Scotty

26 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

There's now a 5 point gap between 7 sides competing for the playoffs and 3 sides battling to avoid the relegation spots. Hard to believe we are in the latter group, but we fully deserve to be there.

Robbo has done a truly terrible job so far, in terms of recruitment, tactics and player selection, organisation of the team and management of the dressing room. It is often said, with some justification, that he needs time to get things right, but the very concerning problem is that since the start of the season we have not been getting better. I currently have no faith in his ability to turn it around.

I agree. However, I have even less faith in the club doing anything about it in timely fashion.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Robert said:

Not good!

As an aside, who was our no 27 today on the bench? Mackay, but no one shown with that number f the squad list in the club website.

Another new face?

He scored the other night against Brora. Play him and the other youngsters. They will be up for it unlike the useless 'objects' that have started up until now. 

Unacceptable. But what to do? We have 2 or 3 decent players and a bunch of dead-beats who care not whether ICT drift into oblivion. We have 2 seasons (max) to stay a full time outfit IMO and somebody who cares needs to grow a pair and make that clear to the manager and playing staff. Staying up will be a challenge: Best get used to that reality.

• Agree 3

Today should probably serve as a reality check for people who have been seeing reasons for optimism in the fact that we have started several games quite well this season. Today was another example of that - we got ahead early and kept possession well for the first twenty-five minutes or so. By half time, though, it was clear that our movement up front, particularly from Oakley, was without clear purpose or game awareness, and that we had very little penetration down the flanks - Bell seemed to start wide but was drifting inside from early on, and Tremarco is far more effective in an attacking role when he's overlapping on the counter-attack at pace, rather than playing as a conventional left winger, which is where he was started today. Steve Aitken probably told his players at half time that if they took the game to us in the second half, we wouldn't know how to respond and our frailty at the back would let them in, and so it proved: the equaliser was a volley by a player in too much space from a simple lobbed cross, the winner came from a free kick that we couldn't get clear; standard for ICT so far this season, and against a team that barely threatened in the first half. In response, our players either seemed hell-bent on taking the ball into the most crowded areas of midfield and promptly losing any momentum or fluency, or punting it long and losing it altogether; we created next to nothing of note. 

No-one really played well: Tremarco and Polworth tried hard, and OFW was an upgrade on Ridgers; Trafford and Bell were decent in the first half but both tired badly; and Donaldson and Chalmers deserve special mention, Donaldson for the quite remarkable badness of his distribution from the back, and Chalmers for shiteing out of a challenge which he was probably 70-30 favourite to win. Oh, and whatever the question is up front, Oakley isn't the answer and never will be.

No point in calling for Robertson's head, as it would presumably just cost us even more money that we don't have, but if he walked tonight I'd be fairly happy, although still angry at the mess he's made of spending the small budget that he was given. And of course, more questions about the competence of those running the club: if Robertson didn't care enough about the job to apply for it, why on earth was he offered it in the first place?          

Edited by alternative maryhill
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

Very worrying times lies ahead i fear. Forget promotion its just not going to happen. If we can finish away from relegation at this moment i would grab it with both hands. The saddest thing for me is only going back 2 or 3 seasons we had a great team with some great players. Now we have the poorest team Caley Thistle has had for i don,t know how many seasons.  A rebuild of the squad has just been done at the club and without a doubt another one is required asap, Well at the end of the season. I think now is the time to start looking for the right players to get this club moving in the right direction again. Have a list ready for the end of the season. Sadly having a good think i honestly cant see many of the current squad i would be confident in taking the club forward again. Sad times and even worse the club has been allowed to go into free fall. The last 12 months is the worse i have seen since the club was founded. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, MuirtownJaggy said:

Down to 10 men and trailing at Dumbarton. How low can we go ?????? :(

Answer - the Highland League and a New Year Derby with Clach on 31/12/2020.

Edited by Guest

Bit of a deja vu : except we're a division lower...........

Just when you think things can't get any worse!

Not quite found our level yet it seems.

I'll take 10th now.

Pele's teams would have thrashed any of the teams we've had in the last 15 months.

