an incredibly positive and enthusastic feel to robbo, the players and the media presence.  

If you have not seen them look for the exchanges between meekings , brad and mcnaughton to name a few on twitter. 

'Great to be around such positive people'

Maybe there was only one bad apple....

Edited by Moogthurso
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, jingsmonty said:

Maybe, but I thought he did fine last season (despite the goals leaked - mainly down to RF tactics leaving the centre halfs exposed) - and some erratic goalkeeping from OFW!!

Probably got a point though, could see him going after this season - think he is contract is up at the end of this season?

Sentiment aside, do take your point - he isn't getting younger but think he's worth seeing out the year left on his contract - but if Robbo can bring in younger talent on his wage, then, maybe worth saying 'adios'

I believe his deal runs until January. Odd one. I believe it came about last summer when he signed a 1 year deal with optional year extension. Due to injuries etc he wasn't going to automatically trigger the extra year but in December Foran decided to offer a separate 6 Months until Jan 2018 that wasn't tied to the original deal. Currently he's probably able to talk to clubs about a pre contract. 

It's one I'm undecided on. He's a favourite and part of many great memories. The goal v celtic and singing on stage with the guitar at the cup parade being right up there. Hes a wealth of experience as well. However if he's no longer able to truly offer to the first team it might be better, for both parties, to severe ties.

We'd have a substantial earner off the books, and able to use it towards new recruits and Dave the Rave would be free to continue his career elsewhere.

That's not to say I'd not be happy for him to stay, but, he has to be able to offer an input to the first team on the pitch. We don't have enough room in our budget for sentiment really. As cold as that sounds. This is why the likes of Tokely, Russell and Munro were eventually released. Because Butcher felt their best was behind them and he could get better people in to do the job on the money. You could say he was justified with the signings of Warren and Meekings.

• Agree 2

50 minutes ago, Council Juice said:

I believe his deal runs until January. Odd one. I believe it came about last summer when he signed a 1 year deal with optional year extension. Due to injuries etc he wasn't going to automatically trigger the extra year but in December Foran decided to offer a separate 6 Months until Jan 2018 that wasn't tied to the original deal. Currently he's probably able to talk to clubs about a pre contract. 

It's one I'm undecided on. He's a favourite and part of many great memories. The goal v celtic and singing on stage with the guitar at the cup parade being right up there. Hes a wealth of experience as well. However if he's no longer able to truly offer to the first team it might be better, for both parties, to severe ties.

We'd have a substantial earner off the books, and able to use it towards new recruits and Dave the Rave would be free to continue his career elsewhere.

That's not to say I'd not be happy for him to stay, but, he has to be able to offer an input to the first team on the pitch. We don't have enough room in our budget for sentiment really. As cold as that sounds. This is why the likes of Tokely, Russell and Munro were eventually released. Because Butcher felt their best was behind them and he could get better people in to do the job on the money. You could say he was justified with the signings of Warren and Meekings.

That's exactly my thoughts - I remember being pretty pi*%ed off when our stalwarts such as Tokeley, Munro & Russel D were released for players I'd heard of, but, like you said, little room for sentiment with these sorts of decisions & it was the right decision, in hindsight.

Glad I don't have to make them!!

I don't wish to go over old ground yet again, but I wish people would remember what happened after Munro went.  Our defence was a shambles the following season and we were bad enough to be relegated - only saved by a bankrupt Dunfermline and a dire Hibs side.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Renegade said:

I don't wish to go over old ground yet again, but I wish people would remember what happened after Munro went.  Our defence was a shambles the following season and we were bad enough to be relegated - only saved by a bankrupt Dunfermline and a dire Hibs side.

I fear the same thing may happen again, with the changes made - however, like the look of Seedorf & Calder so far.

I would have loved to have kept Munro as long as possible (do feel he could have had at least another season with us, but that's in the past), but ageing players do need replacing at some point!

Will definetly need to think about who follows Warren & Raven at some point ( they who replaced the stalwarts, have become stalwarts themselves!) - neither are getting any younger..maybe Seedorf & Calder are the start of this? Not sure about Eldson, seems decent, but think he is just here to get game time - if he's decent enough, Boro would probably keep him or sell him on...

Mind you, we got Tansey (& Doran too, I think) as a result of sucessful loan deals, so you never know..

17 hours ago, Renegade said:

Our defence was awful last season. Whether due to personnel ,tactics or midfield support.  Any change can only be an improvement over losing three goals a game. 

1 hour ago, Moogthurso said:

Our defence was awful last season. Whether due to personnel ,tactics or midfield support.  Any change can only be an improvement over losing three goals a game. 

Played 38 conceded 71 so less than 2 a game .

• Agree 2