16 Team SPL

Harry Chibber

Yes might be less revenue to start with but if we make a change and try to unveil a more exciting, diverse league with more teams, more managers points of views, tactics etc.. and more player competing on a similar level then I would hope that more people would come to watch and greater sponsorship deals would be offered.  Also with less games in a season I guarantee the attendance s will go up due to cheaper season tickets.  More talent would be on offer and teams would actually try and play football with less fear of falling into the relegation battle.  A play off situation at the end of the season for those in the relegation positions. 

Something needs to be done because to be honest Scottish Football has been stale for a long time!

Less games does not necessarily equal less revenue.

As Chibber has already said, it could mean cheaper Season Tickets, increasing the number purchased and offsetting the loss.

You also have the situation whereby we play a bigger variety of teams, this reduces the "I'll not bother this time, we can go see us play them later in the season" scenario we currently have with playing some teams twice at home/away, which may just encourage a few more along to the "smaller" games.

Prior to David Sutherland stepping down as Chairman of ICT he eluded to their being growing support from SPL clubs to do away with the split.  I have a transcript of the meeting somewhere, but I think he mentioned more of a push toward a 10 team SPL as opposed to 16.  As far as I am concerned a move to 10 teams would be self defeating as what we need to do is inject more variety into the season not make it even more mundane - I'd rather have the current setup than reduce the number of teams any further.

Whatever happens, something needs to be done and the SPL/SFL/SFA need to start listening to the fans to find out what they want as they are the customer and only a fool fails to listen to their customers.

Do you think the club accountants would like to see us play 3 or 4 fewer home games? naa... cant see it. especially if was against the old firm or Aberdeen and the full house.

Unless they try a cup for the bottom 6 or 8 teams like we used to have in the old Welfare league.. used to call it the duffers cup  :015:

18 teams would be better in my opinion, or even 20.

38 league games in a season would be reasonable.

30 hardly justifies the wages the players are on, though I doubt if they'd complain.

And rename the SPL,  Division 1. And call the remaining 22 teams Division 2. A return to sensible naming of divisions would be appreciated. Just look at the English League now to see how ridiculous it can get - Premiership, First, Championship - how many other ways are there of saying "best"?

I'd go for a 16 top league, 3 x 12 lower leagues and, as feeders, a Highland league, an East central and a West central

Bottom two in top league play off with top two in next and so on to bottom league where bottom 3 play off with winners of each of feeder leagues. Relegated teams from bottom league slot into feeder leagues depending on geographical location.

Where would the additional teams come from? There are plenty junior and amatuer teams in the country who could hold their own in the lower divisions of the scottish leagues.

As things are at the moment all lower scottish league teams can enter 3 cup competitions. Scottish Cup, Challenge cup and CIS cup. Premier teams can enter Scottish and CIS so why not, as well as the league competition introduce a Premier league cup k.o competition. This would provide some additional games to offset the reduction to 30