15th July @ 3PM, Caledonian Stadium
twitter icon Follow us on Twitter
facebook icon Follow us on Facebook
chat Go to the Chatroom
ie

Media Coverage

ff
AUDIO COVERAGE
  • Not Published yet (no link published yet but if there is coverage it should be available from this link. [UK Only]

LIVE TEXT (ONLINE)
VIDEO
TEAM LINEUPS
TO FOLLOW

Tweets by @ICTFC

ok, here's the first matchday thread for the season .... posting it early as I will be taking my little guy to his own football practice during the morning. Mods/Admin can amend the thread as required. POY and other updates will follow later. 

Well its a winning start but I would not get carried away after all it was Brechin we were playing , will be interested to hear from those at the game, certainly stats wise it was all Caley, but how did they play I am only watching the BBC reports coming in.

Hopefully we can build from here

Much improved from Elgin game, yes it was Brechin so not getting carried away. We played some good stuff today, Seedorf for me MOM, he was not alone in good performers though. Different challenge against Falkirk, but guys seem to be slowly gelling.

Really liked the look of Seedorf and he linked up well with Mulraney.  Hopefully this will become a great partnership. Also thought Oakley looked sharp.  . The team seemed to be gelling more and now  feeling much more positive about the season ahead.   Nice to see Darren Dods back at the stadium.

• Agree 1

Strolled through the game to be honest could have scored more but seemed to settle on 3.

Standouts for me the 2 fullbacks who look to really good buys. The guy Seedorf just oozes class and looks like he could play anywhere on the pitch.

Only little niggle for me was the sh*te weather absolutely soaked.

Seedorf played very well.  Seemed technically very good especially for a defender.  Calder I'm less sure about - he's decent enough going forward but got skinned a few times down that side in the first half.  Wonder if he'd be better at left wing as I think the only time we'd get away with him at left back would be if we played a back five.

Oakley was reasonable enough, but I think he looks more like a number 10 than an out and out striker.  Baird was making runs that others weren't finding and I wonder if he'd feed off a target man a lot better.

Edited by Renegade

A few observations today...

Seedorf was great. I think RB will be his permanent position, despite spending time at CB and CM in the last two games. I still think he's too slight for a central position, but at RB today his touch, movement and passing was excellent. I reckon Raven is that other player that is rumoured to be offered out for free with OFW. 

Polworth was awful. Since seeing him play for Scotland schoolboys on SkySports I've been desperate for him to become a superstar in the team, but he seems to have stalled in the last 12 months. He's obviously lacking confidence and needs a goal or MOTM performance to get back on track. 

Baird/Oakley combined quite well at times. Baird played better, but Oakley was the only ICT player with black boots... so he wins out despite doing very little. 

Warren/Mckay were more than comfortable as a CB pairing and from what I've seen of the Middlesborough loanee I reckon those three are good cover for the season. 

• Agree 2

After an even first few minutes, We pretty much bossed it.

Good to see 7 of the new guys, 5 starting and 2 coming on.

Ridgers had little to do so can't comment on him.

Seedorf was a stand out at right back. Was quieter when moved into midfield late on. With Raven on bench, probably confirms he is one the club may be happy to see move on.

Calder looked promising at left back, and will be useful cover when Tremarco returns.

No complaints about Warren or Mckay with Warren taking his goals well. Elsdon looked OK also when he came on.

In midfield, Vigurs was good in the deep role. Draper was busy as usual and pretty commanding. Mulraney's pace was troublesome all day, and he was subject of some rough challenges. A consistent end product remains elusive. Polworth was disappointing. Did not see enough of Chalmers to judge after he came on, and it was a very harsh booking.

Up front, Baird was busy and looked promising, whilst Oakley was quieter but got off the mark.

For me, Seedorf was the pick, then Vigurs and Warren.

Early days but an encouraging start, and a few more goals would not have flattered us.

Edited by Robert

Just my observations and they agree mostly with what has been said but Seedorf was the MOM. Draper, Vigurs, Warren and McKay were as you expected. Calder was more comfortable going forward and Mulraney was simply the same as last season, little end product. Baird looked okay and you know what you will get from him while I thought Oakley was poor today but he does look like an Alex Fisher type player. Polworth flattered to deceive yet again with some good touches but at times he looked lazy and disinterested. Ridgers, while having little to do did not inspire any confidence in me as did not come for any crosses as he should of. All this has to be tempered with the fact that players still finding their fitness and sharpness so difficult to be too critical of anyone today.

All in all a good first performance in what in many ways was a pre season friendly as well. Fitness and sharpness will come. Once again however, Mulraney received little protection from the referee who was very poor. Some of the tackles put in by Brechin were extremely robust and took a long time to be punished and the nonsense involved in Warren trying to get back on after his injury was pure farce. Some things never change in Scottish football.

