500 and still going

Laurence

England fast bowler James Anderson bowled Kraigg Brathwaite to reach 500 Test match wickets, only the sixth bowler in history to reach that mark.

Anderson took 129 matches to break 500 and those wickets came at just over 27 runs apiece and became the first Englishman to break 500. 

• Agree 2

I don't often say this and it may be a while before I do so again but a green dot for Laurence from me. A fine bowler in all conditions who was also the first English bowler to reach four hundred wickets and, if he stays fit, stands a good chance of surpassing the fantastic Glen McGrath to become the most prolific seam bowler of all time.

Well done Jimmy and well said Laurence.

• Agree 1

• 1 year later...

Very well done Jimmy Anderson. Now the leading, fast bowling, wicket taker of all time.

A testament not just to his skill but to his fitness and longevity. A seam bowler's body takes more punishment than almost any other sportsman but there he is still going strong at thirty six and looking for for one last hurrah at next Summer's ashes. Retiring after that series with perhaps six hundred test wickets under his belt would be a hugely fitting end to a fine fine career. Even if he is a grumpy Lancastrian bugger!

• Agree 1

• 1 year later...

... not related totally to this topic, and it sent me off on quite a tangent ...... but I remember in my younger day going to Hampden for Kenny Dalglish's 100th appearance. We had a banner with us that day ... "King Kenny 100 not out .... Better than Botham" who I think was having a bit of a bad summer that year (1986) ....  

Off topic, and i apologise ...but it was a great game, 60K in the national stadium to see a 3-0 victory over Romania, Kenny got his commemorative cap from Franz Beckenbauer, and from our position in Section J (Rangers end) we witnessed it as section J started chanting "feed the bear" after Big Roy Aitken scored his first ever goal for Scotland .... great memories.