18 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

don't think there is any justification in being so personal Caman 

Ok. I will de-personalise it and word it more 'nicely'. Could the useless tube who manages ICT go back to Levein's Boys Club please. 

From Dumbarton fans on Pie & Bovril

After 1st half: 

"We lose the first goal and the heads go down. We're sitting back and inviting them to attack us. Which they're doing half heartedly."

"Caley Thistle aren't helping. They seem content to play at a pedestrian pace, secure on the knowledge that we pose absolutely no risk. This is as insipid and dull as football gets."

After full-time: 

"Inverness dominated the 1st half and should have been 2 or 3 up ... You could see though how devoid of confidence Inverness are. As soon as we equalised they fell apart."

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, cif73 said:

From Dumbarton fans on Pie & Bovril

After 1st half: 

"We lose the first goal and the heads go down. We're sitting back and inviting them to attack us. Which they're doing half heartedly."

"Caley Thistle aren't helping. They seem content to play at a pedestrian pace, secure on the knowledge that we pose absolutely no risk. This is as insipid and dull as football gets."

After full-time: 

"Inverness dominated the 1st half and should have been 2 or 3 up ... You could see though how devoid of confidence Inverness are. As soon as we equalised they fell apart."

Robertson was saying before the game that the poor performances are all in the mind and this rather backs it up.  We have started brightly on a number of occasions but confidence is so low that scoring a goal leads to nervousness about whether we can hold onto the lead and we simply can't exploit the advantage the lead gives us.  If we hadn't passed up chances to extend the lead in the first half then this thread could have been all about maybe having turned a corner.  Instead, we lose a goal too easily in the 2nd half and then lose the plot, our captain and the match.

It is easy to see why our players are so lacking in confidence.  There may or may not be issues within the club that are causing tensions but aside from that we have a team consisting of players who were relegated last season, players recovering from significant injury (in some cases both) and players who have been bought in because they were cheap and who were cheap because their recent form is such that no-one will pay more for them.  It must be frustrating for the manager  seeing players do things well in training but then coming up short on match days, but something will happen at some point to make things click.

Remember when we were relegated under Butcher.  We didn't start the season too great but we finished it pretty well!  I'm not suggesting for a moment that I am expecting us to win the division, but I am confident that we will bottom out from this free-fall pretty soon and become competitive in this division.  

• Agree 1
  • Facepalm 2

34 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Robertson was saying before the game that the poor performances are all in the mind and this rather backs it up.  We have started brightly on a number of occasions but confidence is so low that scoring a goal leads to nervousness about whether we can hold onto the lead and we simply can't exploit the advantage the lead gives us.  If we hadn't passed up chances to extend the lead in the first half then this thread could have been all about maybe having turned a corner.  Instead, we lose a goal too easily in the 2nd half and then lose the plot, our captain and the match.

It is easy to see why our players are so lacking in confidence.  There may or may not be issues within the club that are causing tensions but aside from that we have a team consisting of players who were relegated last season, players recovering from significant injury (in some cases both) and players who have been bought in because they were cheap and who were cheap because their recent form is such that no-one will pay more for them.  It must be frustrating for the manager  seeing players do things well in training but then coming up short on match days, but something will happen at some point to make things click.

Remember when we were relegated under Butcher.  We didn't start the season too great but we finished it pretty well!  I'm not suggesting for a moment that I am expecting us to win the division, but I am confident that we will bottom out from this free-fall pretty soon and become competitive in this division.  

Just like Brewster's second term...

• Agree 1

This all begs the question about the role of our Directors in the last two years. Are they deliberately trying to get us back to part time football to keep the overheads down to a more manageable level?

I used to be so proud of the fact that we had kept on improving year on year after being admitted to the Scottish Senior Leagues. Now it's just hugely embarrassing to see how far we have fallen since we won the SFA Cup.

Time for Robbo to be binned along with his poor signings before we become even more of a laughing stock.

• Agree 1

• Scotty changed the title to Dumbarton -V- Inverness CT
  • tm4tj unpinned this topic