Unhealthy diets/poor fitness levels

dougal

Reports all be it from Pie and Bovril that a well known Pizza company delivered en masse to the ICT coach before it departed on the long road north after the game

Ive also heard Ross County were quite shocked how bad Ross Drapers fitness levels when he arrived 

Could there be something in this? Hence the terrible start to the season and also it may explain the serious decline since the Scottish Cup Win

Ok most will blame Ridgers or Vigurs as they seem to be the scapegoats for yesterday but maybe the real problem is a lot deeper than that 

Dougal

Edited by dougal
  • Funny 1

One of the main reasons Claudio Ranieri got sacked by Leicester was that the players were pissed off when he banned their post-match fried chicken the season after they won the title. I think the main issue here is that Domino's is substantially worse than Papa John's (and I'm not talking about Papa John Robertson).

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, dougal said:

Reports all be it from Pie and Bovril that a well known Pizza company delivered en masse to the ICT coach before it departed on the long road north after the game

Ive also heard Ross County were quite shocked how bad Ross Drapers fitness levels when he arrived 

Could there be something in this? Hence the terrible start to the season and also it may explain the serious decline since the Scottish Cup Win

Ok most will blame Ridgers or Vigurs as they seem to be the scapegoats for yesterday but maybe the real problem is a lot deeper than that 

Dougal

When you say the ICT coach do you mean the team bus or John Robertson?

Sports science is absent at ICT. It might be about marginal gains, but we need every bit of help we can get. You don't need to invest in anybody to tell pros what they should eating. The occasional pizza after a game is not a problem, but what do they have before a game? Does anybody care?

22 minutes ago, Shorty said:

And I wonder who or indeed which junk food companies, funded the research in question? If you are prepared to pay for the service, it's possible to get any results you want for "academic" research. The newspapers don't help either. Every day you'll find sensational copy about what will kill you and what will make you live to 100. Indeed you may well find that in different papers, or indeed in the same paper a respectable time apart, the same foodstuffs will do both.

In any case, what is alleged to have been delivered to a team bus to eat on the way home isn't what will tend to aid recovery because that's too long post-match. The best expert advice is something with quickly absorbable sweet carbohydrate (ie not starchy stuff which is far slower) with a certain amount of protein content as well within 30 minutes of exercise, if it's been anaerobic, which football to a fair extent is. My own preferred items include jelly beans, jelly babies, milk shakes, Lucozade sport and "full fat" Irn Bru.

But has this thread not progressed quite a distance from an extremely anecdotal OP from a renowned fisherman?

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Shorty said:

Tiny study, but the evidence is indeed turning on this. We need protein, carbs and -yes - fat to recover and repair, so is it surprising that foods that contain these groups do the biz? Recovery is half of the equation: preparation is the other, and there is much stronger evidence surrounding what to eat and when before matches. IHE will be disappointed that 8 pints and a few pies are not top of the Friday night menu for a superb performance at 3pm on Saturday! ?Again, it isn't rocket science, but marginal gains might just make the difference on the day.

Sports science is a huge part of the game these days and the majority of full time clubs in Scotland are embracing forward thinking ,sadly something we at ICT seem to be somewhat lacking in

Ok I appreciate we have more than a fair share of happy clappers in here but can anyone honestly envisage the PSG bus pull up to the blue lagoon on argyle street tomorrow night to let Neymar,Draxler, Mbappe and Cavani etc off so they can get battered haggis or mars bars?

They are classed and paid well as professional athletes they ought to know what they should or should not be eating

Its obvious we are going to need as much help as possible this season so maybe we should be looking into hiring a nutritionist to point the players in the right direction at  the very least 

I have no problem if this was a one off but it appears to be a common occurrence according to some posters which I find quite staggering

Dougal

Edited by dougal

13 minutes ago, Alex MacLeod said:

As a former sportsperson, albeit not professional, I was always advised that foods like pizza and pasta were best to recharge energy levels after high activity as those were high in carbohydrates

As a former elite athlete I can concur with Alex's statement. We used to spend all week training and preparing for the next fixture and once completed we were allowed to eat high carb and high protein foods to help with recovery. Chicken and Chips was always my favourite. The carbs help to recover energy levels and the protein helps with muscle recovery. We even got a day off on a Sunday with no training! We are all human and despite what people think, elite athletes are not machines.