The Liam Polworth Enigma

Robert

15 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

Polworths our best player by a country mile dunno how his boo boys can't see that but like the fans who slagged of yogi they'll only miss the water when the well runs dry! Wish Polly all the best if he goes but hopefully he'll sign a new deal when we win the play offs!

No he isn't. He has the potential to be very good but is way too inconsistent week to week and does have an attitude problem at times. How many times has Polworth made good surging runs only to delay passing to men in space or give the ball away. He can be lazy as well not tracking back when required and frequently blames his team mates when passes/things go wrong. Don't get me wrong, I would rather have him in our squad but our best player, on this season's form, he certainly isn't and that's by a country mile as well. We certainly haven't missed Yogi either and other clubs don't seem to think he is up to much either. Given that he is a pundit on midweek Sportsound, that sums up his level of ability.

• Agree 3
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, Huisdean said:

No he isn't. He has the potential to be very good but is way too inconsistent week to week and does have an attitude problem at times. How many times has Polworth made good surging runs only to delay passing to men in space or give the ball away. He can be lazy as well not tracking back when required and frequently blames his team mates when passes/things go wrong. Don't get me wrong, I would rather have him in our squad but our best player, on this season's form, he certainly isn't and that's by a country mile as well. We certainly haven't missed Yogi either and other clubs don't seem to think he is up to much either. Given that he is a pundit on midweek Sportsound, that sums up his level of ability.

He's way better than any of the other midfielders on our books tho tbf he can be lazy at times! But like I said when he's replaced with some clogger you'll miss him! Didn't miss yogi we missed him that much we got relagated ffs!

4 hours ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

Wherever he ends up it will be ICT's loss, all down to these idiotic 'boo boys' who have been on his case for years.  No doubt they have already decided who to target next.  

So it’s because people moan at him that he’ll be leaving? Surely if a bigger team comes in anybody would be off. Being nice to Shinnie didn’t stop him furthering his career. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

I like polworth and would rather keep him if we could but he is replaceable. Over the years we have lost far greater players in the first division and found new players that can fill the boots. 

In the past perhaps but our shocking recruitment strategy from the last few years to replace the likes of Shinnie, Watkins, Christie etc would suggest otherwise and is part of the reason we are in the state we are in now. 

Edited by RiG

1 hour ago, RiG said:

In the past perhaps but our shocking recruitment strategy from the last few years to replace the likes of Shinnie, Watkins, Christie etc would suggest otherwise and is part of the reason we are in the state we are in now. 

I think there’s a difference between replacing players when we are 3rd/4th in the top flight to replacing them in the first division.

1 hour ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

I think there’s a difference between replacing players when we are 3rd/4th in the top flight to replacing them in the first division.

True, apologies I missed the part of your post that mentioned first division :smile:

ETA: I have more confidence in Robbo to replace anyone departing the club than Foran or Hughes. Shame his hands are tied so much though with budgets. 

Edited by RiG

7 hours ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

I like polworth and would rather keep him if we could but he is replaceable. Over the years we have lost far greater players in the first division and found new players that can fill the boots. 

The 'lesser spotted' Beith perhaps?

7 hours ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

All players are replaceable but we are a better team with Liam than without and I am in no doubt that our prospect of promotion would be diminished if he goes.

16 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

All players are replaceable but we are a better team with Liam than without and I am in no doubt that our prospect of promotion would be diminished if he goes.

When you consider 66% of ICT goals this season were direct assists (2 out of every 3 goals) that is a big hole to fill. 
But his fate was sealed back in August when the "fans" sang abusive songs about his family, there was no coming back from that.

12 minutes ago, AncientMariner said:

When you consider 66% of ICT goals this season were direct assists (2 out of every 3 goals) that is a big hole to fill. 
But his fate was sealed back in August when the "fans" sang abusive songs about his family, there was no coming back from that.

That was disgraceful and, despite our diminishing crowds, the TCS would be a far better place without those idiots in attendance.

6 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

That was disgraceful and, despite our diminishing crowds, the TCS would be a far better place without those idiots in attendance.

Absolutely, but it's not just the knuckle-draggers in the North Stand, a lot of the weekly abuse comes for various areas of the main stand - typically males aged 55+ who then act all hurt when you tell them to STFU.
Anyway, pointless argument now, Polworth is leaving and who can blame him? 

The title of the thread is well put....

If he was consistently accurate and consistently committed  and scoring we wouldn't be discussing this.

But he isn't and we are. Good player but always in Christies shadow - now he's had his chance to pull the strings but hasn't fulfilled the promise like Ryan did. 

Maybe he'll get his mojo back playing with a more mobile midfield.

Good luck to him.

We move on.

• Facepalm 2

^ have to agree, our creativity is stifled this season by not having a strong midfield enforcer type to protect Polly and Doran to be more free and expressive. The effectiveness of Polly could have been more if given the support around him. I have been critical on occasion however I think based on the team this season his stats have been good, the problem is that he is being restricted and trying to provide defensive cover as well as create but its not his game or strength so can at times play in a way open to criticism. Right now he is doing too much in a game and more often not his primary skillset due to the circumstances.

4 hours ago, AncientMariner said:

Are you suggesting Polworth has provided 66% of the assists this season?  According to the BBC stats for league games he has provided 7 assists which is 26%.  It is still a very decent contribution but as he takes many of the set pieces he does have a bit of an advantage over others.  Tom Walsh has had 6 assists with 90 minutes less game time and has scored 5 goals to Polworth's one, so it looks as though we already have a midfielder contributing more to the team.

There is no excuse for the abuse Polworth has received but there is no doubt that he is hugely frustrating to watch.  He does some great stuff at times but then gives the ball away needlessly and seems to go awol for short spells.  Having emerged in the shadow of Draper, Tansey and Vigurs, he's had a real opportunity this season to impose himself on matches as the established, experienced midfielder in the side.  He's not really done that, and whilst on balance I would rather have him in the side than not, I don't think his departure will significantly weaken the side.

It is strange that some folk seem to think Polworth, with 1 goal and 7 assists in 1760 minutes of football is an indispensable member of the side, yet White, with 6 goals and 1 assist in 1178 minutes on the park, is "gash".  It is really disappointing that Polworth  has not  realised the promise that he showed from such an early age  but there are other players in the side who seem to be developing and maturing faster than him.  In addition, there are very promising youngsters coming through the ranks who hopefully will have more of the Ryan Christie mindset than the Liam Polworth one.  It is not so much a question of Polworth leaving a hole to fill, it is more a question of others squeezing him out of it. 

• Agree 6