Scotty

My motm would be mulraney.

Would of gone down with the first challenge well in own half on the wing last season. 

Now he's skinning the opposition and winning free kicks all around the box.

The team is looking very promising for the rest of the season.

Edited by 12th Man
  • Agree 3

28 minutes ago, 12th Man said:

My motm would be mulrainey.

Would of gone down with the first challenge well in own half on the wing last season. 

Now he's skinning the opposition and winning free kicks all around the box.

The team is looking very promising for the rest of the season.

Hope you are right 12th man.

I had my 5 year old grandson at only his second game so missed some of the action as I tried to tell him where to be looking, but overall I left with a positive feel too.

Next week against Falkirk will tell us a lot, and the league opening could make or break our season.

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 1

I thought this was a decent performance with pass marks for most of the team. 

I couldnt decide but i think the formation at times was more 4 3 3  

Ridgers

Seedorf  mackay  warren calder

9                 7            8            6

Polworth         draper         vigurs  

5                           7                 5

Oakley            baird   mulreany

6                         7            8

Robbo

10 man/manager of the match

Couple of things stood out for me

Warren was much better. Commanding and comunicative. Liked seedorf  and calder covering movement if brad or warren pullled out of position. Back four much more astute only one full back at a time going forward the other staying back. Good comms from gary. 

Vigurs was poor mispassing multiple times first half ., arguing with warren in first half, not using space or combining effectively on left with calder and mulreany. Needs to work as a team player or take him out as he was disruptive. 

Calder and mulreany combining very well on left going forward with calder dribbling past mulreany at times and mulreany dropping back to cover. Calder sometimes a little out of position and missing tackles. Mulreany running back to defend when brechin got the ball tackling and then them both high fiving whenever they did something good for each other whether defensively or offensively. Different world to isolated player last year. He sometimes made poor decisions and overan the ball but much happier lad.

Seedorf was superb at right back. Speed strength and great touch. Dribbled past players. Passed past players class. One great piece of interplay between him mulreany and draper in the second half was worth the admission alone. 

Draper consistent tackles and touches. Very steady and fulcrum for me. 

Polworth poor. Turned into tackles and lost ball to often. Not sure what has to happen to make this work for him.  

Bairds movement great. Worked forward and back and across the line. Not quite linking up with oakley and rest of team who hadn't quite gelled to him yet.

Oakley was ok and got a goal but distribution and awareness not quite sharp yet. Be interesting to see what develops. Think the competition for places with Susan will keep the frontline very fresh.  

In summary good performances but the real test is falkirk. Robbos acquisitions and tactics look solid but the real difference is the sheer joy he has instilled in the team and when interviewed on sportsound  on the media as well. 

The only way is up.cant wait for Stirling and Falkirk. 

After the game with Elgin I was a bit worried how it would turn out v Brechin. It was like night and day the performance . Brechin were poor so let's not get too carried away yet but it's nice to see three goals and a clean sheet after last seasons rubbish. As most posters pointed out Seedorf looks exciting to watch and the rest of the team looked good. I can't see why some fans keep slagging of Polworth and Vigurs I thought they both had decent games. Polworth did fade in the latter part of the game but still has a lot to offer the team. It looked like a training excercise at times today but I am now looking forward to the  Falkirk game next week with a bit more confidence.

Collin Seedorf looks like a real find. 

Och well at least the those bloody Dons at S**ttodrie can't get him to sign a PCA until January 2019. :ictscarf:

36 minutes ago, The Long Man said:

Good grief. A manager who is articulate, shrewd, talks sense, is analytic and positive. Pass the smelling salts. I had forgotten what that's like.

good positive interview there. if you had to nit-pick though, slightly concerned when he says jake can score and create chances "when he feels like it"

21 minutes ago, 12th Man said:

Can anyone in the know explain why we had to wait until the ball was out of play for our player to come back on the pitch, when Brechin had a footballer waved back on by the ref during play.

Ref was a total **** whole game!! 

• Agree 2

27 minutes ago, 12th Man said:

Can anyone in the know explain why we had to wait until the ball was out of play for our player to come back on the pitch, when Brechin had a footballer waved back on by the ref during play.

It's because we are a Highland team and we were already winning. It's to give the Angus team a wee chance :wink:

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Renegade said:

As there was no 4th official to do it, the referee had to inspect Warren himself before allowing him back on as it was a blood injury. 

This. It's in the laws of the game, so the ref did the right thing by waiting until the ball was out of play. 

• Agree 2

Thoughts pretty much same as everyone else on this thread. Solid controlled performance with some attacking flair.  Colin Seedorf stood out at RB. We looked like a premiership side playing a second division side. Liked Bairds movement off the ball. Some loose passing which better teams may punish. Not major personnel changes from Elgin game but big jump in performance level. Saw enough to think we can make a challenge in championship. Seeing most of the other "big teams" put 4+ past their lesser opposition so maybe that's a reality check on where we are at, but on another day we could have bagged more goals. Jake still sometimes goes down too easily and theatrically, after first tackle and doesn't always get a foul, but on saturday when he skipped past 2/3 lunges he did eventually get properly clattered poor bugger.(hope he'll get more protection as the season goes on - when he was running at pace with the ball he was exciting to watch). We lost our shape a bit at the end when Robbo made subs to give others some game time and moved guys around.

Might be worth remembering that Brechin played this game without 5 or 6 first team regulars. A solid win no doubt with some good performances but I suspect we'll be facing a very different Brechin side in the future. 

Mulraney looked a real threat and hopefully he can have a storming season for us. Strange to see us playing 4-4-2 after so many seasons of, well, not. Didn't realise Baird was so small.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Might be worth remembering that Brechin played this game without 5 or 6 first team regulars. A solid win no doubt with some good performances but I suspect we'll be facing a very different Brechin side in the future. 

Mulraney looked a real threat and hopefully he can have a storming season for us. Strange to see us playing 4-4-2 after so many seasons of, well, not. Didn't realise Baird was so small.

Baird is much in the same mold as Robbo himself. If he turns out to have half his eye for poaching a goal he'll prove a great signing.

• Agree 1

Baird to my eye....looks like he wouldnt be feart of a physical challenge or two. Looks like he could be a handfull and can handle himself. Last striker i recall we had, that had a similar physical presence, was Paul Ritchie. I cant think of anyone else since

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic