McIntyre sacked

DoofersDad

Mention of this on other threads but worth a thread of it's own I think.  I'm really surprised at this as he's done a pretty reasonable job.  It might be argued that his performance over the last couple of seasons is no better than his budget would suggest but he does face the problem of enticing players up North which, as we know to our cost, means players are more likely to sign down South unless we make it worth their while.  Also, bear in mind that County won the Development league last year which demonstrates a very solid foundation has been built there.

It is not as though he has had a disastrous start to the season. They have only lost to sides currently in the top 6 so I wonder just what McGregor is expecting from the management team (Dodds has gone as well).  It would appear that simply retaining Premiership status is not good enough for McGregor.  I wonder therefore if this signals some major new investment from Uncle Roy with a push for a serious challenge in the top 6?  After all, he will be paying a fair bit to pay off McIntyre and Dodds and then to recruit a new management team.  It seems to be pointless to do that if the ambition is simply to retain premiership status - after all, McIntyre has shown he is more than capable of doing that.

There may, of course be behind the scenes issues which have brought this on, but whatever the reason for the sacking, the identity of the new manager will likely be a good indication of the ambition of the County Chairman.  I'm putting my money on Richie Foran :tongueincheek:

In the exact same way fans of other teams were surprised when we canned Hughes but weren't aware of the other goings on at ICT the sacking of MacIntyre  at RC has shown just how little attention some of the country's "top" sports reporters pay to non OF teams. This is an excellent piece on the sacking and one of the few sports writers in Scotland who have actually bothered their backsides to go and research MacIntyre and his time at County. As Renegade says they've largely been garbage for several months now despite excellent financial backing. MacIntyre has signed a phenomenal number of players but still can't find a good setup to play them and often has his team playing brutal football.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/ross-county/why-jim-mcintyre-s-sacking-from-ross-county-wasn-t-much-of-a-surprise-1-4569378

• Agree 2

Yes, it is a good article which brings home a few points which aren't immediately obvious.  I was also reading through the comments on the story on the BBC website and the article does seem to reflect what several County fans were saying.  Whilst County are undoubtedly punching above their weight in terms of their support base, they are probably under-performing in terms of the investment into the club.  County have a relatively large squad and the article make a very valid point in suggesting that investment could have been targeted more effectively at fewer players.Perhaps the new manager will be looking to offload a few in the January window and bring in 2 or 3 quality players in key roles.  On reflection, McIntyre's sacking seems a more sensible decision than I, for one, had appreciated.

SkyBet have Owen Coyle installed as 5/1 on favourite.  Usually a as good as a done deal at those sort of odds.  Coyle has a decent record.  His win percentage may not be outstanding but much of his time has been spent with clubs in Lancashire for whom survival in the premiership is a major achievement.  Coyle would be quite a coup for County and would signal some serious intent from the club.

Hughes may have been interviewed but this was for something else.  McGregor has just moved house and is looking for a gardener.  The County Chairman heard that Yogi did very well on his gardening leave from us and so that is maybe where some confusion has arisen.

• Funny 1
  • Facepalm 1

14 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

SkyBet have Owen Coyle installed as 5/1 on favourite.  Usually a as good as a done deal at those sort of odds.  Coyle has a decent record.  His win percentage may not be outstanding but much of his time has been spent with clubs in Lancashire for whom survival in the premiership is a major achievement.  Coyle would be quite a coup for County and would signal some serious intent from the club.

Hughes may have been interviewed but this was for something else.  McGregor has just moved house and is looking for a gardener.  The County Chairman heard that Yogi did very well on his gardening leave from us and so that is maybe where some confusion has arisen.

A former Ross County player....................

• Funny 1

On 9/26/2017 at 10:11 AM, Biggin said:

That's an excellent article and shows why he was sacked - and in any fans view it was Boyce that kept them out of trouble last season

No mention of the big spat over MacIntyre's treatment of Scott Boyd though, which led to three other players leaving at the time.    

Coyle's odds have lengthened slightly to 1/3 with Alan Stubbs shortening at 4/1 and Paul Hartley 7/1.  Yogi is 12/1 and Butcher 16/1.  Ally McCoist is at 10/1 and Alex McLeish at 14/1 so it certainly looks as though a high profile appointment is likely.

County had a supporters evening Q&A session scheduled for this evening and yesterday they pushed it back (due to unforeseen circumstances!)  It is now taking place tomorrow so that hints at an announcement tomorrow.  

Owen Coyle to me is a one team man  ( similar to TB )

At Burnley he was the Bees knees and could do no wrong until he moved on, then he went from disaster to disaster - sounds familiar ?

So maybe as an ICT supporter it may be good news if he goes or has gone to Dingwall