Robertson Out

You do wonder if our last 2 managers leaving means we effectively can't afford to sack manager or assistant. 

Rice is contracted to the end of the season. I don't think we can afford to pay him off and pay another assistant wage. 

I reckon if the money was there to move them and replace them it would have happened already. 

23 hours ago, Council Juice said:

You do wonder if our last 2 managers leaving means we effectively can't afford to sack manager or assistant. 

Not sure it would be as simple as that, who would replace him? How long would they get?

JR took over at a very difficult time and he didn't bring a magic wand. The confidence of the remaining team was shot to bits, battle weary from relegation and headless chicken management. Players were brought it on a small budget so it will take time to turn things around. Hopefully the last two games are something to work on and gain some traction. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

At least the Board gave us a good scapegoat in J Robertson to allow us to have the feeling that he alone is to blame. 

We all know, though, that that explanation is far too simple to really have any credibility. 

A few good wins and , miraculously, he will then turn into a hero, even a saviour. So let's just keep our fingers crossed and sit tight.

• Agree 2
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 2

I'm a little uneasy about the title of this thread - calling for a club employee to be sacked from his job having had little or no time to prove himself.

There is little doubt that Robertson knows the game and it is simply unfair to conclude, at this early stage, that he is not suitable for the job.

To make it worse, those calling for his head are ill-qualified to make such a career-changing decision.

I'm reminded of how he successfully plotted the downfall of a high-flying Celtic team who had just beaten Liverpool in a European competition, arguably a greater feat than that achieved by his predecessor over a Celtic team in disarray.

You don't just lose that tactical ability!

As Scarlet said, "Sit tight".

And enjoy the ride!

• Agree 4
  • Facepalm 1

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:20 AM, goballistic said:

A few good breaks would help as well.

Such a football cliché that fans seem to lap up. Bollox, there is nothing to do with luck, just as in life its about creating opportunities, working hard or efficiently in the right way and having a determination to succeed and get to a level of personal satisfaction - wherever that may be. People who whine about being unlucky use it as an excuse because they are unsatisfied with their position and don't want to admit it. 

For the last 2 seasons we have had managers who made excuses of being unlucky with refereeing decisions, unlucky with injuries, unlucky with results - citing when things a tough everything goes against you with fans and players believing it - no wonder there is a negative attitude around the club if people think the position we are in is due to bad luck - its really due to significant failings from management & players. 

Those who think questioning of the manager position is unfair - we have 1 win from 9 games and conceded 16 goals, that's a quarter of the season already gone. We failed to get out a League cup group that in reality had no 'big' team and while we are still progressing through the Challenge Cup its hardly impressive. The question has to be asked for how long does the club persist and is the prospect of relegation or a relegation play-off acceptable because that's the form we are showing? If there is a tremendous turn around and we storm up the table to fight for promotion, I will admit my error but so far there's no signs we are capable of this. 

14 hours ago, buckett said:

I'm a little uneasy about the title of this thread - calling for a club employee to be sacked from his job having had little or no time to prove himself.

There is little doubt that Robertson knows the game and it is simply unfair to conclude, at this early stage, that he is not suitable for the job.

To make it worse, those calling for his head are ill-qualified to make such a career-changing decision.

I'm reminded of how he successfully plotted the downfall of a high-flying Celtic team who had just beaten Liverpool in a European competition, arguably a greater feat than that achieved by his predecessor over a Celtic team in disarray.

You don't just lose that tactical ability!

As Scarlet said, "Sit tight".

And enjoy the ride!

Probably one of the most sensible comments on this thread - couldn't agree more! What a happy memory that night we knocked Celtic out of the cup at home, I was there!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jingsmonty said:

Probably one of the most sensible comments on this thread - couldn't agree more! What a happy memory that night we knocked Celtic out of the cup at home, I was there!

I was sitting beside a Celtic fan who had managed to sneak himself a ticket in the main stand. It was great seeing him go mental at his teams inability to break down our defence that night. One of my favourite moments as an ict fan. 

• Agree 1

On 19/10/2017 at 10:45 PM, buckett said:

Unfortunately there are people whom have their own agendas which conflicts with the progress of the club. I am certain JR is giving 100% and will prove himself given time and support. 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, AncientMariner said:

Unfortunately there are people whom have their own agendas which conflicts with the progress of the club. I am certain JR is giving 100% and will prove himself given time and support. 

No, there are some people very concerned about the prospects of a second successive relegation and the potential consequences of that for the long term future of the club.

That said, as I've said before on this thread and elsewhere, the current manager needs to be given a bit more time to try to turn things around, and there have been some encouraging signs lately but we can't possibly afford to repeat the mistakes of last season.

• Agree 3

Based on today, things on the park are improving well. Perhaps too late to challenge at the top, but we should be safe enough with signs we can build for next season.

