18 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

In all honesty, I don't think we were too far off Falkirk. They should be more concerned than us if that's the best they have to offer. Early days.

You will have noticed yesterday they beat us 2-0...... that's how far off we are . We concede 2 and barely have a few shots on target..... that's how far off we are, not to mention the performance against Stirling Albion !!!!!!

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Really. We gifted them the second. Have a wee think, what did Falkirk do in the second half. You are entitled to your opinion, as am I, and I stand by mine. By the end of the season I don't think we will far behind them.

• Agree 3

The reality is that we have a fair way to go for this team to be challenging for the title, Robbo needs to sort out the midfield, Chalmers is very poor, and i would imagine he'll be at most a squad player when we have wingers fit, Polworth never plays well from wide, and Draper was playing from deep, we need him driving forward more.

Zeksusan is either a slim walrus, or he is not match fit, he looked lost yesterday, i hope he can improve as there was no signs that him and Baird can work together, not all that impressed with Baird, he moaned about others missing, and he then missed a sitter!

Our central defence needs sorted out , both our guys got caught ball watching and  the Falkirk forwards took advantage, Elsdon looks a bit slow and clumsy, maybe just needs games to sharpen up.

Falkirk looked sharper and looked like they wanted to win more, ICT huffed and puffed in the second half but we lacked a fair bit of composure in the last third, also build up was painful to watch at times, Think Robbo has a fair job on his hands this time. 

21 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Don't say that!!! For the love of God watch what you say about vigurs or you run the risk of incurring the old caley girl wrath, and the red dots of her cleeky minions 

Cleeky minions???? Youve really missed the point of a forum havent you? Obviously your opinion not for challenging then. 

Edited by old caley girl
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

Yesterday's team had 4 players who started last year. It will take time to gel as a unit and some of the comments are a bit OTT.

We do look lacking in cutting edge up front though. Not helped by the fact that all 3 of our wingers are currently out injured.

Strange how last week's win over Brechin brought dancing in the streets from some folk, yet when we lose to Falkirk those same people claim this competition is just glorified friendlies...

• Agree 3

23 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Don't say that!!! For the love of God watch what you say about vigurs or you run the risk of incurring the old caley girl wrath, and the red dots of her cleeky minions 

This constant carping about Vigurs is simply not justified. In the two games I have seen so far, he has been one of our better players. He seems top be a whipping boy for some of our support, if her doesn't play well, then by all means criticise but some posters on here will criticise him before a game even starts or when he plays well. Lets get behind all our players.

As for yesterdays game, agree with most of what has been said. Thought Seedorf was MoM and really only Vigurs, Draper and Baird get pass marks. Ridgers does not inspire any confidence in goal and defensively, apart from Seedorf, thought we were very poor. How Chalmers stayed on for 90 minutes is beyond me as he was very poor. "Susan" played well like a Susan although he wasn't helped by some very poor refereeing which had him being continually fouled. Polworth was poor again. Oaklet and Cooper looked okay when they came on. As others have said, we gifted Falkirk both their goals and they only had one other worthwhile chance that I can recall. Main concern for me was that we did not create a lot either, as was the case against Brechin but still early days yet.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

I think the big difference over the course of the game was the difference in the Falkirk attack against ours.  We had the majority of the possession and were far more on top in the second half.  Looks at the difference up-front though - if we swapped Polworth, Baird and Zschusschen for Austin, Hippolyte and Rory Loy, would we have won the game?  Probably.  Baird certainly puts the effort in but I doubt he'll score more than ten goals this season.  Polworth was once again wasted wide while Zschusschen looked absolutely hopeless.

And another thing - yesterday, especially in the first half, when we attacked it was like John Hughes was back in charge.  Chalmers, Vigurs and Polworth are all decent from range, yet we were back trying to pass the ball into the net.  So infuriating.

2 hours ago, old caley girl said:

Cleeky minions???? Youve really missed the point of a forum havent you? Obviously your opinion not for challenging then. 

