The Ian Vigurs enigma

Moogthurso

And if he is viewed as expendable  in the near future who would the Manager put in his place? 

I think we have to accept that he is human and getting a wee bit older every day--an imperceptible  process that is only noticed when you want to find an excuse to criticise or denigrate someone.

In the meantime I feel that we should  be thankful he is still willing to play a solid role at  Caley Thistle and thank our  lucky stars at this very difficult time that he is content to remain with us.:clapoverhead:

Vigurs is pulling the strings in midfield. Some of his touches are amazing, even if some give us heart in mouth moments. I've not seen anyone of his standard this season.

We should get behind him and encourage him to stay next season.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Robert said:

Vigurs is pulling the strings in midfield. Some of his touches are amazing, even if some give us heart in mouth moments. I've not seen anyone of his standard this season.

We should get behind him and encourage him to stay next season.

Most definetly - the numpties who give him (& Polly) dogs abuse need to have a long hard look at themselves

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

He was my MoTM today.  So composed, and I thought he showed his class in second half when he used the wind several times to our advantage  kicking the ball into the air where it looked horribly misjudged but nope, he knew it'd hold up and thankfully his teammates read this. Really impressed by him today again.  

He has always had plenty of skill in abundance and he appears to have knuckled down to the task. Another good performance from him yesterday, especially in the first half, not so much in the second when Pars sussed his tactic a little, but overall he was the one pulling the strings.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
54 minutes ago, Caman said:

Hero or Villain. He can be both and often is. :amazed:

But I would rather have him than lose him. 

28 minutes ago, Robert said:

Agreed!

I agree with both of you on that, I still think he needs to give less backchat to the ref as he is never going to win and after reading reports and Robbos comments on the Livi game it looks like he was hard done by.

37 minutes ago, IBM said:

I agree with both of you on that, I still think he needs to give less backchat to the ref as he is never going to win and after reading reports and Robbos comments on the Livi game it looks like he was hard done by.

Refs will talk with each other and if you have a reputation for mouthing off to them, you will not get the benefit of the doubt, so you will be the loser. 

Vigurs disciplinary shortcomings will put other clubs off him. This might work in our advantage come the end of the season. 

If he could improve in this area of his game, it would benefit both him and the team also. 

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Caman said:

Refs will talk with each other and if you have a reputation for mouthing off to them, you will not get the benefit of the doubt, so you will be the loser. 

Vigurs disciplinary shortcomings will put other clubs off him. This might work in our advantage come the end of the season. 

If he could improve in this area of his game, it would benefit both him and the team also. 

Unfortunately he's turning into a bit of a liability - he is no good to us sitting in the bludy stand!

Vigurs was always a bright skillful player in a very dull Brewster team that got relegated, problem was he only got a 20 minute run and eventually lost patience. I'm surprised he didn't make it at Motherwell, could have been an attitude problem. I have no problem with players having attitude as long as it is directed towards their work and not against Managers or Referees. He can't defend to save himself he is too much of a ball watcher which was cruelly exposed last season, especially without Tansey behind him, ideally, you want him around the edge of the opposition box as the furthest forward midfielder with a holding player behind him in a 4 man midfield or as a no 10, he also has a good free kick in him and an eye for goal. Given the relatively poor quality in this division one would hope he can stand out and weigh in with some goals. I get the feeling that he is a player who needs bigging up by the Manager to get the best out of him as he seems to be easily discouraged which leads to his mouthing off at referees rather than knuckling down to the battle. I think he could be much better if our forwards were banging in the goals, I know I would be frustrated if chance after chance was squandered.

11 minutes ago, wynthank15 said:

Vigurs was always a bright skillful player in a very dull Brewster team that got relegated, problem was he only got a 20 minute run and eventually lost patience. I'm surprised he didn't make it at Motherwell, could have been an attitude problem. I have no problem with players having attitude as long as it is directed towards their work and not against Managers or Referees. He can't defend to save himself he is too much of a ball watcher which was cruelly exposed last season, especially without Tansey behind him, ideally, you want him around the edge of the opposition box as the furthest forward midfielder with a holding player behind him in a 4 man midfield or as a no 10, he also has a good free kick in him and an eye for goal. Given the relatively poor quality in this division one would hope he can stand out and weigh in with some goals. I get the feeling that he is a player who needs bigging up by the Manager to get the best out of him as he seems to be easily discouraged which leads to his mouthing off at referees rather than knuckling down to the battle. I think he could be much better if our forwards were banging in the goals, I know I would be frustrated if chance after chance was squandered.

Iain's main issue at Motherwell (at least latterly, led to his release) was, I believe, down to a serious back injury which (I think) required surgery.

Vaguely remember an interview he gave when he re-signed with us where he said that his back problem was actually causing him to lose feeling in his left foot/leg...not much use to a left footed player....

18 hours ago, jingsmonty said:

Iain's main issue at Motherwell (at least latterly, led to his release) was, I believe, down to a serious back injury which (I think) required surgery.

Vaguely remember an interview he gave when he re-signed with us where he said that his back problem was actually causing him to lose feeling in his left foot/leg...not much use to a left footed player....

As someone who has had back surgery and chronic disc problems I can empathise with him, constant leg pain will wear you down and make you crotchety.

He is now a senior pro for younger lads to look to for leadership he needs to cut out the chat to referees and concentrate on his game, he could be a massive influence if he plays to his potential and stays on the park. I can forgive a player taking one for the team but dissent really is the most childish and needless of bookings, it also ensures that referees will give you no benefit of the doubt in a 50/50 challenge.

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/01/2018 at 2:29 PM, wynthank15 said:

As someone who has had back surgery and chronic disc problems I can empathise with him, constant leg pain will wear you down and make you crotchety.

He is now a senior pro for younger lads to look to for leadership he needs to cut out the chat to referees and concentrate on his game, he could be a massive influence if he plays to his potential and stays on the park. I can forgive a player taking one for the team but dissent really is the most childish and needless of bookings, it also ensures that referees will give you no benefit of the doubt in a 50/50 challenge.

Seen a mention on twitter that Dunfemline are after him. Hope not. But, we have managed ok in the last two games without him. There will be life after Vigurs, but I would rather he stays. That would be the general consensus now IMO, something that would probably not have been said a few months ago in the dark days of late summer/early autumn. 

At this stage of his career,  and given his age, Vigures will be looking for one last big pay day, a good signing on fee and a healthy wage. I would love for him to stay with ICT but it would be no surprise to me if he moves on. We thought we couldn't replace Tansey and Vigures stepped up to the plate, so there will always be a player who will grab his chance when it comes along. I think Robbo will have been thinking that this scenario could occur,  given that his contract was running down, and would have been thinking about replacements. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, IBM said:

Derek Adams is interested in taking him to Plymouth according to today's P&J. 

If I was him I'd take that opportunity in a second tbh. 

They are still in with a shout at Championship football next season.