Caley Jags 2017/18 squad + changes in/out

Council Juice

1 hour ago, Adamskibeats said:

The transfer window closing is only for permanent moves. The loan window is open til March and obviously free transfers can be completed anytime.....

That's what Robbo was talking about in his post-match interview last night; getting in a couple of loanees before the end of February.

You have to look at the panic signings over the Bridge not appearing to make much of a difference to their predicament. They are falling further behind and it looks like no amount of money will help.

• Agree 1

We got Austin in pretty early and have tidied up the squad with 'big wage' earners David Raven and OFW off the books plus obvious deadwood/no-hopers Eldson, Cooper, and 'Susan' released or leaving. Coll Donaldson has been secured with a longer contract. Interestly some had Calder marked for an exit but he seems to have really up his game in January. With Daniel Mackay getting some game time and his first goal that is a plus along with Doran's continuing rehabilition. Presumably Zak Elbouzedi will come back from Elgin City have had some game time.

Overall I think we have done a decent job over two windows trimming the squad to suit income and rebuilding.

Ross County do seem to have snapped up a lot of players (fairly average ones though?) in an effort to stay up...but could cost them later, and so far doesn't see to be having any affect

• Agree 1

Agree with above. We are getting there with a team/gang mentality again. This was understandibly lost at the start of the season with the turnover of players.

Is OFW totally off the wage bill though?

County seem to be splashing out on a flash harry and failures/rejects. I can see Coyle on the dole soon also. Shame. 

:ictscarf:

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Maybe Ross County's Boss is having a hard time getting players.

Dingwall is a small town and the club is basically in the middle of nowhere . Any geographic area north off Inverness can hardly be attractive to seasoned player ..?

Interesting that we bitch and moan when we're treated like theres no life north of Perth, but are quite happy to then treat those north of Inverness with the same disdain.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Come on now. It is Dingwall we're talking about.

I would never slag anyone fron Dingwall. Hurts like hell when they punch you with six fingers on each hand. :crazy:

It's not a question of ever regarding them with disdain but dealing with the reality of the fact that the further North you go  then the more remote and unattractive it MAY seem to people who live in the  possibly more active or busier Southern areas. Meaning limitations on shopping opportunities, sports activities and what they know, or don't know, about school facilities and the quality of education for their children etc., just to mention a few. Also, the question of remoteness and the distance that is entailed in accessing anything they want down South from Dingwall, including...e.g.  access to an airport?

Not to mention the possibility of  more severe weather conditions affecting their daily life and mobility and bodily comfort. e.g  We live in the West coast of the Pacific rim in Vancouver, Canada, and generally speaking, the weather  is not excessively uncomfortable  except for often more rain than you can shake a stick at in the Winter plus heavy snowfalls  and some very hot weather can also be a bugbear in the Summer. Global warming hits us like  a ton of bricks, fish are dying from unnatural causes, forest and brush fires are increasing in size leading to the immense destruction (homes levelled  to the ground and trees burned to a crisp ) plus the huge costs of the actual damage itself and  the fire fighting and so on. The alternative for us , however, is the fact that the outdoor activities (even locally) are stupendous, the scenery is gorgeous, the many bridges across the Fraser River in Vancouver are now toll free and access to the city of Vancouver for those who live outside the city boundaries like me is readily available. So thinking of moving further North is absolutely out of the question-- the remoteness, severe cold and snowfalls in winter, huge distances to travel to get to  the larger cities does not make it attractive to me , although it's awesome majesty,  power and beauty astounds me.  But,  it's horses for courses and some people love the life-style that the remote and exquisitely beautiful North offers. 

I read some time ago that Inverness was viewed as the most attractive place to live in Britain.  How many Polish people are still living in Inverness, Caley D?  In the past I have seen it quoted as 10,000, a figure that really surprised me. So the city of Inverness to me is attractive but Dingwall, which at one time in the very distant past was where the Vikings located their Assizes, would not attract me  because my background is city living and the availability of amenities which would not exist there.

Not to mention the fact that, as one ages, one changes and needs and wants  mirror these changes. My wife stated  that after she returned to Odessa in Ukraine, where she was born, for a few weeks  to see her mother she felt uncomfortable and openly admitted that she had changed ! It's a subtle but unavoidable process. 

Cheers Guys from sunny and beautiful British Columbia.

13 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Maybe Ross County's Boss is having a hard time getting players.

Dingwall is a small town and the club is basically in the middle of nowhere . Any geographic area north off Inverness can hardly be attractive to seasoned player ..?

Dingwall is easily within commuting distance of Inverness - a mere 15 miles away.

Roy attracts players to the club by telling them they're just outside the city of Inverness!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, buckett said:

Dingwall is easily within commuting distance of Inverness - a mere 15 miles away.

Roy attracts players to the club by telling them they're just outside the city of Inverness!

Don't most of their players live in Inverness?

On 10/02/2018 at 9:49 PM, buckett said:

And that they own the HFA.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...

With Austin, Doran, Elbouzedi, Mackay, Bell, Mulraney and Oakley still intact  I don't see this as a problem. It's not like he scored hundreds of goals although his work rate was sometimes impressive. However, work rate does not automatically get you goals and that's what he was signed for. Epic fail.

• Agree 1

I agree that with Austin and Oakley available we don't need Baird, simply because he seems the least able of the trio. However I'm pleased Robbo wants to make a couple of loan signings. A right-back please, so McKay can renew his partnership with Donaldson. And I would still make a few overtures across the bridge, where they have so many strikers that surely they'd let us have a shot of a Mr B. Mckay for the run-in?

• Sad 1