I don't mind someone challenging my opinion, simply calling it nonsense backs up your argument with zero 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

13 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

I don't mind someone challenging my opinion, simply calling it nonsense backs up your argument with zero 

I provided evidence that he doesnt leave early  Youve backed up nothing. Anyway Im a grown up so Im done 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, tm4tj said:

Really. We gifted them the second. Have a wee think, what did Falkirk do in the second half. You are entitled to your opinion, as am I, and I stand by mine. By the end of the season I don't think we will far behind them.

You are indeed entitled to your opinion and I respect that. Having had "a wee think" about the second half as you suggest, Falkirk didn't have to work too hard to hang on to their lead, our play made sure they didn't have to. I think the main difference was that they took their gifted chances and we didn't, nor indeed create many. We can only judge on where we see now, not what we imagine might be the case at the end of the season. 

Edited by MuirtownJaggy
  • Agree 2

I agree with most of what's been said, but it is too early to judge what sort of season we have in store.

We have a new Manager settled not in, who has made a good impression on rhe when led in nterviews, although frustration showed yesterday.

We have 10 new players, the biggest ever change in one close season?

7 of them started yesterday, with 2 coming off the bench, and a potentially good signing out injured.

4 of our remaining squad from last season have injuries, and we will be stronger with them back.

We also have Fon Williams still on the payroll and another potentially on the way out, presumed to be Raven.

We have a tough league opening, so a difficult August ahead that could set the tone, positively or negatively.

I doubt we can get one of the best runner up positions in the cup, so hopefully the Clach and Forfar games help the squad gel. Probably worth another friendly in the midweek before the league opener.

Roll on 5 August for the next home instalment!

5 hours ago, Polo Chick said:

I rarely comment on here for fear of my opinion getting shot down in flames by some! Yesterdays game was poor from us but i have every confidence in JR to sort it we have to remember the mess left behind by Foran and the fool who let him make the mess so there will be players low on confidence but my we have a Gem in Seedorf who stood out yesterday and i thought Vigurs stepped up to the mark yesterday never thought id be writing that! Teams like Falkirk & DU will be the "big games" this season so lets take yesterday as a trial and move on and learn from it.

Pretty much spot on - the performance was disappointing but is a good guide as to what we need to do to progress this season.

I think we will improve as the players get more used to each other - there are positive signs there, but probably needed a reality check after the Brechin game.

Definetly re-iterate the other comments on here that we seem to have unearthed a gem in Seedorf! Like the look of Oakley too & I think once Baird gets off the mark, he will be a wee goal machine..

Misplaced optimism? Maybe, but hopefully not!

My eyes are dim, I canna see

I hope that youse will keep on advising me

No matter whether Caley wins or  loses

I won't shed a tear 'cos I'm aff fur snoozes.

Life is short and life is hard

That's why I'm desperately trying to emulate the Bard

But now it's late and time for bed

I'll sleep happy sae lang as youse keep thinking Owd Scarlet's  jist another Ned.

:wave:

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, tm4tj said:

I agree with this. First half on Saturday was  rank rotten. Second half was better, but no real bite in attack. Oakley must start next game. Zschuschen and Baird are yet to convince me that they are good enough. 

Re above quote, I think this season may have to be about building a team, as opposed to going straight back up. This might be better in the long run rather than go up and then straight back down again. 

Think the team need to 'find their feet' on the park. It's basically a new team, new manager, new league, new era etc. Likewise, the Board need to 'find their seat' in the Boardroom and where this journey is taking us and at what speed.

Patience is a virtue. :ictscarf:

Edited by Guest

Sorry cannot agree. We are  were an established top flight club and need to be in the top division. We cannot afford to become another Dunfermline, St Mirren or Falkirk floating around the second tier, we must aim high and that means going straight back up.

• Agree 2

38 minutes ago, forresjags said:

Sorry cannot agree. We are  were an established top flight club and need to be in the top division. We cannot afford to become another Dunfermline, St Mirren or Falkirk floating around the second tier, we must aim high and that means going straight back up.

Agreed. This season, we have a parachute payment that could give us the edge financially over other championship teams with larger fan bases. Willie Finlayson said himself that we need to make that edge count this year. If we don't, we could be lingering in the Championship for years. I'm just thankful that these Betfred cup games aren't league games counting for valuable Championship points. However, lessons absolutely have to be learned and learned fast.

• tm4tj unpinned this topic