1 hour ago, RossP said:

A few observations today...

Seedorf was great. I think RB will be his permanent position, despite spending time at CB and CM in the last two games. I still think he's too slight for a central position, but at RB today his touch, movement and passing was excellent. I reckon Raven is that other player that is rumoured to be offered out for free with OFW. 

Polworth was awful. Since seeing him play for Scotland schoolboys on SkySports I've been desperate for him to become a superstar in the team, but he seems to have stalled in the last 12 months. He's obviously lacking confidence and needs a goal or MOTM performance to get back on track. 

Baird/Oakley combined quite well at times. Baird played better, but Oakley was the only ICT player with black boots... so he wins out despite doing very little. 

Warren/Mckay were more than comfortable as a CB pairing and from what I've seen of the Middlesborough loanee I reckon those three are good cover for the season. 

Polworth for me has everything to be a good player except attitude. It's shocking. If he just worked a lot harder he would stroll this level.

In respect to the game, like most folk, not getting carried away but a decent performance. Brechin weren't great but we did what was expected, played some good stuff at times and scored a few goals. Can't Really ask for more than that for a first game.

A very encouraging performance although it needs to be seen in the context of an absolutely woeful performance from Brechin.  Having just been promoted to the Championship I was expecting them to offer much more of a test.  On that form they will be lucky to end the season with more than single figure points.

However, part of Brechin's problem was that we played far better than they might have expected and for a team with so many new players, we played well as a team..  For what it's worth, this is my take on performances.

Ridgers.  Had far too little to do for me to make any comment.

Seedorf.  Looks like a real find.  Good ball skills, good composure and tenacious in trying to win the ball back.  Has the skill to thrill but knows when to play it simple.  Mulraney might learn a lot from him.

Mckay.  Solid enough 

Warren.  Two well taken goals and defensively solid.  

Calder.  Appeared to be lacking in confidence but demonstrated decent skills.  The small club environment may help bring the best out in him but he will need to be more assured and assertive if he is going to challenge a fit again Tremarco for a place in the team.

Draper.  An OK performance, but not one which will get other clubs rushing for the cheque book.  

Polworth.  Probably the weakest performance within the team.  Gets through a lot of work but loses possession too often and is careless at times with his passing. Had a period of excellent performances early in the 2015/6 season but has never got back to that level for some reason.  Hopefully Robbo will have the key to bring the best out in him.

Vigurs.  Controlled the midfield.  Reads the game well and is good at nicking the ball off the opposition and moving it on simply and accurately.  Has the vision to play the occasional more telling through ball.

Mulraney,  Terrorised the Brechin defence and received some harsh treatment in return.  Needs to develop a bit more composure and an awareness of other options.  His runs can pull defenders out of position which in turn allows his team mates to get in great positions themselves.  He needs to see this and off load more often.  A really exciting talent who seemed to go backwards under Foran.  If Robbo can help him develop his play, then we could have a bit of excitement on offer this year.  He and Seedorf could be quite a double act!

Oakley.  Took his goal well and that will have done his confidence no harm at all.  Looks a decent squad player but doesn't look a striker who would score more than 10 in a season.

Baird.  The opportunities didn't come his way, but he worked hard and made a lot of good runs off the ball.  I think we should see a decent return from him.  A Hat trick against Falkirk would do nicely!

Chalmers and Elsdon both had a brief run out and looked fine in a period when the game was no longer competitive.

All in all then, a very encouraging start.  Games against far tougher opponents than Brechin will give a better pointer as to what the season will bring.  Given Brechin's showing, at least we shouldn't be bottom of the league!

• Agree 1

Pretty much agree with all you have said Doofer snr, I was well impressed with Seedorf, looked quite effective when he shifted to midfield in the juggle up, However Vigurs does need to sharpen up the passes, he has the vision but need to zing the pass instead a wee trickle.

Quite often the passes he made were woefully short or intercepted, against Brechin he got away with it  a few times but against Falkirk he will be tested more for sure.

The  dilema that is Polworth....  had a good few drives, other times he looks like he turns off and totally loses concentration, its a worry because he will hopefully fill the Tansey gap.

• Agree 1

Little to say as most has been said, For me an enjoyable game to watch, some excellent distribution and passingthe ball on the ground, some really good running into space.

Who made the biggest impression? for me Seedorf. Really hard worker, clever awareness, good speed and great interception ability I was definitely happy clapping because we were bossing the game, now I want to see this happening against the full time playing squads, the promise and ability looks to be there and with the incoming 'Susan' to strengthen the goal rush we could be smiling a lot more this season.

I was hedging my bets too ( I. H. Ender) before the game started, I will be a lot more positive thinking towards the Falkirk match. .Well done ICT.

Pity my coffee was lukewarm when I bought it though.

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic