Things you don't see anymore

DJS

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when we lived at No 70 Kenneth Street, sitting on the edge of the pavement (what mother would allow her 3 year old to do that these days?!) watching the orange horsedrawn Stratton wagon go up the street. I can still almost smell the horse! In these days horse poo on the street was fairly common. Do you remember the horse trough at the junction of Wells St., Kenneth St and Telford St?

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the rag & bone man coming round Dalneigh on his horse & cart  , he gave us bairns a balloon if he got any old rags etc from our house & i remember a tinky wifie going about with a pram full of god knows what , oh aye & remember Suzi mackay she was a character , Jock the milkman & Albert the coal man

Did the tinky wifie not have "tartan" legs from sitting at the fire for too long and smell something awful? I'm sure I saw her in Safeways cafe many years later and the pong was just as bad. Put me right off my breakfast.

Aye i think you're right , the tinky wifie did stink , cant say i noticed her legs , i was only a wee bairn at the time & was  too busy trying to see what she had in her pram , she wore a funny hat too , sort of flat cap thing

I think the "tartan legs" were some kind of "anti status symbol" among women in these coal fire, pre central heating days. If you had them, you were deemed by your peers to be spending too long sitting in front of the fire and not long enough with your feet underneath the sink.

well as a bairn i loved to sit by the coal fire & often had tinkers tartan ( as my mother called it ) in fact once when i left my school shoes by the fire i went to put them on & only the uppers came , the rubber soles were stuck to the hearth !  still love my heat to this day though , you canna beat the old coal fire

well as a bairn i loved to sit by the coal fire & often had tinkers tartan ( as my mother called it ) in fact once when i left my school shoes by the fire i went to put them on & only the uppers came , the rubber soles were stuck to the hearth !  still love my heat to this day though , you canna beat the old coal fire

:015: reminds me of the time as a fashion conciuos teenager,havin a neckin session wi a bird on the livin room flair,open fire etc,went to stand up and the crepe souls of my brothel creepers stuck to meh maws posh new carpet  :crazy07:

Yes Charles I remember all of your memories--even the Tardis at the canal and the horse trough at Kenneth Street and Lochalsh road.

plus

ALL of my hair on ma heid.

Plus Fours.

Flannels with turned up bottoms (hems).

Onion Johnnys (Andre for one )

DA Haircuts.

The fire at the Caley Park.

Bobbie Bolt, centre half for Caley at Telford Street. When Bobby played every other  week he took out all his teeth and I think he scared the opposing team half to death Hoch! Hoch!

The Saturday morning Lemonade truck --complete with Ginger Ale, Sparkling Special  and.......?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dougald

I have an easy answer, the old Inverness, the way we remember it. Most on this site appear to be my age, but was it not nice in our hey day ????

Some from the Dalneigh suburbs:

Jubilee Stores - grocers on corner of Park Road & Glenurquhart Road, lately a memorial workshop, just demolished.

Murray's Stores - grocers on Ballifeary Lane, now a smart wee bungalow next to mailbox.

Serena - hairdressing salon on Ballifeary Road, converted back to a house mid '70s I think.

Smith's Automobiles - car showroom & garage on Glenurquhart Road, now Morning, Noon and Night & 1st Pizza etc.

Yes I noticed the Jubilee Stores were under deconstruction but are they demolishing it totally. There seemed to be a timber frame left when I last passed on Sunday.

I always used to smile at the term "Monumental Sculptor". It used to conjure up a vision of this huge, massive great guy with a chisel in his hand!

Aw! On Sunday I had hopes that it might have been a reconstruction job and the old landmark might have survived. The site will probably now sell for 1/4 million for a shed!

That's the second wooden landmark in that area to disappear of late - the former black and red Kingsmills Park tea hut which latterly became a garage beside the Queens Park is also away....

....along with the Royal Academy Playing field and the Station, Kingsmills, Caley, Mercury and Cummings hotels in name at any rate.

Elvis is indeed alive and well and living on Hawthorn Drive.  I think the owners of the old Jaggie tea hut just had the good sense to give it a coat of Cuprinol.  It's still there.

Didn't Inverness not empty to a much greater extent during the trades fortnight years ago than it does now?

Wednesday half day closing.  Does any place still do it?