It will be interesting once some of the injuries clear up too, as only then will we know the strength of the squad.

• Agree 1

Robert

I don't think it is ever too late to make the effort to change things for the better! And NO "ifs" or "buts". ......Just do it!

If it doesn't succeed 100% then the resolve and effort you have instigated will show you/us that we are now closer than we were before to the success and achievement that we all crave.

Remember, the farther up the ladder the team achieves success the harder they will try to  maintain the positive progress. 

Good luck John Robertson. You deserve a real break and all power to the lads on the park who seem to have been turned onto the right path and all power to their elbow.:ictscarf::notworthy:

That last emoticom is for IHE who seems to have woken up from his solstice slumber.:lol:

12 hours ago, caleyboy said:

I wish our only problems were football related. we seemingly now only have 3 directors with Thomson and Cameron having recently departed. please correct me if I'm wrong.

Imho we'd be better off with 0 directors. Their decision making over the past 2 years has been abominable!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

And, if these Directors  have invested resources in the club, from what source could/would the club regain these assets?  

I'm not against criticising Directors but knee jerk reactions initiated by way of some form of retaliation against their perceived, or even imagined,  weaknesses is not what I would suggest we contemplate....at least not before a fella with ample money in his Bank puts' his name forward as a potential replacement.:smile:

8 hours ago, RednBlackComeback said:

Imho we'd be better off with 0 directors. Their decision making over the past 2 years has been abominable!!

if it was in our articles I would  agree with you. however, the  company still needs to be managed competently which I don't think is happening at the moment. I think individual directors should have specific responsibilities such as football, marketing , finance, legal,  administration, customer relations etc etc.  They could then be held accountable..

Edited by caleyboy

30 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

if it was in our articles I would  agree with you. however, the  company still needs to be managed competently which I don't think is happening at the moment. I think individual directors should have specific responsibilities such as football, marketing , finance, legal,  administration, customer relations etc etc.  They could then be held accountable..

Many of these services can be outsourced but we certainly need at least one director, executive or otherwise, with knowledge and experience of the business and practice of football on the board.

We got away with it for a while whilst things were generally stable on the football management side but over the last three seasons have been increasingly exposed.

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

Many of these services can be outsourced but we certainly need at least one director, executive or otherwise, with knowledge and experience of the business and practice of football on the board.

We got away with it for a while whilst things were generally stable on the football management side but over the last three seasons have been increasingly exposed.

I agree but we can't afford to outsource these positions so to save money the directors are the only option.

Edited by caleyboy

On 9/25/2017 at 1:58 PM, Caley Stan said:

Robertson's failed to restore confidence to the side, and during the 2nd half on Saturday they showed a lack of desire and a loss of discipline. Some of his signings are so out of their depth (Ridgers, Elsdon, Chalmers, Oakley) that there is no trust between the players. He's changing the shape almost every week and never influences a game through substitutions or tactical changes.  

I'd take Houston or McIntyre in a minute. 

Happy to say i jumped the gun with the seething mess above. I still think Robbo made some poor signings and we are probably unable to challenge for the play-offs as a result, but he deserves a lot of credit for stabilising things. To take the side from that loss of discipline at Dumbarton to yesterday's solid, composed performance in a month without conceding a goal is some feat. 

On 23/09/2017 at 4:44 PM, PumpFake said:

The board's ludicrous "give the manager's job to someone who didn't even apply" experiment has failed. Robbo is a good guy but he is not what we need - the defence needs sorted out first and foremost and he is not the man to do it. The coaches can pack their bags as well. 

Another one

On 23/09/2017 at 6:15 PM, johnnykanu12 said:

The board has let the club down appointing a manager out of the game for as long as Robertson has, acquisitions have been very poor and players kept on are not showing their seniority in the squad.  Genuinely think we will be lucky to stay up at this rate.  Change is needed sooner rather than later! 

Another

On 24/09/2017 at 2:14 AM, Row S said:

Did he not do that at least twice, at C##nty and East Fife?

I have been told on good authority that the players won't play for him and that Terry Butcher is waiting in the wings to take over. It just gets worse!

Another

• Funny 1

Yes, credit to JR for the improvement over the past month.  He seems to have found a format that is working.  Let's hope we can now continue to improve.

On an optimistic note, I seem to remember that in our last promotion season, under Terry, we were pretty inconsistent up to Xmas, and only after that went on a good winning run, eventually leaving Dundee well in our wake..  Can history repeat itself?  I sincerely hope so.

On 24/09/2017 at 11:33 AM, old caley girl said:

Is it just me but does sound  like sack me? Even though he knows we cant. I now think he knows he is out of his depth and cant sort it. 

Oh and this team are not fit so yes there is a training issue. A few struggling vy half time!! 

Another